2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

Wow. I remember.   One thing I forgot about was how in 2020 we didn’t really have normal conventions. Will we this year or do you think  they are a relic now?  Republic convention will be a **** show and should help Biden quite a bit. 

37 minutes ago, oblong said:

Wow. I remember.   One thing I forgot about was how in 2020 we didn’t really have normal conventions. Will we this year or do you think  they are a relic now?  Republic convention will be a **** show and should help Biden quite a bit. 

They kinda got themselves in a bind with the VP pick, I think. They can't have another firebreather like Trump going wackaloon at the convention, because that will drive away a marginal number of remaining moderates, but soft personalities like Tim Scott isn't gonna fire anyone up, either, even though Trump might pick him to try to bamboozle teh blacks. But yeah, if the speeches there are basically a parade of people calling in to Washington Journal on the Republican line, I would think they're gonna be toast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

I predict Katie Britt or Elise Stefanik to try and win back suburban moms.

Kari Lake?

Karui Lake and Elise Stefanik are firebreathers who would continually expose themselves as, pardon the expression, shrews, and Americans hate shrews. Katie Britt is a national joke and doesn't have the gravitas to recover from that. Therefore, I would approve of any of the three.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Kari Lake and Elise Stefanik are firebreathers who would continually expose themselves as, pardon the expression, shrews, and Americans hate shrews. Katie Britt is a national joke and doesn't have the gravitas to recover from that...

All positives for Trump & MAGA-land...

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

... Therefore, I would approve of any of the three.

Absolutely!!!

Definitely on board with Trump doing something stupid.

Again.

Just now, romad1 said:

Seen: Billboard in Grand Rapids from RVAT featuring Mike Pence “why i won’t endorse Trump”

I did a fist pump.  Great place for that. 

Saw the same board on the way to Milwaukee, right around Kenosha.

• Like 1

I’m not informed enough to say whether this puts FL in play for Biden but I will say it helps Biden bigly because now the depleted Republic party has to spend resources in what was considered a safe state.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, romad1 said:

Seen: Billboard in Grand Rapids from RVAT featuring Mike Pence “why i won’t endorse Trump”

I did a fist pump.  Great place for that. 

Instead of a normal democratic convention, The last night should be two hours hosted by Chris Christie where he brings up Pence, Pompeo, Kelly, Romney, Cheney, Kinzinger, Mattis, and others to explain why Trump 2.0 would not be anything like Trump 1.0 and why it has to be avoided, then invite Biden on stage to accept the democratic nomination.

41 minutes ago, oblong said:

I’m not informed enough to say whether this puts FL in play for Biden but I will say it helps Biden bigly because now the depleted Republic party has to spend resources in what was considered a safe state.  

Holy ****. This is going to be for all the marbles. I don't see a path to a GOP win without FLA. Campaign spending in FLA may break any and all records set in CA or anywhere else.

Poor stiffs, by Election Day, there probably won't be anyone left in the state who won't be ready to follow Howard Beale's advice to throw their TVs out the window.

Edited by gehringer_2

14 hours ago, oblong said:

My hope is there are some down ballot effects that rebalance the scales some in the legislature, which is currently 85-35 in the house and 28-12 in the senate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

My hope is there are some down ballot effects that rebalance the scales some in the legislature, which is currently 85-35 in the house and 28-12 in the senate.

I suspect that's why Biden's campaign is talking about investing some in Florida - less about winning the state, more about using it's surplus resources to help raise the tide for downballot campaigns.

I don't see why Florida is not in play. In 2020 with COVID the Dems couldn't run a strong ground game in Miami to get out the Hispanic voters. Republicans are also going after Social Security, Medicare and Obamacare which are all popular in Florida. Biden only lost Florida by 3% in 2020. It's more than just down ballot.

If Florida is in play, then Georgia and Arizona are definitely gone, North Carolina is probably gone, Texas and Maine-2 will be on the bubble, and even Alaska and Iowa will be interesting. If Trump ends up losing Ohio, it should be an electoral bloodbath.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If Florida is in play, then Georgia and Arizona are definitely gone, North Carolina is probably gone, Texas and Maine-2 will be on the bubble, and even Alaska and Iowa will be interesting. If Trump ends up losing Ohio, it should be an electoral bloodbath.

Florida isn't that red and Biden had already won Georgia and Arizona and North Carolina was within a point. Florida is no further to the right as Michigan is to the left. No one says how difficult it will be for Trump to win Michigan the way they do with Dems winning Florida. 

27 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If Trump ends up losing Ohio, it should be an electoral bloodbath.

A lot of unprecedented stuff going on. You have the close polls on one hand, then you have actual results in otherwise unlikely places like the abortion bill in Ohio going down in flames for the right wing. Maybe the single biggest issue for '24 is how much will voters segregate their opposition to abortion bans from their support of GOP candidates who propose and back them and appoint judges that uphold them. One would think one would drive the other, but never underestimate voter irrationality.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

A lot of unprecedented stuff going on. You have the close polls on one hand, then you have actual results in otherwise unlikely places like the abortion bill in Ohio going down in flames for the right wing. Maybe the single biggest issue for '24 is how much will voters segregate their opposition to abortion bans from their support of GOP candidates who propose and back them and appoint judges that uphold them. One would think one would drive the other, but never underestimate voter irrationality.

I don't think there will be too much of that segregation of thinking. If you're solidly pro-choice, you're not setting that aside to vote for MAGA. You are either anti-choice, or agnostic on the issue (e.g., pro-abortion only when one will make your own life easier).