2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

1 hour ago, pfife said:

Does the RNC govern though?  Maybe indirectly but I've always figured it was political operation and thus should be separate from governing, kinda hatch act sorta

It's probably a little more nuanced than maybe it needs to be, but I didn't say the country is governed by the RNC. I said they are an integral part of governing our nation, by which I mean, to the degree that actual elected Republican politicians rely on the RNC for support to get elected and even guidance to stay elected, and of course, now more than ever.

8 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Digital World is now down 8% on the day....

It'd be hilarious if the stock tanked now that Trump is attached to it.

The stock is overvalued based solely on Trump hype. It's been known he's a part of this deal since they first attached to Trump's "Truth" Social, and that was over a year ago, or more, I believe.

"Truth" Social had revenues of roughly $4 mill or so last year, and losses of over $100 mill+ (I didn't look at any actual financials so I could be checked on that...).

With no avenue for profit because of the toxicity of Trump's "Truth". Membership is declining faster than Twitter, errr, X.

It should be a penny stock.

Before Trump has a chance to actually sell any shares...

I predict it will be.

And Trump's "3 billion valuation" will quickly turn into $20 million or so... or worse.

All dependent on whether the stock is treated at an actual valuation, or a "meme" stock.

If it's above $1... 

Then I think it's just MAGA or MAGA-inspired playing around with the stock as a "meme" because it's attached to TFG.

There's no real value in the stock...

at all.

Short-sellers are going to have a field day.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

People are beginning to pay attention …

Biden believes that campaigns are not won at the front end but at the back. He didn't really get in gear in 2020 until half the people had written him off. Let hope the strategy continues to hold.

27 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Biden believes that campaigns are not won at the front end but at the back. He didn't really get in gear in 2020 until half the people had written him off. Let hope the strategy continues to hold.

Not sure I agree with this, at least to the extent that his operation is up and running a lot earlier than Obama in 2012 or other reelection efforts.

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Bush's silence is disappointing. As the only living Republican outside of Trump, it would be nice for him to show solidarity with democracy. 

TBH, it probably wouldn't make any difference, but you'd think he'd feel the obligation to make the gesture just a matter of his own sense of felt moral imperative. In the end I still can't decide if it's Dubya's inner demons that have made him into the strange outcome he is, or if he is just actually dumb as a post.

14 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Bush's silence is disappointing. As the only living Republican outside of Trump, it would be nice for him to show solidarity with democracy. 

It's disappointing only if you actually expected something.

George Bush Jr. was just another in a long line of recent Republicans with no real interest in governing or statesmanship. He is merely a bridge between the Gingrich Contract on America and Trump.

Edited by chasfh

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

TBH, it probably wouldn't make any difference, but you'd think he'd feel the obligation to make the gesture just a matter of his own sense of felt moral imperative. In the end I still can't decide if it's Dubya's inner demons that have made him into the strange outcome he is, or if he is just actually dumb as a post.

I am naive enough to think it would be effective. He can see what we all see. And you only need to move a small number of people off of Trump (not necessarily onto Biden) for it to be impactful. I don't think the chances are zero, but they are low he says anything.

25 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

I am naive enough to think it would be effective. He can see what we all see. And you only need to move a small number of people off of Trump (not necessarily onto Biden) for it to be impactful. I don't think the chances are zero, but they are low he says anything.

I think if little Bush said anything, he'd be dismissed as just another RINO. Nobody who loves Trump thinks George is anyone special, and the gesture wouldn't mean anything unless it would peel off people from Trump. The moral suasion is what's supposed to be the point of such a gesture. Furthermore, George is not even considered a pillar of whatever is left of the moderate Republican faction, since he has been almost literally nowhere to be seen since 2009.

Edited by chasfh

Just now, chasfh said:

I think if little Bush said anything, he'd be dismissed as just another RINO. Nobody who loves Trump thinks George is anyone special, and the gesture wouldn't mean anything unless it would peel off people from Trump. The moral suasion is what's supposed to be the point of such a gesture.

Meh, independents love that bipartisanship. It's not going to shake up the election but it could be won or lost on the edges. 

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think if little Bush said anything, he'd be dismissed as just another RINO. Nobody who loves Trump thinks George is anyone special, and the gesture wouldn't mean anything unless it would peel off people from Trump. The moral suasion is what's supposed to be the point of such a gesture.

the goal is not to talk to MAGA; there are a huge number of reachable republicans*; it is about getting just a million, or even half a million people over 8 states to not vote of Trump; that would be impactful

*my next door neighbors are hard core GOP people who hate Trump, but think they have to vote for him because Biden is close to goal destroying the country. Bush would give them permission to not vote for Trump (they would never vote Biden)

Edited by RatkoVarda
  • Thanks 1