Lions at Bears - 10/3/21 - 1:00pm - FOX

MotownWebGuy

4 hours ago, buddha said:

... mcneill and onzuwurike have been disappointments to me.  no pressure from them at all.

Hard to get pressure if the QB can get the ball out of his hands in 2.3 seconds with our weak secondary and LB's. Also, rushing 3 doesn't really help there. They should be rushing 4 every pass attempt to at least hope they can get some pressure... Because they sure can't cover so what does it matter?

3 hours ago, djhutch said:

I was holding out hope Goff could hold down the fort until the rest of the team was built, but watching yesterday it looked to me like he gets a little deer in the headlights look in his eyes.  That can't be good.

Even as bad as he is... he can still hold down the fort.

The team is bad. They're going to be bad for awhile. They need to do a lot of team-building. On those basis', doesn't really matter if we're stuck with Goff. Just ride him until a replacement is found. When they spot their franchise QB, whether 2022 draft or 2023... Or FA or trade or whatever... pull the trigger. Until then... ride Goff until he's dead.

(just joking on that last comment...)

😉

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Hard to get pressure if the QB can get the ball out of his hands in 2.3 seconds with our weak secondary and LB's. Also, rushing 3 doesn't really help there. They should be rushing 4 every pass attempt to at least hope they can get some pressure... Because they sure can't cover so what does it matter?

fields was not getting the ball out in 2.3 seconds.  he was holding the ball for 4 seconds and still had no pressure.  

when the lions got any pressure on him he panicked.

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

fields was not getting the ball out in 2.3 seconds.  he was holding the ball for 4 seconds and still had no pressure.  

when the lions got any pressure on him he panicked.

Yeah I didn't have any numbers... I was just being hyperbolic.

But your point matches with mine... stop with the 3-man rush because they're getting zero pressure... at least getting some pressure on the QB may generate some mistakes, or even some sacks. They suck in coverage anyways, so what the hell are they doing dropping 8? Getting... nothing but completions and yards and TD's against. Rush 4, full stop. And live with the consequences.

46 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Yeah I didn't have any numbers... I was just being hyperbolic.

But your point matches with mine... stop with the 3-man rush because they're getting zero pressure... at least getting some pressure on the QB may generate some mistakes, or even some sacks. They suck in coverage anyways, so what the hell are they doing dropping 8? Getting... nothing but completions and yards and TD's against. Rush 4, full stop. And live with the consequences.

but they were rushing 4 and they got no pressure.

Not sure if it was mentioned or not but Romeo Okwara has been ruled out for the season with a torn achilles and Frank Ragnow is "going to be out for awhile"(Campbell quote) after suffering some sorta foot/toe injury. Now I'm just hoping they don't become the first team to finish 0-17.

10 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not sure if it was mentioned or not but Romeo Okwara has been ruled out for the season with a torn achilles and Frank Ragnow is "going to be out for awhile"(Campbell quote) after suffering some sorta foot/toe injury. Now I'm just hoping they don't become the first team to finish 0-17.

Game over, man.....game over.

Literally no point to watching this team for the balance of this season.

Trey Flowers is the cautionary tale of going by PFF grades instead of actual production. IIRC he was one of if not the highest fa rated pass rushers according to PFF despite his standard numbers looking subpar, their high grade carried over to his first year with us and despite him looking disappointing to the naked eye they still had him rated elite.

You can have all the pass rush win rates in the world that they put so much stock in but it doesnt mean a damn thing if you or in turn a teammate don't actually finish the play, particularly in this day and age where so many qbs work just as well if not better  when they are flushed out of the pocket.

Edited by RandyMarsh

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Trey Flowers is the cautionary tale of going by PFF grades instead of actual production. IIRC he was one of if not the highest fa rated pass rushers according to PFF despite his standard numbers looking subpar, their high grade carried over to his first year with us and despite him looking disappointing to the naked eye they still had him rated elite.

You can have all the pass rush win rates in the world that they put so much stock in but it doesnt mean a damn thing if you or in turn a teammate don't actually finish the play, particularly in this day and age where so many qbs work just as well if not better  when they are flushed out of the pocket.

Flowers would work so well if you had an elite pass rusher opposite him. He's still a good player but he's being paid to be an elite pass rusher. 

I remember when they signed Flowers and added Snacks and added Mike Daniels and you had Hand and Robinson who all had high PFF grades and that DLine looked like it was going to be dominant. The only problem is none of them were actual playmakers. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Flowers would work so well if you had an elite pass rusher opposite him. He's still a good player but he's being paid to be an elite pass rusher. 

I remember when they signed Flowers and added Snacks and added Mike Daniels and you had Hand and Robinson who all had high PFF grades and that DLine looked like it was going to be dominant. The only problem is none of them were actual playmakers. 

they were pretty good for those 5 or 6 games snacks played at the end of the year.  and then he fell off a cliff the next year, flowers got hurt, hand never played, and arob wasnt much.  so here we are.

all i want for christmas is a quick twitch athlete who can get the qb.  i actually think julian okwara might be pretty good at that if he could ever remember that he cant lose contain.

as to the pff grades, flowers is great at that stuff because he always does his job, but like you said, he's just not that super athlete that's going to get to the qb.

and now he never plays.