Lions at Bears - 10/3/21 - 1:00pm - FOX

MotownWebGuy

The Lions better win this one.  This is the first game where I think the Lions have a reasonably good chance of winning.  The defense appears to show some signs of life last week.  The Bears are a mess. A loss here would feel like a step backwards for this team to me.

I didn't expect a win in any of the first three games and of course while they didn't win, they played hard and at least looked like they at least kinda-sorta belonged in the NFL.  This week I feel like the Lions can and should win and I'll be sad with a loss.

(Of course, now that I've said this the Lions will get absolutely destroyed by Justin Fields, whom they passed on, and Sewell will get injured and be out for the rest of the season.)

4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If the Lions don't win here when will they get their first win?

Ohh... good question.  The following week is at Vikings, who are also 1-2 (same as Bears) but I feel like they are in better shape over all. I'd give them less of a chance to win in Minnesota than in Chicago.

Then we host the 2-1 Bengals who are think aren't that good, but still I don't see a win there.
Next is @Rams, loss.
Then Eagles... probably loss.
@Steelers... probably loss.
@Browns... probably loss.

Then we host the Bears for T-Day.  That's probably the next time I'd expect a win.
(Obviously this is all based on only 3 weeks of games and a lot can changes in the following weeks, so it's just a guess)

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

Ohh... good question.  The following week is at Vikings, who are also 1-2 (same as Bears) but I feel like they are in better shape over all. I'd give them less of a chance to win in Minnesota than in Chicago.

Then we host the 2-1 Bengals who are think aren't that good, but still I don't see a win there.
Next is @Rams, loss.
Then Eagles... probably loss.
@Steelers... probably loss.
@Browns... probably loss.

Then we host the Bears for T-Day.  That's probably the next time I'd expect a win.
(Obviously this is all based on only 3 weeks of games and a lot can changes in the following weeks, so it's just a guess)

the bengals are terrible.  lions can win that game.  they can beat the eagles and steelers too.  those teams arent very good either.

i'd give the lions a 50% chance against cincy, 20% rams, 50% eagles, 40% steelers, 20% browns.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buddha said:

the bengals are terrible.  lions can win that game.  they can beat the eagles and steelers too.  those teams arent very good either.

i'd give the lions a 50% chance against cincy, 20% rams, 50% eagles, 40% steelers, 20% browns.

I agree. The thing that gives me hope is cutting bait on players like Collins. The old Lions would've hung onto them until their contracts were up.

im worried about goff against the bears defensive line.  they ripped up the browns and the browns o line is pretty good (by reputation).  i'm not sure the offense will be able to do much.

you would also think the bears would learn their lesson and get fields out of the pocket and on the run.  that worrys me too, especially if the bears are at home.  if they can force fields to stay in the pocket and the bears call as bad a game as they did against the browns, the lions should win.

On 9/29/2021 at 12:11 PM, buddha said:

I dont think the Bengals are terrible.   I think they'd probably do well in the NFC North or NFC East, but they are in one of the toughest divisions in football.   Not saying they are great either and they have very little depth, so they need to stay injury-free, but not a terrible team anymore - they are moving up.   

The Steelers, on the other hand, Ben Rapelisberger, oh sorry, did I say that, Roethlisberger is done, he was done two years ago and the Steelers keep shooting themselves in the foot by not moving on from him.    Seems very odd for them too, they usually don't hang onto guys like that.   Mason Rudolph?  Maybe Dwayne Haskins can resurrect his career, but I haven't heard anything about him.   They have to be one of the teams looking for a QB in the '22 draft. 

If I was ranking teams, I would have the Jets, Jags and Giants lower than the Lions and that's it.   I think the Bears are better, but could certainly be beaten.  The Lions aren't going 0-17.   I think they'll win 3, maybe 4.    That's fine.  Trade any player that can net you draft picks in the first 3 rounds except Sewell.   Turn it into an expansion team.   Better than what Quintricia left us.   

8 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

If I was ranking teams, I would have the Jets, Jags and Giants lower than the Lions and that's it.   I think the Bears are better, but could certainly be beaten.  The Lions aren't going 0-17.   I think they'll win 3, maybe 4.    That's fine.  Trade any player that can net you draft picks in the first 3 rounds except Sewell.   Turn it into an expansion team.   Better than what Quintricia left us.   

Here's how the NFL ranked 'em:

27. Detroit Lions
28. Houston Texans
29. Chicago Bears
30. NY Giants
31. Jacksonville Jaguars
32. NY Jets

9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I dont think the Bengals are terrible.   I think they'd probably do well in the NFC North or NFC East, but they are in one of the toughest divisions in football.   Not saying they are great either and they have very little depth, so they need to stay injury-free, but not a terrible team anymore - they are moving up.   

The Steelers, on the other hand, Ben Rapelisberger, oh sorry, did I say that, Roethlisberger is done, he was done two years ago and the Steelers keep shooting themselves in the foot by not moving on from him.    Seems very odd for them too, they usually don't hang onto guys like that.   Mason Rudolph?  Maybe Dwayne Haskins can resurrect his career, but I haven't heard anything about him.   They have to be one of the teams looking for a QB in the '22 draft. 

the bengals got beat by the bears and looked terrible doing it.  they just needed a last second field goal to beat the jags....at home.

the bengals are not a good football team.  the lions - also not a good football team - can beat them.

13 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Valenti and Rico were talking about trading Decker and Hockenson? Would you trade both? I would trade Decker for sure. If Laramy Tunsil can net a 1st round pick in a trade as a LT then Decker should be able to as well. Hockenson is too young and too good to give up on now IMO.

trading hockenson is the stupid click baity thing valenti would say.  of course you dont trade hockenson.

decker you might trade for a laremy tunsil type haul.  especially if its to a desperate team that has delusions of contending but is really not that good (looking at you pittsburgh) or a desperate team and front office trying to save their jobs with multiple picks to burn (i see you new york giants...)

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

I guess I don't follow why it's not a good thing to be strong on both sides of the O-Line.

Decker is older than I thought. He's 28 now and will probably be on the wrong side of 30 when the Lions are competitive. Sewell is the future at LT and the Lions can probably get a decent return for Decker. 

52 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Decker is older than I thought. He's 28 now and will probably be on the wrong side of 30 when the Lions are competitive. Sewell is the future at LT and the Lions can probably get a decent return for Decker. 

Im on the trade Decker train but I would have to atleast get one 1st at a minimum. Not gonna take a Slay like return. If that's all thats out there then we "settle" with having two All Pro caliber tackles book end our line.

And for the record I think Sewell will be just fine at RT, I think his struggles in preseason had more to do with the time off than anything. Lance, Parsons and Chase all looked bad in the preseason too and they all took last year off as well. 

I think in a year Sewell will have picked up on the NFL, and will return to next year's training camp primed to steal LT from Decker. I think when Sewell is ready to take over LT, Decker has to move to Right. If it isn't this year, I'm betting it's next year...

If Decker is a RT, he'll be overpriced. I'm perfectly fine with two monster tackles. But I'm willing to trade Decker too... although only if we get an LT-in-high-demand price. More than 1 pick, more than just a 1st. If it happens this year.. I won't squawk, either.

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I guess I don't follow why it's not a good thing to be strong on both sides of the O-Line. It's not like the opposition is going to promise to always blitz or line up their best DE over our LT.

because sewell was terrible at rt in the preseason but has been really good at lt.