Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

So many issues to discuss: 

The official said that reports about the meeting lasting for about 20 minutes were roughly accurate, but noted that is a normal amount of time for meetings between US and Russian officials.

From peers who have spent time in Moscow:  don't bring a pet.

I won't post the link but one of the "funny" conservative twitter guys is posting something, something about $40B for Ukraine is saying this: 

Where are the liberals who were crying about ending world hunger when Elon bought Twitter? The House just voted to spend $40B funding a war on the other side of the world.

I don't know where to begin.  Except, destroy this punk. 

Just now, romad1 said:

I won't post the link but one of the "funny" conservative twitter guys is posting something, something about $40B for Ukraine is saying this: 

I don't know where to begin.  Except, destroy this punk. 

basically its the mating cry of the anti-anti-Putin shitbird. 

On 5/10/2022 at 1:01 PM, gehringer_2 said:

or maybe because many of us here actually have enough experience with older people who do and don't have dementia to know the difference between 'old' and 'demented'. 

What I do see in Biden is man who has crossed that line we will all hit where we start to become physically frailer faster, and that's not necessarily great news either.

Thank god he has got a very good team.

22 hours ago, ewsieg said:

A senator/rep looking like an idiot during their questioning of a witness?  Tubberville obviously is an exception as I've never heard any other senator/rep ask stupid questions before.

Generalized criticism of congress notwithstanding, Tuberville still deserves to be filleted for this.

On 5/10/2022 at 12:01 PM, gehringer_2 said:

or maybe because many of us here actually have enough experience with older people who do and don't have dementia to know the difference between 'old' and 'demented'. 

What I do see in Biden is man who has crossed that line we will all hit where we start to become physically frailer faster, and that's not necessarily great news either.

Right.

Given how many actual families actually have to deal with this problem in their lives, it's kind of offensive to see unproven claims of dementia be weaponized like this. And MAGA land will never understand that there are ways of criticizing this administration that don't go over the line like this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Arty is the King of Battle.  Using it and other support arms (close air support) with precision and skill separates the knuckle draggers who rely on mass from the professionals.   I understand that the US military proficiency in these areas fell off a lot since my day (1980s) when we prepared to go up against the vaunted Red Army and did eventually fight the less vaunted Iraqi Army.   We had the ability to identify using ground and airborne observers,  suppress air defenses, with ground fires (arty) and aviation (helicopters) and roll in with the close air support hammer in tight coordination.   Now, you'd add UAVs to the mix for observation and fires.   I'm told the timelines are longer due to lawyer intervention (political wars against terrorists and insurgents).  But, in the day of my youth we had it tight. 

25 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I wonder what John Lennon would have done.

Mind you.  I always thought Paul was the only true genius of this bunch.

I've always pretty much assumed this lyric was John's:

"But if you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao
You ain't going to make it with anyone anyhow"

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I've always pretty much assumed this lyric was John's:

"But if you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao
You ain't going to make it with anyone anyhow"

My opinion of these matters was solidified by the Get Back movie.  There is a moment where Paul and John are connecting and being creative together where it appears that Paul is pulling John out of his drug-addled fog but it ends and Paul goes back to annoying everyone by having more energy and ideas. 

• Like 1

I have just been watching some UAV videos, one UAV which on an excursion seemed to have taken out 10 Russian tanks, and, in a particularly chilling moment, put a missile down into the center of a group of people who had escaped from a disabled tank, and the blast wave got all of them.

Sitting here in North America, having watched the videos of those forlorn homesick kids that the Ukrainians captured early on, I feel very badly about the horrifying deaths of those tank crews that I am witnessing.  But if I am that UAV pilot whose home was destroyed and whose family members were killed, I want to roast as many of them as I can, I want to watch them stagger out and burn to death.

Which leads me to my question...is this the end of the era of the tank as an effective tactical weapon?  They seem to be defenseless against UAV attack.  You would have to be crazy to sign up for tank crew now, wouldn't you?

7 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I have just been watching some UAV videos, one UAV which on an excursion seemed to have taken out 10 Russian tanks, and, in a particularly chilling moment, put a missile down into the center of a group of people who had escaped from a disabled tank, and the blast wave got all of them.

Sitting here in North America, having watched the videos of those forlorn homesick kids that the Ukrainians captured early on, I feel very badly about the horrifying deaths of those tank crews that I am witnessing.  But if I am that UAV pilot whose home was destroyed and whose family members were killed, I want to roast as many of them as I can, I want to watch them stagger out and burn to death.

Which leads me to my question...is this the end of the era of the tank as an effective tactical weapon?  They seem to be defenseless against UAV attack.  You would have to be crazy to sign up for tank crew now, wouldn't you?

Definitely not the end of the tank.   The problem with the Russian tank forces are that they are not protected from UAVs by infantry with shoulder fired AA and vehicle AA weapons.   The issue is their forces are dumb and unbalanced in favor of tanks.