2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

Happy to have Boyd back. Now he can work with Fetter and I also think he will be starting. I remember Hinch saying Breiske's stuff would play well out of the pen and after trading much of the current bullpen arms away he will be needed. Boyd is a good fill in as we wait for Skull and Mize to return. We added him for less than what we saved on the arbitration guys we let go. Much better value. Solid move.

5 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Happy to have Boyd back. Now he can work with Fetter and I also think he will be starting. I remember Hinch saying Breiske's stuff would play well out of the pen and after trading much of the current bullpen arms away he will be needed. Boyd is a good fill in as we wait for Skull and Mize to return. We added him for less than what we saved on the arbitration guys we let go. Much better value. Solid move.

Flexor rehab apparently is pretty variable - might be no firm date for Skubal.

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Reminds me of the time the left-handed throwing guy on the softball team I was captaining who didn't know much about baseball whined about me not playing him at shortstop...

When I coached softball...I played a LH 3rd baseman because he was the only guy left who could actually field a ground ball...I figured I'd sacrifice a few IF singles to stop automatic 2b's

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I didn't mean them in any particular order, but I thought Brieske pitched pretty well in his last month of starts. Of course he may not stay healthy either.....

Did he? The topline numbers look OK, but he was still a bit ragged under the hood. Low strikeouts, low BABIP, high LD rate, more pull. I simply don’t see how he fit into Harris’s control the plate dictum.

23 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Did he? The topline numbers look OK, but he was still a bit ragged under the hood. Low strikeouts, low BABIP, high LD rate, more pull. I simply don’t see how he fit into Harris’s control the plate dictum.

I don't put too much emphasis in a rookie pitcher's K rate. As often as not young pitchers increase their K rates as they learn how to use their stuff better. Even JV didn't know how to K guys his 1st year. Brieske had good K rates coming up through the system. He's either already hit his limit at MLB or not, and that capability may or may not begin to express itself again with experience. For me, if rookie that comes up and manages to fight his way through MLB batting orders in his 1st season without getting hammered as soon as there is some tape out about him has shown something just to do that.  I think there is enough potential with Beau where the best strategy is let it play out and see where he gets.

Edited by gehringer_2

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't put too much emphasis in a rookie pitcher's K rate. As often as not young pitchers increase their K rates as they learn how to use their stuff better. Even JV didn't know how to K guys his 1st year. Brieske had good K rates coming up through the system. He's either already hit his limit at MLB or not, and that capability may or may not begin to express itself again with experience. For me, if rookie that comes up and manages to fight his way through MLB batting orders without getting hammered as soon as there is some tape out about him has shown something just to do that.  I think there is enough potential with Beau where the best strategy is let it play out and see where he gets.

I will say this: he does have slightly above average velocity and well-above average spin. Maybe that's what kept his head off the chopping block. maybe the new team coming in thinks they can do something with that.

19 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

yeah, the first player he brings in is a re-tread from some of the darkest recent days.

but this is twice now that he has targeted Boyd, so maybe he sees something?

It looks like an Avila move, but yeah we can only hope that he's smarter than Avila.  

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

He is ascending, not a finished product.

36 minutes ago, Longgone said:

He is ascending, not a finished product.

I can see that Brieske's not a finished product, although I don't see any ascending going on just yet. He's pretty much at the bottom and although there is certainly someplace he can go rather than up, up is the only place he can go and still hope to keep a job, at least in North America.

image.png.9bd356aa5edfb14309c437e94e050c57.png

23 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I can see that Brieske's not a finished product, although I don't see any ascending going on just yet. He's pretty much at the bottom and although there is certainly someplace he can go rather than up, up is the only place he can go and still hope to keep a job, at least in North America.

image.png.9bd356aa5edfb14309c437e94e050c57.png

If you are expecting a young pitcher to show positive results stats, while harnessing his stuff and learning his craft, you are expecting a lot. 

Obviously, Harris was one of a committee in San Francisco, but after signing the following on the rebound:

Kevin Gausman

Tyler Alexander

Drew Smyly (check out his 2020)

Trevor Cahill (check out his 2020)

Anthony DeSclafani

Alex Wood

Alex Cobb

Jakob Junis

He's earned the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 1