2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

If they believed he was damaged goods then why did they try to negotiate a 2023 contract with him?

You don't negotiate with damaged goods. You just walk away.

Chas suggested that his market price (and what he signed for with Washington) was based on a perception that he was damaged goods or more of a project player.

It's clear that the Tigers viewed him similarly.

50 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

It is not safe to assume Candelario would have signed here for $5 million...it remains to be seen if they can sign a 3B for  the $7 million he would have cost us and what his or her (pronouns!!) production will be

This.

Likely the only way he was staying was by giving him the $7 million, regardless of whether he was worth that or not. And the decision to negotiate, while likely the right one in the business sense (ie. Candy wasn't worth $7 mil even in this market) meant the Tigers had to be comfortable walking away from the table.

They made a decision, one that I can't really fault them for. And they have to see how it shakes out at this point.

35 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Chas suggested that his market price (and what he signed for with Washington) was based on a perception that he was damaged goods or more of a project player.

I think this is close. I believe the truth is even more direct: they simply didn’t want him around anymore.

1 hour ago, Tigermojo said:

deGrom to the Rangers for 5 years $185 million plus option year for a possible $222 million 6 year total!

Last three years 68/92/64 innings pitched.

I have to throw a minor penalty flag on that.   The 68 innings pitched was a pace of 180 innings in a normal season, but yes, the lack of innings the last two years, plus he'll be 35 in June, makes this a really really stupid signing.  

6 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I have to throw a minor penalty flag on that.   The 68 innings pitched was a pace of 180 innings in a normal season, but yes, the lack of innings the last two years, plus he'll be 35 in June, makes this a really really stupid signing.  

Yes, I guess he was injured in 2001 after a dominant first half of the season.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

yeah, they are going to regret it.  

11 hours ago, chasfh said:

Depends on how you define mediocre. How would you define it?

Mediocre is 1.1 WAR per year as calculated by baseball-reference. If one has an entire active roster of 1.1 WAR on average over an active roster, if one plugs that in the last iteration of Baseball- Reference's WAR formula, an average WAR of that level on an active team roster should produce an 81 win team.

Over 7 seasons, Jemier, has a 7.5 WAR. In 2018 he had a 1.8 WAR, then in 2019 he collapsed to .2 WAR. I would throw out 2020 in any player evaluation due to season length. In  2021 Jemier posts a 4.1 WAR, then in 2022 he posts .8 WAR. His WAR is one good year followed by one poor year. Of his total career, 54 % of that value comes from his 2021 season. There is a great deal of risk to Jemier's production as shown by his high season to season variabilty, with one year being very strong, and the following year being poor.

I have waffled on Jemier over the last 3 months because the eye test shows that there have been moments of great promise. When I look at his total output, coupled with his wide variabilty in production from year to year, I am not sad to see him gone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Maybe it's me but, damaged goods (could be just semantics...) means that you're getting pretty much zero value in the upcoming year...

I'm interested in someone recovering value (after an injury year or an underperforming year... like Candy or Boyd in 2023); not interested in damaged goods (Boyd in 2022...).

At least based on my definition, Candy is not damaged goods, he's a recovery play after a subpar year.

Per Chas's first point - if the Tiger's believe he can get back to a 1-2 WAR player than her is worth tendering at $7 mill - I preferred to tender him.

Per Chas's other points that there may be other issues that made them more willing to offer less than the tender and were open to losing him if he didn't accept... I think this is where you may be calling it a "damaged goods" situation...

I don't believe the Tigers viewed Candy as "damaged goods" in either definition...

I'm under the belief that the Tigers did not want to take the "risk" or put a premium cost (the Arb number) on the recovery play, the risk being that he has another bad year or cannot get back to higher than a 0.5-ish WAR... so if he wouldn't agree to $5 mill (just guessing) with the Tigers they were non-tendering.

It basically gets us to the exact same spot...

I just think there are different reasons for ending up at that spot than what you and Chas are surmising...

21 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Maybe it's me but, damaged goods (could be just semantics...) means that you're getting pretty much zero value in the upcoming year...

I'm interested in someone recovering value (after an injury year or an underperforming year... like Candy or Boyd in 2023); not interested in damaged goods (Boyd in 2022...).

At least based on my definition, Candy is not damaged goods, he's a recovery play after a subpar year.

Per Chas's first point - if the Tiger's believe he can get back to a 1-2 WAR player than her is worth tendering at $7 mill - I preferred to tender him.

Per Chas's other points that there may be other issues that made them more willing to offer less than the tender and were open to losing him if he didn't accept... I think this is where you may be calling it a "damaged goods" situation...

I don't believe the Tigers viewed Candy as "damaged goods" in either definition...

I'm under the belief that the Tigers did not want to take the "risk" or put a premium cost (the Arb number) on the recovery play, the risk being that he has another bad year or cannot get back to higher than a 0.5-ish WAR... so if he wouldn't agree to $5 mill (just guessing) with the Tigers they were non-tendering.

It basically gets us to the exact same spot...

I just think there are different reasons for ending up at that spot than what you and Chas are surmising...

Let’s not forget that Harris has stated he’d like to find a LH bat for the infield.  With Tork, Schoop and Baez, 3B is where you solve that.  

Harris has a budget, maybe somewhere around $170 million, and he doesn't think Candelario is a $7 million player and neither does the rest of the league.  Maybe he uses "wins", maybe he doesn't, who cares?

I am not in the camp that says "I am going to be ticked off if he doesn't replace Candelario's production at third base" because it isn't that simple.  We will not easily identify what he did with the money he didn't give Candelario, it's not just about third base it's about the whole roster.  Maybe it means a 25th man who is worth 2 million instead of 700 thousand.  Maybe it means an extra reliever with a decent track record. 

I believe in what others have said here.  If Candelario is a $4 million player, let's offer him $4 million.  Let's not put a $7 million hole in our budget just because the alternative is not immediately obvious.

I like this guy, he's smart.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HeyAbbott said:

Mediocre is 1.1 WAR per year as calculated by baseball-reference. If one has an entire active roster of 1.1 WAR on average over an active roster, if one plugs that in the last iteration of Baseball- Reference's WAR formula, an average WAR of that level on an active team roster should produce an 81 win team.

Over 7 seasons, Jemier, has a 7.5 WAR. In 2018 he had a 1.8 WAR, then in 2019 he collapsed to .2 WAR. I would throw out 2020 in any player evaluation due to season length. In  2021 Jemier posts a 4.1 WAR, then in 2022 he posts .8 WAR. His WAR is one good year followed by one poor year. Of his total career, 54 % of that value comes from his 2021 season. There is a great deal of risk to Jemier's production as shown by his high season to season variabilty, with one year being very strong, and the following year being poor.

I have waffled on Jemier over the last 3 months because the eye test shows that there have been moments of great promise. When I look at his total output, coupled with his wide variabilty in production from year to year, I am not sad to see him gone.

If mediocre is 1.1 WAR, and then Jeimer is on balance better than mediocre, not sub-mediocre, because his recent three-year average is worth better than 1.1 WAR over year, plus he is projected to be better than 1.1 WAR by all available measures so far, and that makes sense to me.

All that aside, I would agree that 2022 was sub-mediocre by any definition.

7 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

Candy looked lost at the plate and in the field. He wasn't his old self and we'll probably never find out if it was mental or physical. I would have been fine gambling $7 million for one more year but I expect Harris to find an established player to replace him.

Same here. I acknowledge that there was no chance Jeimer was coming back to the Tigers. There simply was too much noise surrounding him. But I also expect Harris to find a player of at least equal projected value to replace him as well. We already had holes in LF, 1B, C and SP. There didn’t seem to be any need to create yet another hole at 3B. But hey, OK, let’s see how they plug it up. If they get someone similar or better, cool, I’m down.