2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Stavenhagen from the top-rope with a real hot-take on his pod: trading ERod. With the idea being that he's likely to opt-out given how overheated the starting pitching market appears to be at the moment.

Despite the need for pitching, it actually makes some sense as a means to jump start the upgrade at their various needs on the position player side. Although it's one area where all the pitching injuries are an issue and it would likely require the need for another starter to be signed.

heard that, too.  with the early appearance that starting pitching is at a premium, and teams are willing to pay, ERod might be more attractive in a trade than I originally thought.  He's on a very team friendly contract and is still a good pitcher.  His personal situation and opt-out might scare some teams off, and ultimately, we still need guys to pitch next year.  But, if a team were to make an attractive offer, it might be tempting.  I would not move him in a distressed way--if the interest isn't strong, keep him because we'll need his innings.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

When the Wings won in 1997 there was a big fuss about the 42 year wait.....

that's not long for the Tigers unfortunately.

There are so many major league teams among the big four sports now that 100 years from today, there will be at least a dozen franchises scattered among them who will not have won a championship for over 100 years.

And the Lions will be one of them.

27 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

heard that, too.  with the early appearance that starting pitching is at a premium, and teams are willing to pay, ERod might be more attractive in a trade than I originally thought.  He's on a very team friendly contract and is still a good pitcher.  His personal situation and opt-out might scare some teams off, and ultimately, we still need guys to pitch next year.  But, if a team were to make an attractive offer, it might be tempting.  I would not move him in a distressed way--if the interest isn't strong, keep him because we'll need his innings.

I think the thing that might scare off suitors is the idea that Eduardo will not exercise his out clause and they will be stuck with him for four seasons. He's been a better-than-average pitcher at times, but I don't think he's good enough for someone to gladly carry him for the next four years at $60+ million, especially as he enters his 30s as an increasingly soft-tossing righty.

I think the best we can hope for is he chews up a lot of innings this year, has a renaissance season, and then exercises his out.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think the thing that might scare off suitors is the idea that Eduardo will not exercise his out clause and they will be stuck with him for four seasons. He's been a better-than-average pitcher at times, but I don't think he's good enough for someone to gladly carry him for the next four years at $60+ million, especially as he enters his 30s as an increasingly soft-tossing righty.

I think the best we can hope for is he chews up a lot of innings this year, has a renaissance season, and then exercises his out.

we just paid $10M for Boyd, who has pitched 13 innings over the last two seasons.  deGrom received $185M in spite of dealing with significant arm injuries over the last couple of seasons. 

It's a pitchers market--think of all of the injuries that teams have dealt with (it's not just the Tigers).  the fact that Erod has stayed healthy and effective, and on a team-friendly contract, will likely make him more attractive than we probably originally thought.

I'd prefer to keep him--we still need competent pitchers to provide innings.  However, if teams get goofy, we should be willing to take advantage of that.

6 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

we just paid $10M for Boyd, who has pitched 13 innings over the last two seasons.  deGrom received $185M in spite of dealing with significant arm injuries over the last couple of seasons. 

It's a pitchers market--think of all of the injuries that teams have dealt with (it's not just the Tigers).  the fact that Erod has stayed healthy and effective, and on a team-friendly contract, will likely make him more attractive than we probably originally thought.

I'd prefer to keep him--we still need competent pitchers to provide innings.  However, if teams get goofy, we should be willing to take advantage of that.

That's a good point about the money, but I think the impediment is more the years, unless the team who trades for him would be willing going in to consider the possibility of cutting bait on him, like, midway through year 3 after a season and a half of well-below-average pitching and give him his remaining $40+MM as his parting gift. I believe that's different from Boyd, who got signed for only one year, and deGrom, who's never pitched like anything but one of the greatest pitchers in history.

I'm pretty sure he'll be suiting up for us on March 30, provided we don't sign an ace over him (and also that he doesn't go dark on everyone again).

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That's a good point about the money, but I think the impediment is more the years, unless the team who trades for him would be willing going in to consider the possibility of cutting bait on him, like, midway through year 3 after a season and a half of well-below-average pitching and give him his remaining $40+MM as his parting gift. I believe that's different from Boyd, who got signed for only one year, and deGrom, who's never pitched like anything but one of the greatest pitchers in history.

In this market where the Zach Eflins of the world get $14 million per year, ERod opting into the rest of his deal wouldn't be the worst thing for most possible trade suiters IMO. It certainly wouldn't be for the Tigers lol.

Either way, it might be a better button to push at the trade deadline if he's pitching well to maximize leverage. 

31 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

JV to Mets 2/86.8

Just beats Max's 43.3 AAV.

Just a coincidence, I'm sure ... 😁

I wonder whether stories will come out of the New York media about how they despise each other which, if true, would never have been reported in Detroit media.

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Just a coincidence, I'm sure ... 😁

I wonder whether stories will come out of the New York media about how they despise each other which, if true, would never have been reported in Detroit media.

I'm already seeing that in Detroit twitter.  Must be a safe assumption that neither will be back here.  

49 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Harris must love taking over a team devoid of any tradeable talent at the same time that the free agent market has pivoted back to a player's market.  Especially after Avila signed the absolute worst option at SS last year.

But hey, they made an offer to Carlos Correa …

🦆🦆🦆

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

I think this is the most likely scenario.

I don't see a trade happening.

And... I approve this message.