2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

45 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Especially with the supposed change in the ball.

As an aside, have you seen this story....3 different balls were supposedly used last season

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/study-shows-mlb-used-three-different-baseballs-in-2022-after-admitting-two-were-used-last-season

At the risk of being a conspiracy guy, is there any chance that the Tigers and/or Comerica Park were subjected to a deader ball more often?  It would make some sense out of the entire lineup underperforming all at the same time.

I have no problem with Copa's dimensions except CF, I wish they would bring in the wall even 10ft. To me it's just frustrating watching guys hit it on the screws 400+ft only for it to land in a CF's glove. Atleast when they hit it into Death Valley out in the RCF gap it usually ends up dropping and they atleast get a double or triple out of it but when it's to center by the shrubs more often than not it gets chased down. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I have no problem with Copa's dimensions except CF, I wish they would bring in the wall even 10ft. To me it's just frustrating watching guys hit it on the screws 400+ft only for it to land in a CF's glove. Atleast when they hit it into Death Valley out in the RCF gap it usually ends up dropping and they atleast get a double or triple out of it but when it's to center by the shrubs more often than not it gets chased down. 

That doesn't bother me. I think 420 to dead center is fine. If they wanted to replace the CF 'corners' - which are probably about 430, with a  curving wall at a constant 420 it wouldn't bother me, but I don't see anything intrinsically wrong with a park that says CF is the pitcher's place. To hit a HR you either have to get around on him enough to pull or else inside-out it at least somewhat --- or get lucky enough to get a ball on the live side of the distribution....

Edited by gehringer_2

7 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I love his answer about building a team for the ballpark.  A smart team should be able to take advantage of an asymmetric park.  I don't get the stuff about the park not being "fair" to hitters.  It's not a terrible park for hitters,  It's below average home run park, but it's pretty close to neutral for run scoring.  The obsession with the long ball is hurting the game.    

Anyone can easily look up the stats.  When the Tigers have good offensive players, they have a good offensive team.  When they have bad offensive players, they have a bad offensive team.  This current offense sucks in any ballpark.

7 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

That was what I was thinking.  I would have to think that less time between pitches would force them to get away from max effort on every pitch.  Either that or throw even fewer innings.

I would hope if anything changes it would be the former and not the latter.

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

This is purely out-of-left-field speculation, but it also makes me wonder if working faster if going to sort of naturally push them away from max-effort-on-every-pitch. It would be ironic if after all the decades of calling for a pitch clock, another benefit of finally having one turns out to be that it's good for pitchers' health. 

Doubtful

16 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

It seems in line with what you and others have been saying. I am curious how it plays out but I hope they make quicker evaluations on player's than the last management team did. We can't afford to waste so much time on players like the Castros, Lugo's, Goodrums , Stewarts, etc snd let good young players like Parades etc get away. Try them when ready in a systematic planned way over a reasonable amount of time and then keep or move on. So guys like Clemens, Lipcous, Perez , Badoo, Rogers, Madris etc should be up next in the "hopper' and if they look and play bad then move on quickly. 

It wasn't a question of poor evaluations, those players played because there weren't better players to push them out.

9 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Another thing which I think is going to be an even bigger deal than banning the shift is the pitch clock.  Having less time to rest between pitches will likely hurt pitchers significantly.

If nothing else changes, we could see another 100 runs and maybe 20 more batting average points per team in additional offense next year. We may also see strikeouts rise slightly as more all-or-nothing batters roam the Earth in the quest for more launch angle and more home runs.

If they liven the ball back to 2019 levels as well, then Katie, bar the door.

• Thanks 1

Here..............you got Matt Boyd,  Be happy with that.    Kody Clemens is your third baseman.   Ryan Kreidler is your utility guy, even though he's not ready and your outfield is going to be Riley Greene and the 3 or 4 other people who survive Spring Training.    Now take this and shut up, because we ain't spending on the payroll this year.    Oh, and we extended Miggy two more years because there is no other reason for anyone to come watch the games.   

15 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Here..............you got Matt Boyd,  Be happy with that.    

I would say that, sure, it's entirely possible that not much else happens the rest of this offseason. Perhaps even probable, I don't know.

But outside of a handful of teams, there really hasn't been a ton of activity for most teams at this point so I'm not sure it's accurate to suggest that they aren't trying to do things or that they are clearly done trying to improve at this point. The market is just kinda slow and will probably be that way until some of the bigger pieces come off the board.

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Here..............you got Matt Boyd,  Be happy with that.    Kody Clemens is your third baseman.   Ryan Kreidler is your utility guy, even though he's not ready and your outfield is going to be Riley Greene and the 3 or 4 other people who survive Spring Training.    Now take this and shut up, because we ain't spending on the payroll this year.    Oh, and we extended Miggy two more years because there is no other reason for anyone to come watch the games.   

A bit of an overreaction, but, yes, this team will not get fixed this sole offseason.  I’m not going to worry until we get to spring training and no other moves have been made. I doubt that happens.

We’ll pick from the second tier of free agents and hopefully make a trade or two.  Any improvement, though, will come mostly from our own player development.  Fingers crossed.

11 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I love his answer about building a team for the ballpark.  A smart team should be able to take advantage of an asymmetric park.  I don't get the stuff about the park not being "fair" to hitters.  It's not a terrible park for hitters,  It's below average home run park, but it's pretty close to neutral for run scoring.  The obsession with the long ball is hurting the game.    

110 homers isn't enough.

30 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

A bit of an overreaction, but, yes, this team will not get fixed this sole offseason.  I’m not going to worry until we get to spring training and no other moves have been made. I doubt that happens.

We’ll pick from the second tier of free agents and hopefully make a trade or two.  Any improvement, though, will come mostly from our own player development.  Fingers crossed.

I know, and I understand.   Two things hamstring Harris   #1 - Not knowing the future of our young pitchers and how they'll respond to surgery and treatment and it gums everything up for now.     #2 - $40 million coming off the books after this season with Miggy & Schoop and possibly more than $60 million depending on what Baez does (I guess we hope he has a great year so he'll leave?).       But they have to bring in SOMEONE this offseason.   We have no idea if Turnbull will be ready to pitch or if he'll need time to adjust.  We have 4 lefties in our rotation right now with E-Rod, Alexander, Wentz and Boyd and 3 of them are unproven and the other one disappeared for a month last year.  Manning?  Brieske?  Who knows if they bounce back.  It's at the point now where I expect him to get TJ surgery, might as well do it now.   So now we need to talk about Flores, Kirby, Bergner, Olson, Rony and Madden.   How many of those guys will we burn through this season? 

But that lineup is puke.   I'm not saying Harold Castro will be missed, but he was the second-best hitter on this team last year (which is frightening).   Sign a couple band aid guys at least.   Justin Turner at third - I think that would be alright, he 's not looking for long-term at 38, he gets on base. .   An outfielder, a bona fide starting major league outfielder, because the idea of having Baddoo and Carpenter in the lineup everyday is not appealing and until I see him actually play again in an actual game situation, I don't have faith that Meadows will play again.   I knew we weren't going after the big guys and some of these long term deals are going to hurt these teams sooner rather than later, but can we at least get a rumor?   Something?   I look at our breaking news and it's Rick Porcello retires and we signed Matt Boyd.      I know Jurckson Profar gets linked to the Tigers, but isn't he the low average, low OBP guy we just got rid of with Reyes and the Castros?  Is he any different than they are?   What's the point of bringing him here? 

The deeper this non-involvement goes and hearing quotes about playing youngsters makes me believe that no, there will be no increases in payroll and welcome to the purgatory of the Pittsburgh Pirates and Cincinnati Reds.  This is our future?    If there is no apparent increase in payroll coming then what the hell lured Scott Harris here?   

Harris won't give a definitive answer about what he wants for supper. I doubt we'll be getting many rumors.

"I'd like tonight's supper to be better than last night's supper. We should be constantly trying to improve and take it one meal at a time. This is an organization where you can elevate your supper to the next level."

"So not chicken a-hole!"

• Haha 1

In the late 70's everyone and their cousin had a copy of Fleetwood Mac's "Rumors".  as well we should have...Stevie Nicks was FINE.

On the topic of Ms Nicks...Tom Petty's "Don't Come around Here No More" was co-written by Dave Stewart from the Eurythmics.  He hooked up with Stevie Nicks and she told him...essentially... "don't come around here no more" the next morning.  Not sure I would have shared that story.  Maybe lie and say "she said I could come back for more anytime"...

God this hot stove league is boring

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Put Miggy at 3rd base. Last time he played there, he won the Triple Crown and the Tigers played in a World Series. Yeah, you're welcome...🤣🤣🤣