2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

45 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Sounds like he's currently on the fence...

I love his answer about building a team for the ballpark.  A smart team should be able to take advantage of an asymmetric park.  I don't get the stuff about the park not being "fair" to hitters.  It's not a terrible park for hitters,  It's below average home run park, but it's pretty close to neutral for run scoring.  The obsession with the long ball is hurting the game.    

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I love his answer about building a team for the ballpark.  A smart team should be able to take advantage of an asymmetric park.  I don't get the stuff about the park not being "fair" to hitters.  It's not a terrible park for hitters,  It's below average home run park, but it's pretty close to neutral for run scoring.  The obsession with the long ball is hurting the game.    

and the thing is, with the shift banned,  LHH will be free to put even more emphasis on pulling the ball, and the park is plenty HR friendly to LHH pull hitters.

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Especially with the supposed change in the ball.

As an aside, have you seen this story....3 different balls were supposedly used last season

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/study-shows-mlb-used-three-different-baseballs-in-2022-after-admitting-two-were-used-last-season

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

and the thing is, with the shift banned,  LHH will be free to put even more emphasis on pulling the ball, and the park is plenty HR friendly to LHH pull hitters.

Another thing which I think is going to be an even bigger deal than banning the shift is the pitch clock.  Having less time to rest between pitches will likely hurt pitchers significantly.

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

Another thing which I think is going to be an even bigger deal than banning the shift is the pitch clock.  Having less time to rest between pitches will likely hurt pitchers significantly.

This is purely out-of-left-field speculation, but it also makes me wonder if working faster if going to sort of naturally push them away from max-effort-on-every-pitch. It would be ironic if after all the decades of calling for a pitch clock, another benefit of finally having one turns out to be that it's good for pitchers' health. 

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

This is purely out-of-left-field speculation, but it also makes me wonder if working faster if going to sort of naturally push them away from max-effort-on-every-pitch. It would be ironic if after all the decades of calling for a pitch clock, another benefit of finally having one turns out to be that it's good for pitchers' health. 

That was what I was thinking.  I would have to think that less time between pitches would force them to get away from max effort on every pitch.  Either that or throw even fewer innings.