2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

18 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Also, when have you ever seen the Tigers, or any other mlb team, have too many of their starters pan out? You should only hope that happens! 

That would be great, lol.

All I am saying, is I'd just rather not give them their shots in reverse order of talent/deservidness.

Ok I will just leave it at that...we are definitely chasing our own tails and I don't want to turn this into a thing. 

I'm now excited to see the great Mason Englert pitching this April...future main cog in the rotation for the World Series champion Tigers.

Edited by StatikIEV
Spelling

There are really three options on a rule 5: Stick, get offered back, work out a trade. If he's still blocked in Tx they can also work out a trade. I don't recall if the Tigers have worked deals on R5s in the past, but you can bring a rule 5 guy - get a look at him and then decide what you might offer his old team if you decide you actually like him - all with the cost of the preview capped at $50K. 

Edited by gehringer_2

16 minutes ago, StatikIEV said:

So you would trade Ty Madden for 5 Mason Englerts?  15% better peripherals is the difference between an all-star and lineup filler.

15% better peripherals? Englert had a higher strikeout rate, lower bb  and hit rate, lower whip, better swinging strike rate...

Madden is a good prospect, but Englert is in the neighborhood. You want all those you can get. You need to access talent from every source possible.

Edited by Longgone

11 minutes ago, Longgone said:

15% better peripherals? Englert had a higher strikeout rate, lower bb  and hit rate, lower whip, better swinging strike rate...

Madden is a good prospect, but Englert is in the neighborhood. You want all those you can get.

You didn't answer the question.  You are trading Madden for 5 Englerts?  My statement was Madden is/was 5x better. 

"Fortunately" we have them both now, and your horse is front of the line to MLB...and everything in baseball is measurable.  WAR isn't perfect here, but an easy comp...I will go on record saying Madden logs 5x the WAR of Englert in his career.

Or better yet, let's tell the league we are looking to move Englert and Madden...$10 says the haul for Madden is at least 5x better.

Edited by StatikIEV

1 minute ago, StatikIEV said:

You didn't answer the question.  You are trading Madden for 5 Englerts?  My statement was Madden is/was 5x better. 

"Fortunately" we have them both now, and your horse is front of the line to MLB...and everything in baseball is measurable.  WAR isn't perfect here, but an easy comp...I will go on record saying Madden logs 5x the WAR of Englert in his career.

Usually kind of impossible to find a Madden in the Rule V draft...

1 minute ago, StatikIEV said:

How are you trading Madden for five Englerts? Makes no sense, and no, Madden isnt "five times" better than Englert. I'd rather have Madden, but they're not that far apart. I'd much rather have both.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Malloy is probably now the best (only?) RH batting OF across 4 levels Det-Tol-Erie-WMI.

Braves fans do not appear to be too happy with deal which is a good sign

At the surface it looks like a good trade for the Tigers, it also gives me hope considering it is the Braves and they are stacked everywhere and are in win now mode so they maybe willing to "lose" a trade to get a guy like Jimenez who can help them win this year.  

I also like how it sounds like this was a specific player the Tigers targeted instead of a team calling about one of our players and offering up a list of players to choose from.  To me it sounds like Harris and Co. instigated the move and probably asked the Braves who or what would it take to get him and they settled on Jimenez. 

14 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I also like how it sounds like this was a specific player the Tigers targeted instead of a team calling about one of our players and offering up a list of players to choose from.  To me it sounds like Harris and Co. instigated the move and probably asked the Braves who or what would it take to get him and they settled on Jimenez. 

That was my thought too, Harris targeted him, and they settled on Jimenez plus cash, and the Tigers get some junk too.  Harris probably has a list of OBP/power guys that might be pried away from their current orgs.

17 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The elephant in the room though is that he not only spells Justin with a y but also has a hyphenated first name. Usually I'd pass on somebody like that but hopefully his game will overcome that. 

True but I think it will be a slow process to evolve away from an organization that would draft a guy named "Jace".

This is what I found from a Braves Prospect writer that was posted a couple days ago in regards to his 2023 outlook.

2023 Outlook

After finishing the season by playing his final eight games in Gwinnett and having a strong showing in his AFL stint, it is expected that JHM will open the 2023 season back in Triple-A. He’ll go there to continue to work on his defense in hopes that it improves enough to secure an adequate future defensive home for him. It wouldn’t be out of the question to see the Braves bring him up at some point in 2023, so long as he continues to rake at Gwinnett, as his knack for getting on base at a high rate is a skill that projects to carry over into the big leagues. Honestly the bat may even be ready now, though without elite power it does make it tougher to deal with the defensive concerns at the big league level.

Sounds like the bat would be ready to play for us right now but if the Tigers have a specific defensive spot in mind for him(3B?) he probably needs to spend time in Toledo and play at that spot everyday for a bit before being called up.

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Wow, just the other day some speculated that Bogaerts may fetch 200 and instead he almost fetched 300! I always loved him as a player and its hard for me to believe that he is "only" 30 considering I remember him killing us back in our glory days. 

What does that say about tatis?

20 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

This is what I found from a Braves Prospect writer that was posted a couple days ago in regards to his 2023 outlook.

2023 Outlook

After finishing the season by playing his final eight games in Gwinnett and having a strong showing in his AFL stint, it is expected that JHM will open the 2023 season back in Triple-A. He’ll go there to continue to work on his defense in hopes that it improves enough to secure an adequate future defensive home for him. It wouldn’t be out of the question to see the Braves bring him up at some point in 2023, so long as he continues to rake at Gwinnett, as his knack for getting on base at a high rate is a skill that projects to carry over into the big leagues. Honestly the bat may even be ready now, though without elite power it does make it tougher to deal with the defensive concerns at the big league level.

Sounds like the bat would be ready to play for us right now but if the Tigers have a specific defensive spot in mind for him(3B?) he probably needs to spend time in Toledo and play at that spot everyday for a bit before being called up.

BTW Pipeline slides him into number 7 in our system and Mason Englert at 26. 

7 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Wow, just the other day some speculated that Bogaerts may fetch 200 and instead he almost fetched 300! I always loved him as a player and its hard for me to believe that he is "only" 30 considering I remember him killing us back in our glory days. 

For a guy that the Red Sox wanted to bring back so badly, they fell way short when the dust settled....

Did a little more digging about Justyn and came across this quote from Law during a write up on the AFL a month ago. In the comments of the article somebody also asked if he viewed him as an everyday player and he said yes.

Malloy started in High A this year at age 22 and ended up in Triple A for the last week-plus of the season. Like the other older hitters I mentioned above, Malloy showed excellent plate discipline at all levels, with 97 walks and 138 strikeouts in 133 games this year. He’s the best hitter of this cluster, though, showing better off-speed recognition and ridiculous strength, driving a slider from a right-hander (so he didn’t have the platoon advantage) to right-center for a hard-hit double and turning on average velocity whenever he saw it. I didn’t get him against plus velocity, but didn’t see any issues with his bat speed. I’m surprised he only hit 16 homers this year because everything I saw him hit was loud.

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif