2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Did a little more digging about Justyn and came across this quote from Law during a write up on the AFL a month ago. In the comments of the article somebody also asked if he viewed him as an everyday player and he said yes.

Malloy started in High A this year at age 22 and ended up in Triple A for the last week-plus of the season. Like the other older hitters I mentioned above, Malloy showed excellent plate discipline at all levels, with 97 walks and 138 strikeouts in 133 games this year. He’s the best hitter of this cluster, though, showing better off-speed recognition and ridiculous strength, driving a slider from a right-hander (so he didn’t have the platoon advantage) to right-center for a hard-hit double and turning on average velocity whenever he saw it. I didn’t get him against plus velocity, but didn’t see any issues with his bat speed. I’m surprised he only hit 16 homers this year because everything I saw him hit was loud.

s.”

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

He also had complimentary things to say in his writeup about the trade last night. 

Former Tiger radio announcer Bob Rathbun had a seizure live on the air before an Atlanta Hawks game.   Turned out to be dehydration (which can be scary).   He's okay now.        Bob got a bad deal here..........whomever followed the fired Ernie Harwell was going to be hated and that's why Frank Beckman didn't do it right away. 

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Did a little more digging about Justyn and came across this quote from Law during a write up on the AFL a month ago. In the comments of the article somebody also asked if he viewed him as an everyday player and he said yes.

Malloy started in High A this year at age 22 and ended up in Triple A for the last week-plus of the season. Like the other older hitters I mentioned above, Malloy showed excellent plate discipline at all levels, with 97 walks and 138 strikeouts in 133 games this year. He’s the best hitter of this cluster, though, showing better off-speed recognition and ridiculous strength, driving a slider from a right-hander (so he didn’t have the platoon advantage) to right-center for a hard-hit double and turning on average velocity whenever he saw it. I didn’t get him against plus velocity, but didn’t see any issues with his bat speed. I’m surprised he only hit 16 homers this year because everything I saw him hit was loud.

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

This reads as though his biggest challenge to overcome to succeed in the majors will be hitting plus velocity at at least an average clip. That may be what he primarily works while on the farm.

25 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Could you imagine if there was social media when Ernie got fired?      Still the most senseless PR move in Detroit history. 

I believe the issue at the time was that Bo resented Ernie’s stature in general, and when Ernie crossed a line with some career demand, Bo decided he was going to run him out of town.

For anyone not around at the time, it is difficult to overstate just how god-like Bo was around Detroit during his tenure at Michigan, certainly the equal if not the greater of Ernie. But Bo lost the battle mainly because he wasn’t beloved, and Ernie was.

My take is that while pleased to see Joe J finally show consistent good outings this year, his history (and that of BPs in general) argues he shouldn’t be counted on to perform that well going forward. And with 2023 being a year where contending seems out of reach even with some upgrades, why not cash in on his 2022 year to get a hitter with real skills?

Malloy may never do much. But he does seem to know how to hit. I hope they use this next year to determine if 3B is a possibility for him, splitting time with games in LF. Even if he were to end up as a DH in a couple years, that could be good value for a year of Joe.

10 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

The elephant in the room though is that he not only spells Justin with a y but also has a hyphenated first name. Usually I'd pass on somebody like that but hopefully his game will overcome that. 

That is a very real problem.  I still like the numbers, but I'd like him better if his name was Justin Malloy.