2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

On 12/2/2022 at 7:29 AM, alex said:

... Yes, Harris will more than likely sign 1-2 more SPs, maybe for not as much (or one for as much?)...

I am on board as long as it (signing Boyd) does not effect what is done with (other) potential upgrades ...

Italics are my comments/ info.... But I wanted to address this in the form of some Q&A... feel free to participate if interested:

The Question is: who will be 2023 Wentz and Brieske? And, hopefully we don't get this deep in 2023, but who might be a Garrett Hill if it comes to that?

Because... the answers to those questions, IMO, are intriguing.

I think all 4 of these guys will make it to AAA in 2023: Wilmer Flores, Ty Madden, Austin Bergner & Brant Hurter. The first two being higher end potential (probably MUCH higher potential than Wentz & Brieske), and Bergner & Hurter being back-end rotation talents like Hill.

I think all 4 of these guys will be ready to make MLB debuts if called upon, although probably closer to mid-to-end of season rather than at the beginning....

Any comments/ thoughts?

Reading between the lines yesterday from Harris's comments it seems he is making presentations to free agents but they just aren't biting as of yet. It also seems that he wants to reserve at bats for young players at the MLB level which also may have influenced his decision to DFA Candy since  it does not make sense to pay the 7 mil for part time player especially knowing Candy wants to play full time to rebuild his platform for free agency after 2023.

10 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Italics are my comments/ info.... But I wanted to address this in the form of some Q&A... feel free to participate if interested:

The Question is: who will be 2023 Wentz and Brieske? And, hopefully we don't get this deep in 2023, but who might be a Garrett Hill if it comes to that?

I think all 4 of these guys will make it to AAA in 2023: Wilmer Flores, Ty Madden, Austin Bergner & Brant Hurter. The first two being higher end potential (probably MUCH higher potential than Wentz & Brieske), and Bergner & Hurter being back-end rotation talents like Hill.

I think all 4 of these guys will be ready to make MLB debuts if called upon, although probably closer to mid-to-end of season rather than at the beginning....

Any comments/ thoughts?

Could be all of the above ? It seems part of the "plan" is to promote aggressively to the MLB level with the expectation that "development" will continue at that level and not stop at AAA. Sort of like a MLB/AAAA hybrid. I think that will be Scott Harris's main imprint. It seems you will get your wish to evaluate all the young players you have been touting sooner rather than later. Look at the Dodgers as the model or goal. They add stars but also commit to promoting their youth. 

Edited by SoCalTiger
spelling

barring injuries, I think there is a good chance we see most of the guys you mentioned.  We still have a bunch of question marks in our current rotation--I'm not counting on Skubal at all, Turnbull's recovery seems to have gone slowly and Manning seems as fragile as a china doll.  I'd feel better if we signed another SP to provide some insurance.

14 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

barring injuries, I think there is a good chance we see most of the guys you mentioned.  We still have a bunch of question marks in our current rotation--I'm not counting on Skubal at all, Turnbull's recovery seems to have gone slowly and Manning seems as fragile as a china doll.  I'd feel better if we signed another SP to provide some insurance.

I'm OK with signing another vet starter... although I don't feel any particular leaning towards what level that starter is (not related to anything you've posted, just adding an extra 2 cents...). I think the next vet starter would be primarily for, as you've stated it, insurance. And to me that really could be anything so I won't sweat whoever that guy might turn out to be as much as... just glad if we add one more "guy" just to have in the mix...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Many times, a new GM or President of a team, will bring in his own people and get rid of the previous GM players to start a rebuild. Not giving Candelario 7 million dollars, with no other 3rd baseman on the roster is a very bad sign, IMO. Is he planning on rebuilding the entire roster? And try to go cheap? Forget 7 or 8 years, it may be never. I was encouraged going into last season and then very disappointed. Going into this season, I'm not very hopeful. Hopefully he doesn't trade away our young pitchers for a 3rd baseman who gives us even less offense and worse defense.

I don't know, maybe give the new guy a bit more than a few months to build a team?

16 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Next question... based on Harris's comments as SoCal pointed out...

How much MLB time do we see in 2023 for Wenceel Perez? Switch-hitting infielder with speed, and some developing power, and no noticeable split variances...

Depends on how many at bats are available in Detroit which obviously depends on which FA they sign, but I'll guess a September call up. He'll have to impress in spring training and tear up the AA/AAA like he did lower levels last year for it to be much quicker.

25 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Could be all of the above ? It seems part of the "plan" is to promote aggressively to the MLB level with the expectation that "development" will continue at that level and not stop at AAA. Sort of like a MLB/AAAA hybrid. I think that will be Scott Harris's main imprint. It seems you will get your wish to evaluate all the young players you have been touting sooner rather than later. Look at the Dodgers as the model or goal. They add stars but also commit to promoting their youth. 

I like this ideology/ method...

A little more fleshing out: I think Madden, Flores & Bergner will start out in AAA, and get any MLB starts based on turn-in-the-rotation, etc... Hurter, I think, won't make AAA until at least mid-season and therefore would be more of an end of season consideration... and might be a bullpen consideration at that (Hurter), not necessarily lined up to get a start or two...

Just my 2 cents.

13 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I like this ideology/ method...

A little more fleshing out: I think Madden, Flores & Bergner will start out in AAA, and get any MLB starts based on turn-in-the-rotation, etc... Hurter, I think, won't make AAA until at least mid-season and therefore would be more of an end of season consideration... and might be a bullpen consideration at that (Hurter), not necessarily lined up to get a start or two...

Just my 2 cents.

It seems in line with what you and others have been saying. I am curious how it plays out but I hope they make quicker evaluations on player's than the last management team did. We can't afford to waste so much time on players like the Castros, Lugo's, Goodrums , Stewarts, etc snd let good young players like Parades etc get away. Try them when ready in a systematic planned way over a reasonable amount of time and then keep or move on. So guys like Clemens, Lipcous, Perez , Badoo, Rogers, Madris etc should be up next in the "hopper' and if they look and play bad then move on quickly. 

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Any comments/ thoughts?

Reese Olson looks like the most likely Wentz / Hill for this year IMO. Although your question may be more focused on guys not currently on the 40 man roster.

1 hour ago, SoCalTiger said:

Reading between the lines yesterday from Harris's comments it seems he is making presentations to free agents but they just aren't biting as of yet. It also seems that he wants to reserve at bats for young players at the MLB level which also may have influenced his decision to DFA Candy since  it does not make sense to pay the 7 mil for part time player especially knowing Candy wants to play full time to rebuild his platform for free agency after 2023.

I was thinking along these same lines. Given our current situation, Detroit might be a tough sell. I wouldn’t be floored if Scott Harris left San Diego without signing any major league free agents or making any trades, and that the next big move comes after the new year. We have been warned that it will be a slow process digging out of the huge hole. 

54 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'm OK with signing another vet starter... although I don't feel any particular leaning towards what level that starter is (not related to anything you've posted, just adding an extra 2 cents...). I think the next vet starter would be primarily for, as you've stated it, insurance. And to me that really could be anything so I won't sweat whoever that guy might turn out to be as much as... just glad if we add one more "guy" just to have in the mix...

I almost view his comments as a sign that they aren't interested in going bottom of the barrel on starters (ie. Mike Pineda or Jose Urena types) and are more just willing to accept what they have internally to fill whatever gaps they have. 

Long term, it's the right move, but it's no doubt a leap of faith in the short term. 

14 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Reese Olson looks like the most likely Wentz / Hill for this year IMO. Although your question may be more focused on guys not currently on the 40 man roster.

Crap... I totally forgot about Olson.

He'll start out at AAA with the other 3 IMO and make whatever 2023 MLB starts they can squeeze him into...

17 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I was thinking along these same lines. Given our current situation, Detroit might be a tough sell. I wouldn’t be floored if Scott Harris left San Diego without signing any major league free agents or making any trades, and that the next big move comes after the new year. We have been warned that it will be a slow process digging out of the huge hole. 

The market just seems slow more broadly as well and might pick up whenever the big names start coming off the board

Edited by mtutiger

Heyman says that Turner turned downed a guarantee $342 million(1 mill more than Lindor) from the Padres to sign with the Phils for 300.

No idea what the terms or years were but if true that is crazy to leave that much money on the table especially coming from a contending team in a desirable location. 

21 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Heyman says that Turner turned downed a guarantee $342 million(1 mill more than Lindor) from the Padres to sign with the Phils for 300.

No idea what the terms or years were but if true that is crazy to leave that much money on the table especially coming from a contending team in a desirable location. 

Let's see, laid back fan base in sunshine & 80s every day of the year or play where they throw batteries at Santa?

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I fear you are correct. I still think we will add one foundation piece but after reading what Harris said yesterday it might indeed be a slower climb. 

56 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I was assured that players always went where the most money was. 😏

Joking aside, Turner is an east coaster and wanted to play out there.

14 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

ya I read it's the wife's family and his desire to play with his buddy Harper. To each his own but wow very few would have made that choice. 

You're talking 81 games (not counting playoffs) at the ballpark, seven months. It's actually not a bad area. Closer to family. With the amount of money he's getting really doesn't make that much difference, especially if you can get away in the Winter.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

You're talking 81 games (not counting playoffs) at the ballpark, seven months. It's actually not a bad area. Closer to family. With the amount of money he's getting really doesn't make that much difference, especially if you can get away in the Winter.

THANK you. The difference is not enough to forego the situation you really prefer for the next 11+ years just for marginally extra money. The lifestyle of someone with 342MM is practically no different from the lifestyle of someone with 300MM.

I also wonder if the appeal of basically being penciled in as the starting SS everyday if he wants was more appealing to him, he can get that in Philly but with Tatis at SS, he would likely be sharing time there at best and considering they have a few other talented infielders as well he may have basicslly played the role of super utility guy. Yeah he'd play everyday but it very well may have been a different position every night. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Well they did jettison him about two minutes after drafting him...

And maybe he likes the East coast or his family lives there cause of the Washington years or he doesn't want to face the dodgers a bunch. I mean he still has 300 million. Pretty sure he can afford anything he needs.