2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

Just now, Tiger337 said:

yeah, I know there are some good fans who expressed surprise.  I just think the Tigers have been so terrible for so long, we have forgotten what a real ball player is!

Yeah, I alluded to that in a post a couple days ago in which I said our view of what a good team should be so skewed that we still view the sub-replacement-level players we have had knocking around for years as being acceptable options for the Scott Harris Tigers.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

yeah, I know there are some good fans who expressed surprise.  I just think the Tigers have been so terrible for so long, we have forgotten what a real ball player is!

I don’t know about you morans, but I’d be aight if none of those 7 were with the club starting next season.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

While this seems like a reasonable approach, I'm going to guess (though it's only that)  that ownership is pushing for results on the field because the "trust me, we are fixing the machine but it's not really going to be working until the day after tomorrow" was more or less what we got from Avila for the last 5 yrs, and it did finally get Al fired.

Well, I would certainly hope Ilitch would prefer to see a winner next season.  And clearly he wanted someone else in charge.  It’d be fun to know what the directives are that he’s laid down for Harris.  It’s all speculation to us.

10 hours ago, Longgone said:

What Harris has repeatedly stressed is that his focus will be on accumulating young talent and development. This wouldn't preclude prime contracts to aging players on the downside of their careers, but I doubt it. I think he will look for ascending players, player who could rebound from injury or poor performance, or players he could flip.

This team could use all of the above.  Although, unfortunately, they seem well stocked with plenty of players who “could” rebound from poor performance.

4 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

When you have Reyes and Castro starting over half a season's games it means you suck, and I like both players -- as utility/backup guys.  They can both fill that roll very well.     

The Tigers haven't fielded a team that can reasonably be expected to be mediocre ((i.e., 81 wins) for some time. I am not too concerned where or how the organization finds better players. Do it now, because I am tired of watching this ridiculous and insane collection Scottish bagpipers trying to impersonate ball players.

1 hour ago, Dan Gilmore said:

Agreed. Any team, including good ones, can have a Castro, or a Reyes as a backup. A backup that sees limited playing time, best stashed at AAA. The  list shows the Tigers had a bunch of those guys (plus others of similar value) on rosters for years. 

The problem for guys like Reyes and Harold who are fairly average for utility guys is just that they need the roster spots because of the long term injured they have and utlity players are fairly fungible - you will be able to find them again later once you get your 60's back on the 60 and you've brought in the primarly pieces you have decided to pursue.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

The problem for guys like Reyes and Harold who are fairly average for utility guys is just that they need the roster spots because of the long term injured they have and utlity players are fairly fungible - you will be able to find them again later once you get your 60's back on the 60 and you've brought in the primarly pieces you have decided to pursue.

This is true.  Would rather protect/select guys who will be longer term options. 

6 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

It's 84lives.  

PS:

I DO however, have a kilt that looks damn close to that; a sporran, knee-high tartan socks, etc... Never that mohawk though. I was surrounded though, by friends in all-black including lipstick, or purple hair teased into a wild Robert Smith hairdo...

I've seen on other sites where a lot of people are quite upset over the release of Victor Reyes.   That's when I know they don't really know much about how baseball works. 

I liked it better when Free Agency was a free-for-all right out of the gate.    It was more fun than this leaky faucet of drip-drip-drip news.    Boring. 

6 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I've seen on other sites where a lot of people are quite upset over the release of Victor Reyes.   That's when I know they don't really know much about how baseball works. 

I liked it better when Free Agency was a free-for-all right out of the gate.    It was more fun than this leaky faucet of drip-drip-drip news.    Boring. 

When was mlb ever that?

3 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

The offseason will be forever slow as long as teams want to maximize 40 man depth and wait until they can clear roster spots via the 60-Day IL in mid-February.

yeah - I don't like the rule requiring teams to put all guys out long term back on the roster. I understand the abuse it's meant to stop but there are other ways just as effective and less punative to real injuries. For instance they could have said a guy who was on the 60 for 60 or more before the end of the season could stay on it. That would cover a guy like pitcher out on an unquestionably long stay like TJ (i.e. Mize). You aren't going to stash a guy that's worth anything more a few few weeks during a season just to save your 40th roster spot.