2022 MLB Postseason Thread

chasfh

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I don't know how the Yankees can rationalize to their fans and their media letting Judge walk after putting up an all-time-great season, including breaking the Yankees' presumed birthright that is the American League season record for home runs. Since it is the Yankees, I don't think "but we can't afford it" applies here.

He's going back to New York. Book it.

He could very well stay in NY but still change uniforms.  That would be the ultimate flex from Steve Cohen. 

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

He could very well stay in NY but still change uniforms.  That would be the ultimate flex from Steve Cohen. 

He could, but I can't see the Yankees allowing that to happen, at least by lowballing Judge on the offer. It would have to be something on an order of magnitude like, I don't know, maybe Yankees offer 10/400, but Cohen offers 12/500. Something like that. He wouldn't abandon the Yankees for the Mets because they're giving him an extra ten bucks.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

He could, but I can't see the Yankees allowing that to happen, at least by lowballing Judge on the offer. It would have to be something on an order of magnitude like, I don't know, maybe Yankees offer 10/400, but Cohen offers 12/500. Something like that. He wouldn't abandon the Yankees for the Mets because they're giving him an extra ten bucks.

What if Cohen chooses to overpay?  If he’s going to bid against the Yankees, I wouldn’t expect him to fuck around.   10/$450 would be insane but wouldn’t shock me at all from him. 

25 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

What if Cohen chooses to overpay?  If he’s going to bid against the Yankees, I wouldn’t expect him to fuck around.   10/$450 would be insane but wouldn’t shock me at all from him. 

What, 12/500 isn't an overpay?? 😉😅

I agree he could overpay, but I think the overpay would have to be dramatic to pry Judge from his organizational home of nine years. It's not going to come down to who gives him the extra penny.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Do you think he would take a 10/410 contract to play with the Pirates over a 10/400 to stay with the Yankees?

1 hour ago, sabretooth said:

This.  Generally it's about the total $$ but Correa just disproved that as an iron-clad rule last year.

I'm interested in @Tenacious D's answer to the question.

43 minutes ago, chasfh said:

@Tenacious D? Is he speaking for you?

Lol he's waiting for your answer.

The fact is, there could be a difference in the money that is so overwhelming that "winning team" becomes secondary.  If the money is close then of course winning matters.  So you can't write a rule about having to play for a winner without also acknowledging that there is an amount of money, such as Lindor's contract, that Correa would accept without regard for potential to win if no one else offered anything close.

4 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

You could have ended your sentence after contract.

Following up with you on this because it's your thoughts I am interested in hearing about this. If it's only about the best contract and nothing else for ballplayers, do you think Aaron Judge would take a 10/410 contract to play with the Pittsburgh Pirates over a 10/400 to stay with the New York Yankees? Do you believe the extra $10 million would make up for all the losing and absence from playoffs?

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

Lol he's waiting for your answer.

The fact is, there could be a difference in the money that is so overwhelming that "winning team" becomes secondary.  If the money is close then of course winning matters.  So you can't write a rule about having to play for a winner without also acknowledging that there is an amount of money, such as Lindor's contract, that Correa would accept without regard for potential to win if no one else offered anything close.

Just to clarify, I certainly didn't think that Correa signed with the Twins for any personal reasons, but it appears that he left much bigger deals on the table in order to better position himself for the next deal.

I think your take is basically correct.  Players make decisions about contracts for various reasons, *starting with and primarily about the $$*, but not exclusively so. 

to clarify, Jim Cowan always speaks for me.  He has my unconditional proxy on all of my personal affairs, including responding here.

I do believe that Correa will/would sign with the Tigers if given the most attractive contract offer.  I also believe we are one of a few teams in a position to provide that to him, and have the need.  Most of the traditional big spenders don't have a need at SS.  Now, if any of the teams with free agent SS's (i.e., Red Sox, Dodgers, Braves), prefer Correa and pivot to him, I think we would be in the mix for the displaced SS (i.e., Swanson, Turner, Boegarts).  

I also believe that no one, including Correa, would be short-sighted enough to get hung up on last season's performance.  A savvy agent and/or player would recognize that this is a team trying to win--we increased our payroll last season and made some very progressive hires at manager and in the front office.  Further, anyone with any reasonable intelligence would look at the Tigers and recognize that the team had a ton of bad luck in '22.

All bets are off, though, if a player prefers a different geography.  Given that Correa signed in Minneapolis, which has a similar climate to Detroit, it shouldn't be an issue, though it was clear he had no other viable options last offseason.

My point is that geography and/or perceptions of the market might factor in, but I don't think our W-L record last season will matter.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

to clarify, Jim Cowan always speaks for me.  He has my unconditional proxy on all of my personal affairs, including responding here.

I do believe that Correa will/would sign with the Tigers if given the most attractive contract offer.  I also believe we are one of a few teams in a position to provide that to him, and have the need.  Most of the traditional big spenders don't have a need at SS.  Now, if any of the teams with free agent SS's (i.e., Red Sox, Dodgers, Braves), prefer Correa and pivot to him, I think we would be in the mix for the displaced SS (i.e., Swanson, Turner, Boegarts).  

I also believe that no one, including Correa, would be short-sighted enough to get hung up on last season's performance.  A savvy agent and/or player would recognize that this is a team trying to win--we increased our payroll last season and made some very progressive hires at manager and in the front office.  Further, anyone with any reasonable intelligence would look at the Tigers and recognize that the team had a ton of bad luck in '22.

All bets are off, though, if a player prefers a different geography.  Given that Correa signed in Minneapolis, which has a similar climate to Detroit, it shouldn't be an issue, though it was clear he had no other viable options last offseason.

My point is that geography and/or perceptions of the market might factor in, but I don't think our W-L record last season will matter.

Do you think players take into account how playing for higher profile organizations may affect their popularity and resulting earnings from endorsements?