2022 MLB Postseason Thread

chasfh

16 hours ago, oblong said:

I have nothing to back this up with but I would say no because the ultimate goal is to protect the overall brand of MLB of which a team is a franchise of. They can make the appropriate business deal for themselves, regarding financing, but MLB has rules and standards that have to be met. 

I understand rules and regs but if the above applies to every team all of the time that would be a pretty strong strait-jacket.  That would imply a lot less flexibility for owners than I had previously thought was the case.

16 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

I understand rules and regs but if the above applies to every team all of the time that would be a pretty strong strait-jacket.  That would imply a lot less flexibility for owners than I had previously thought was the case.

I say that because I assume they want to do whatever is needed to prevent any chance of insolvency.  It’s not just a bad look for the league but there’s real world implications for their competition.   Imagine a scenario where a team is behind on payment to vendors so they stop supplying clean towels.  Or a hotel or airplane situation comes up where a team can’t get to KC in time and a game has to be forfeited. Stadium support staff walks out because payroll once again didn’t get met? MLB teams are not trying to put each othe out of business. They are all partners. 

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I say that because I assume they want to do whatever is needed to prevent any chance of insolvency.  It’s not just a bad look for the league but there’s real world implications for their competition.   Imagine a scenario where a team is behind on payment to vendors so they stop supplying clean towels.  Or a hotel or airplane situation comes up where a team can’t get to KC in time and a game has to be forfeited. Stadium support staff walks out because payroll once again didn’t get met? MLB teams are not trying to put each othe out of business. They are all partners. 

After reading Lords of the Realm a couple years ago, it's pretty clear where these guard rails came from. The Mariners and Orioles had owners in the late 80's go belly up. It was a common thing. Less of an issue now with revenue sharing making that very difficult. Still, we have had some situations like the Rangers under Tom Hicks, McCourt and the Dodgers, and the Wilpons getting Madoff'ed.

There are some other things in the section on the Debt Service Rule that ties the league's hand from restricting spending on players. But, let's say the Tigers wanted to go all in and blow through the international slot budget in the 2012-16 range when that was allowed, I think any such deals could have been quashed. Also, that rule has been eased up a bit the past couple years as it is known some teams had reduced cashflow in 2020-21. The commissioner also has some latitude and I don't think they flex often.

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

After reading Lords of the Realm a couple years ago, it's pretty clear where these guard rails came from. The Mariners and Orioles had owners in the late 80's go belly up. It was a common thing. Less of an issue now with revenue sharing making that very difficult. Still, we have had some situations like the Rangers under Tom Hicks, McCourt and the Dodgers, and the Wilpons getting Madoff'ed.

There are some other things in the section on the Debt Service Rule that ties the league's hand from restricting spending on players. But, let's say the Tigers wanted to go all in and blow through the international slot budget in the 2012-16 range when that was allowed, I think any such deals could have been quashed. Also, that rule has been eased up a bit the past couple years as it is known some teams had reduced cashflow in 2020-21. The commissioner also has some latitude and I don't think they flex often.

Fascinating, I really had no idea that the MLB front office could pull the team's strings in so many ways.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

All good points, I guess this explains why teams basically demand a huge amount of public support for stadium projects, they are basically designing a very small financial cage if they try to finance them otherwise.

4 hours ago, sabretooth said:

All good points, I guess this explains why teams basically demand a huge amount of public support for stadium projects, they are basically designing a very small financial cage if they try to finance them otherwise.

Reads to me as though Baseball has designed it specifically to be that way, to allow teams to plead the small cage theory while they are demanding the money from municipalities, counties, and states. Given that MLB is essentially the sum of its owner parts, it strikes me as a pretty ingenious way to exploit the Sherman clause, essentially colluding to rake taxpayers for our dollars to pay for their vanity stadium projects which, not for nothing, socialize the cost while privatizing the profits.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Reads to me as though Baseball has designed it specifically to be that way, to allow teams to plead the small cage theory while they are demanding the money from municipalities, counties, and states. Given that MLB is essentially the sum of its owner parts, it strikes me as a pretty ingenious way to exploit the Sherman clause, essentially colluding to rake taxpayers for our dollars to pay for their vanity stadium projects which, not for nothing, socialize the cost while privatizing the profits.

Absolutely, I didnt mean to imply that owners were unwitting or unwilling in this scheme.

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Houston 1 hits the Yankees to take a 3-0 lead in the ALCS. Baker has the luxury of going with a 4 starter rotation in the playoffs. Who can even think about doing that? They ever went 4 deep even back in the day.....

You probably have to go back to the '70s. Baltimore had 4 20 game winners in 1971. Palmer, Cueller, McNally, and Dobson. They still lost to Pittsburgh in the series.

The 1966 Dodgers had Koufax, Drysdale, Osteen and Sutton...and lost to Baltimore in the series.

1972 A's featured Hunter, Holtzman, Blue Moon Odom and Vida Blue....

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Does any team do a five-man rotation in the playoffs? I thought all the off days allowed teams to do four.

heck almost all teams cut it back to three. I suppose this season doesn't really count against the norms though because they have cut some of the normal off days in this year's playoffs. 

Edited by gehringer_2

11 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

heck almost all teams cut it back to three. I suppose this season doesn't really count against the norms though because they have cut some of the normal off days in this year's playoffs. 

I thought you were suggesting they normally do a five man!

30 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Last game as a Yankee?  I don’t see how they can sign him with their current payroll. SF Giants next season?

If Mr. I were still alive, I would have put the Tigers in the mix.

If the Giants want to keep up with LA and now SD then yes Judge is the best place to start.