2022 MLB Postseason Thread

chasfh

What an incredible night of baseball tonight!!! An 18 inning, scoreless classic with the Astros beating the Mariners. Then, we get to watch Cleveland claw back to win with 5 singles in the 9th and basehit after basehit to get the winning run in. As they said on the TBS broadcast, small ball beat power ball tonight.

Wow, if the Padres hang on (and I hope they do),  the Dodgers, for all the domination in the regular season they've had the last half a decade, the only title would be in 2020....the 60 game seasons that'll never really feel legit.     Kind of feels like the early 90's Braves.  

But who knows, maybe they'll score 5 runs in the top of the 9th. 

8 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Today's the kind of day you just LOVE if you're a sports fan. Great football to watch with Alabama and Tennessee followed up by two great baseball games. Michigan winning always helps too!

And then I wake up to the Padres beating up on the Dodgers!

Given how LA has owned them over the years, that's years of psychological terror that San Diego and their fans just excised...

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

And then I wake up to the Padres beating up on the Dodgers!

Given how LA has owned them over the years, that's years of psychological terror that San Diego and their fans just excised...

I hear that the Padre fans were so excited, they marched overnight to Tennessee to repossess the goal posts that were torn down after Tennessee beat Alabama.

25 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Is the greater risk his attitude/teammate lack of respect or that his performance might have been enhanced?

That and the 12 year commitment if all of those things snowball.

Also, worth pointing out AAV math (for luxury tax purposes) for pre-arb extensions and how that has changed for traded players in the new CBA. Pre-arb extensions typically have the same escalation as normal contracts where money increases until year 6 and maxes out after that. This drives the AAV way down for the back end of those contracts. Now teams that acquire players get the AAV from the time of the trade to the end of the deal.

Tatis's AAV number right now is about $24.3M.

If he is traded this offseason, it is about $27.8M.

Also, reading between the lines on how Harris has talked about a development culture, I have a feeling soft factors like work ethic will be emphasized a lot by this front office (and could see that rubbing people here the wrong way).

Edited by Edman85

2 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

3 teams won 100+ games in the NL this year and it's the Phillies and Padres in the NLCS, both that failed to win 90.  Baseball is a crazy sport.    

Back in 2006 we had the feeling that the Tigers long layoff hurt them.   2 teams that had almost a week off have faltered now and the Yankees could be the third today.   Maybe there really is something to it.  Kind of like a rhythm to it