Detroit Tigers Mount Rushmore

Tenacious D

For me, three are pretty cut and dry: Cobb, Kaline and Greenberg.  The last is a bit trickier, with Gehringer, Trammell and Cabrera in the mix.  I’m going with Trammell over Cabrera—played his entire career with the Tigers, won a WS, HOF’er, and a sentimental pick as my all-time favorite Tiger.

My final:

Cobb

Kaline

Greenberg

Trammell

5 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Greenberg, Cobb, Kaline, Horton

Greenberg with the most visible spot (Washington's). He lost 5 prime years to WW2 and re-upped TWICE. Horton because he is Detroit.

its bad enough that they retired horton's number, i dont know if he's in the top 20 tigers, much less the top 4.

10 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Cobb - Greenberg - Kaline - Cabrera

Ditto. Some may question the Miggy choice since he didn't bring the Tigers a championship nor did he start his career here but he has been here for the vast majority of his career and while not bringing home a championship he was part of a half decade of strong teams which hadnt been done here in over 20 years at that point.

Individually he was the rare Tiger that at one point was considered the very best player in the game, even if it was for a brief period of time. Also at his peak no Tiger outside of Cobb was as good as him. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Ditto. Some may question the Miggy choice since he didn't bring the Tigers a championship nor did he start his career here but he was the rare Tiger that at one point was considered the very best player in the game, even if it was for a brief period of time. Also at his peak no Tiger outside of Cobb was as good as him. 

youre obviously not concerned about defense.  

not only were kaline and gehringer top ten hitters, they were also two of the best defenders at their positions.  cabrera was one of the best hitters of his generation, but a big minus in the field.

and hank greenberg's peak was as good as cabrera's.  and then he got 5 years taken away from him.

38 minutes ago, buddha said:

cabrera was one of the best hitters of his generation, but a big minus in the field.

Cabrera never had great range at 1st, but he had good hands on anything hit to him, was excellent at  starting the 3-5-3(1) turn and was blessed with a lot of reach being as big as he is and was always very good at saving throws which is the single most important thing for 1b.. He was not a liability at 1b relative to the average league 1b for a good bit of his time there for the Tigers despite never having a good DRS. Later on, sure.

Edited by gehringer_2

Feels like an appropriate place for this—Whitaker again snubbed for the HOF—didn’t even make it on the veterans ballot:

Lou Whitaker snubbed by Hall of Fame again; Detroit Tigers great left off vet ballot

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2022/11/07/tigers-lou-whitaker-snubbed-by-baseball-hall-of-fame-vet-ballot/69627773007/