The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

2 hours ago, pfife said:

Perfect. Let's get some bill  Tuberville is invested in that doesn't affect the budget or national security and then Biden can tell him it's not going anywhere until Tuberville releases DOD appointments. That's one of the problems with these GOP pols who don't actually care about governing, they never work on any legislation so you can never anything they want.

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Perfect. Let's get some bill  Tuberville is invested in that doesn't affect the budget or national security and then Biden can tell him it's not going anywhere until Tuberville releases DOD appointments. That's one of the problems with these GOP pols who don't actually care about governing, they never work on any legislation so you can never anything they want.

Weirdly, Nick Saban is probably the most progressive figure in Alabama.   After Saban, the most progressive element is likely the state chapter of the [insert ridiculously arch-right wing organization from the before times]. 

Possible answers: 

• Montgomery Alabama Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (for all I know there isn't one)
  • Anita Bryant fan club
  • Evil Scientists Who Would Have Gotten Away With It If It Hadn't Been For Those Meddling Kids League

The first time I experienced Dead culture in person was in 2016 at Pine Knob.  It was the nicest and most polite crowd at a concert I ever saw.  Bumping into people in crowded lines and such.... no problem.  Everybody was so cool.  "Hey man, excuse me... sorry about that dude..."  "It's all good..".  

There was a instagram reel I saw of two young ladies who were complaining they were told they were seeing a John Mayer concert and instead it was a Grateful Dead concert.  They were decked out in daisy dukes and halter tops expecting to dance to pop bubble gum love songs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Or else, it is Tuberville's intent to try to get this pet bill of his signed in exchange for the release of DOD appointments.

Don't negotiate with terrorists.

19 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Or else, it is Tuberville's intent to try to get this pet bill of his signed in exchange for the release of DOD appointments.

Don't negotiate with terrorists.

With Harbaugh in the news, it's interesting to contrast his original take on the portal. Harbaugh was a big early supporter of the portal as a means for kids to get one chance *early* to correct a bad recruiting choice. This bill turns that part upside down and doesn't do anything for the kid who honestly finds himself somewhere he doesn't want to be. Another example of the best interests of the kids, particularly the non-star kids,  getting short shrift.

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

With Harbaugh in the news, it's interesting to contrast his original take on the portal. Harbaugh was a big early supporter of the portal as a means for kids to get one chance *early* to correct a bad recruiting choice. This bill turns that part upside down and doesn't do anything for the kid who honestly finds himself somewhere he doesn't want to be. Another example of the best interests of the kids, particularly the non-star kids,  getting short shrift.

I don't know much about college football, but is Tuberville interested in protecting Big Football's roster depth? Wondering what would be the personal gain for him here?

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

but is Tuberville interested in protecting Big Football's roster depth? Wondering what would be the personal gain for him here?

He's looking out for his SEC buddies that are probably a big chuck of his financial support and with whom he probably still has a lot of other profitable relationships as well.

From what I can figure, the schools seem to be willing to live with whatever status the courts want to give the playrers. What they really want is Congress to protect them from the states. They want Congress to pre-empt state authority over college sports so they only have to deal with a single system. Otherwise state meddling will eventually make it impossible for conferences to exist across state lines.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, MIguy said:

She was just in DC yesterday casting a vote.  

I know she technically was still working.  Mentally she's been out of it for awhile.  California has been represented by her last two chief of staffs for awhile now.  Well them and that other senator that told her to 'just vote aye' recently.

Somewhat expect a surprise pick by Newsom.  I suspect he's going to try and find an older black women that has no interest in running so Lee can't lambast him for going against a promise, but at the same time, not influencing what is currently looking like a Porter/Schiff/Lee battle.