The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

4 hours ago, MIguy said:

I'm still in favor of Trump as Speaker.   Might as well have the highest level of chaos possible with the Republican party.  

Trump would never do that.  Going from President to Speaker would be a huge drop in status.  There is nothing in it for him.  

Michael Steele in Threads

Those who are blaming Democrats for McCarthy's demise, tell me why on Earth 1 OR 2 would Democrats risk political capital with their own base to save McCarthy (who backs efforts to impeach Biden)? They didn’t petition to “vacate the chair” nor did they agree to change the rules to give that power to one member. And you know damn well Republicans wouldn't even consider doing any of that if the roles were reversed. So why would Democrats?

21 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Michael Steele in Threads

Those who are blaming Democrats for McCarthy's demise, tell me why on Earth 1 OR 2 would Democrats risk political capital with their own base to save McCarthy (who backs efforts to impeach Biden)? They didn’t petition to “vacate the chair” nor did they agree to change the rules to give that power to one member. And you know damn well Republicans wouldn't even consider doing any of that if the roles were reversed. So why would Democrats?

100%.

Bet no republican ever voted in support of Auntie Nancy for speaker of the house.

MyKevin literally started the hunter biden "impeachment inquiry" unilaterally.   No house vote, just a myKevin proclamation..

Imagine arguing Democrats should vote for that schlitz.   Absurd.

I heard a democratic caller calling into cspan this morning and he called "his own party" the democrat party so obviously he was fake.

19 minutes ago, pfife said:

100%.

Bet no republican ever voted in support of Auntie Nancy for speaker of the house.

MyKevin literally started the hunter biden "impeachment inquiry" unilaterally.   No house vote, just a myKevin proclamation..

Imagine arguing Democrats should vote for that schlitz.   Absurd.

I heard a democratic caller calling into cspan this morning and he called "his own party" the democrat party so obviously he was fake.

Also love the folks who act like that's a consequence-free vote for Democrats pols... particularly for the vulnerable ones that MyKev would spend millions working to defeat in 2024.

27 minutes ago, pfife said:

They're playing an interview with Tim Burchett (R) who is claiming that he voted against MyKevin because MyKevin hurt his feelings.  

Democrats hate America for not ironing that schlitz out for the republic party

Do these knuckleheads like Baseball Dan and Ari Fleischer really believe the dems should have helped?  Or are they just trying to parrot the company line.

Democrats dont want a GOP sppeaker.  When presented with a chance to get rid of one then they should act. THe same would hold true with Republicans.  

Sounds like Liz Cheney was lobbying democrats yesterday telling them not to support McCarthy regardless of the offer.  I'd love to see the Dems nominate her.  A single GOP vote would give that member the Cheney/Kinzinger treatment so there is no chance, but it would be fun to see her approach the threshold and get the GOP nervous.

15 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I still haven't heard a good explanation on this one

If Tom Nichols is mystified as to why Democrats are being blamed for not helping keep McCarthy in power, he should check in with Fox Views or NewsHax or Overthrow America Network and he can learn there. It's risky, though, since he may experience Raiders-like face melting afterwards.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Do these knuckleheads like Baseball Dan and Ari Fleischer really believe the dems should have helped?  Or are they just trying to parrot the company line.

Democrats dont want a GOP sppeaker.  When presented with a chance to get rid of one then they should act. THe same would hold true with Republicans.  

What the knuckleheads don't understand* as well is that a Kevin McCarthy who survived on Democratic votes would have only hastened his demise as Speaker as well over the long term.

It's just very strange** that all these cynical politicos are conveniently deciding to pretend we live in Sorkin-land when they all know how this game works.

*they understand but are arguing in bad faith

**it's not strange, they are again arguing in bad faith

Edited by mtutiger

12 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

This is a really interesting thread giving the Dem perspective on this, and even sheds some light that I hadn't even considered.

It's what I said before - for Repubs like McCarthy their very psychic identity is so tied to their tribal membership they can't act rationally in their own or the greater public interest if it implies a compromise in that identity. They are are all in a state of psychological paralysis. They are de-evolved,  basically examples of pre-civilization homo-sapiens.

Edited by gehringer_2

53 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's what I said before - for Repubs like McCarthy their very psychic identity is so tied to their tribal membership they can't act rationally in their own or the greater public interest if it implies a compromise in that identity. They are are all in a state of psychological paralysis. They are de-evolved,  basically examples of pre-civilization homo-sapiens.

Both this thread and just the general actions of McCarthy heading into the votes suggest just a complete misestimation of his Dem colleagues all around, both during the lead up to the possible shutdown, the aftermath and now this vote.

It's like they tried to set traps with the shutdown that didn't really materialize (with exception of maaaybe the fire alarm thing, but even that is questionable)... and then they rolled into yesterday and just assumed they'd get a few people to vote or take a walk without putting in any work at all. And it just backfired on all fronts.

Going out on a limb here, but outside of being a prodigious fundraiser, McCarthy otherwise seems like a really untalented politician... and it has showed. 

Edited by mtutiger

7 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Both this thread and just the general actions of McCarthy heading into the votes suggest just a complete misestimation of his Dem colleagues all around, both during the lead up to the possible shutdown, the aftermath and now this vote.

It's like they tried to set traps with the shutdown that didn't really materialize (with exception of maaaybe the fire alarm thing, but even that is questionable)... and then they rolled into yesterday and just assumed they'd get a few people to vote or take a walk without putting in any work at all. And it just backfired on all fronts.

Going out on a limb here, but outside of being a prodigious fundraiser, McCarthy otherwise seems like a really untalented politician... and it has showed. 

I suppose in 20 yrs when people are retired and writing books it might become more clear - or not since book writers often write with the express purpose of re-inventing history! - But it's not hard to believe both that that McCarthy expected the CR to go down, and Gaetz expected McCarthy to survive,  and the actual events only show neither had a clue about what they were doing. It's an old story - if you are going to manage a legislature you better be able to count votes before you ask for them to be taken.