The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

Can you imagine if, instead of Feinstein, someone like Sharrod Brown D-OH had died, and Republican governor Mike DeWine appointed a Republican to replace him, essentially giving Republicans the 51-49 edge in the Senate for the rest of this Congress? One lone guy with responsibility only to one state would have the power to alter the entire course of national legislative politics for the next year-plus. What a democracy-undermining shtshow that would be.

44 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Dems frantically searching to see if the Reps have buried any land mines.

I happened to catch a few minutes of C-SPAN this morning and that's exactly what Democrats were saying.  They called for a 90 minute adjournment so they could review the bill but it ended up being voted down.  If anything, calling the vote gave them 20 minutes or so to frantically go through it looking for any hidden BS.  

Edited by MIguy

23 minutes ago, MIguy said:

They just passed a 45 day extension so we can do it all over again before the holiday season begins.

yesterday probably signals the high water for the obstructionists though. They either have to dump McCarthy now or see their threats of the last month exposed as toothless. And if they dump McCarthy now, sentiment against them is strong enough that some kind of consensus candidate is a much more likely result than them getting in one of their own.

Edited by gehringer_2

32 minutes ago, MIguy said:

Is it just assumed that Democrats would go along with the Matt Gaetz wing of the Republican party and vote to remove McCarthy or might they sit things out, leaving the other side needing a majority of their own members to vote for removal?  

My own guess is that if they dump McCarthy neither party in the House will want to go through another exercise like the last one and some kind of consensus - possibly a non-partisan one, becomes more likely. Both side now have motivation. The Dems don't want to risk the GOP coming to consensus on another right winger, as unlikely as that may be at this point, and the non-Freedom-caucus GOP are seeing their re-election chances going down the tubes with the current crew in charge.

This is probably why the right wing will keep threatening but they will be increasingly impotent. As dumb as they are they have to know if they oust McCarthy they have no chance of retaining the remaining leverage they have with him in place.

Edited by gehringer_2

25 minutes ago, MIguy said:

Is it just assumed that Democrats would go along with the Matt Gaetz wing of the Republican party and vote to remove McCarthy or might they sit things out, leaving the other side needing a majority of their own members to vote for removal?  

I'm with G2.

The Dems know they have a winning hand with McCarthy out of the picture. They would vote with the fascist Republicans for McCarthy's removal because the hard right can NOT win another hard right speaker.

The Problem Solvers Republicans and other moderate Republicans will put up a moderate Speaker option and 100% of Dems will side with them. Bipartisan legislation to follow and hard right Republicans humiliated.

Am I dreaming or is that real?

Hmmm....

Just (wishful) thinking out loud...

But I think I'm right at least with what the Dems thinking about that.

15 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'm with G2.

The Dems know they have a winning hand with McCarthy out of the picture. They would vote with the fascist Republicans for McCarthy's removal because the hard right can NOT win another hard right speaker.

The Problem Solvers Republicans and other moderate Republicans will put up a moderate Speaker option and 100% of Dems will side with them. Bipartisan legislation to follow and hard right Republicans humiliated.

Am I dreaming or is that real?

Hmmm....

Just (wishful) thinking out loud...

But I think I'm right at least with what the Dems thinking about that.

Democrats would never vote for any Republican to be Speaker.  It wouldn't matter if it went on for weeks, every vote from the Democrats would be for Hakeem Jeffries.  

4 hours ago, MIguy said:

Democrats would never vote for any Republican to be Speaker.  It wouldn't matter if it went on for weeks, every vote from the Democrats would be for Hakeem Jeffries.  

If McCarthy falls the possibility of an appointment from outside the chambers seems like a more likely possibility than when it was talked about at the beginning of the session. It depends on the hard liners. If they capitulate and vote for a moderated GOP leader, then that's that. But if they won't things get interesting. While you never know, I think we are too close to the next election for the GOP to want to preside over another speaker election marathon.

52 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Wait a minute.

That’s a felony. 

Actually a misdemeanor in DC, there is the possibility of spending 6 months in the pokey 

https://code.dccouncil.gov/us/dc/council/code/sections/22-1319#:~:text=(a) read as follows%3A,punished by a fine not

It shall be unlawful for any person or persons to willfully or knowingly give a false alarm of fire within the District of Columbia, and any person or persons violating the provisions of this subsection shall, upon conviction, be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and be punished by a fine not more than the amount set forth in § 22-3571.01 or by imprisonment for not more than 6 months, or by both such fine and imprisonment. Prosecutions for violation of the provisions of this subsection shall be on information filed in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia by the Office of the Attorney General for the District of Columbia.

On 9/30/2023 at 8:51 PM, CMRivdogs said:

Actually a misdemeanor in DC, there is the possibility of spending 6 months in the pokey 

https://code.dccouncil.gov/us/dc/council/code/sections/22-1319#:~:text=(a) read as follows%3A,punished by a fine not

Obstruction of justice charge is a felony and hence why some are bringing up 1/6.  Just ridiculous, almost as ridiculous as the shutdown crap that led him to do it.

On 9/30/2023 at 7:51 PM, CMRivdogs said:

Regarding this, I think a lot of folks are going beyond the false alarm charge and saying that he meant to obstruct an official proceeding.

The former seems easy enough to prosecute, the latter would be pretty difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt IMO.

Overall, regarding the "whaddabout January 6th people" talking points, I would suggest that, like the January 6th people, I'm perfectly fine for Jamaal Bowman being investigated and prosecuted for whatever crime or crimes he may have committed.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Regarding this, I think a lot of folks are going beyond the false alarm charge and saying that he meant to obstruct an official proceeding.

The former seems easy enough to prosecute, the latter would be pretty difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt IMO.

Overall, regarding the "whaddabout January 6th people" talking points, I would suggest that, like the January 6th people, I'm perfectly fine for Jamaal Bowman being investigated and prosecuted for whatever crime or crimes he may have committed.

I haven't been paying attention to stuff much this weekend, I went to all 3 Tiger games, but this one confuses me.  He wanted to delay a vote on something he voted for?  People are saying the sign was confusing?  The alarm was in a different building?  Doesn't he know there's cameras everywhere?

Where I work out in the gym there's a fire alarm door that exits outside.  Right next to a door that goes upstair sto the track.  At least once a month, in the 6 hours I am in that gym, someone opens that door, despite it being bright red, with an awkard handle, and a huge sign.  

The alarm Bowman pulled was at Cannon House, not the Capitol, a fact conveniently being left out of the narrative by Republicans.  It's still stupid as hell to do, even more so if you believe Bowman's explanation that he did it thinking it would only open the doors he wanted to use.  While I'm pretty sure almost everyone knows what a fire alarm does, I'm absolutely positive that a former school principal understands the concept.