The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

22 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Trump's wrong on most things, but he has much better instincts than the rest of his party on entitlements.

I think it’s because, unique to Republicans, Trump’s power comes from his fanatical base of voters and the power brokers have to kowtow to that, whereas for just about every other Republican, their power comes from wealthy and corporate benefactors, and voters are ignored except at election time.

Edited by chasfh

On 12/29/2022 at 8:51 AM, chasfh said:

How’s this—George Santos is a Democrat plant who made it through because he was provided forged paperwork by the DCC Black Ops team so he could pass strict bureaucratic scrutiny, and then the election in NY-3 was rigged by Dominion and Hugo Chavez so Santos would win and then get exposed as a buffoon by the mainstream media—all with the goal of making the Republican Party look bad. 

Who’s got that on their Aisle Lunatic bingo card?

This is like the Lab Leak theory.  Sounds ridiculous at first, but then more info comes out....   So now it looks like Santos loved to dress in drag.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/01/24/republican-debt-ceiling-hostage-budget/

Really smart piece.

For obvious reasons, both political and practical, SS, Medicare and Defense spending are all off the table. So the GOP plan appears to be to balance the budget while cutting taxes through "cutting wokism" or some ****.

This is all kabuki theater, and a really dangerous version at that.

Hawley introduces Pelosi Act banning lawmakers from trading stocks - The Hill

Hawley on Tuesday introduced the Pelosi Act — or the Preventing Elected Leaders from Owning Securities and Investments Act — renewing a legislative push to curtail stock trading by lawmakers that has failed over the last few years.

Too funny, but probably won't go anywhere. 

1 hour ago, smr-nj said:

Unfortunately, yes, I can imagine MTG on the ticket, and people voting for it.

I believe that ticket would garner a lot, a LOT less than the 45% TFG got in 2020. I'm thinking in the 24-30% range. Maybe less than that.

That is such a "Jackass Ticket" that everyone would easily recognize it as such and even Republicans would run for the hills. 

Except for the MAGA hard-core that is... And even they would start peeling off at the sight of that ticket. Worse than McCain-Palin by a long, long shot.

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

I believe that ticket would garner a lot, a LOT less than the 45% TFG got in 2020. I'm thinking in the 24-30% range. Maybe less than that.

That is such a "Jackass Ticket" that everyone would easily recognize it as such and even Republicans would run for the hills. 

Except for the MAGA hard-core that is... And even they would start peeling off at the sight of that ticket. Worse than McCain-Palin by a long, long shot.

24-30 is too low... although I tend to agree that a ticket with MTG on it probably ends up closer to 40 than 45.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but is Chip saying that it's a-OK to throw at his head next Congress if the D's win the chamber back?

That’s exactly what it is. The GOP is the party of revenge and grievances and want nothing at all to do with governing. The Democrats need to play ball if that’s what Chip wants. 

Setting aside the fact that votes McCarthy has voted in favor over the years account for a sizable chunk of the debt, in terms of the metaphor, is it really common for teenagers to get credit cards these days?

Just sounds like bad parenting to me, although it's more informed by growing up in the mid 2000s 

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

Setting aside the fact that votes McCarthy has voted in favor over the years account for a sizable chunk of the debt, in terms of the metaphor, is it really common for teenagers to get credit cards these days?

Just sounds like bad parenting to me, although it's more informed by growing up in the mid 2000s 

My kids have CC that we control. My 14 year old gets $20 a week allowance. Half goes into his spending account and half goes in a savings account that he can't use on his own. He picks up dog poop for 4-5 neighbors and the money is handled the same way. We let him take loans out against his savings but it is repaid with future deposits and has a feature on the card were you can charge interest on the loan that goes directly back to his saving account. We have it it set at 39% so he is very careful about asking for a loan out of savings. What better way is there to teach a young teen about the dangers of CC's? I have convinced a number of our friends to use this with there teens.

• Thanks 1