Week Eleven: Detroit Lions (3-6) @ New York Giants (7-2)

MichiganCardinal

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Ok liar.

What does that even mean?

The Giants did turn the corner, are still in line for playoffs and we are still below .500 despite today's win. Or do you think a head to head win means the rebuilds are going the same?

Your homerism and blindness to just defend them at all cost know no bounds.

Watching the Cowboys/Vikings game right now and I know it seems like odd ref blunders only happen to the Lions and they never happen to teams like Packers or Cowboys I can say that isn't 100% literal cause they had a weird ending to the 1st half.

Cowboys kick a 60 yard FG that presumably ends the half only during their celebration do the refs say that it doesn't count cause they need to replay the catch the play before. Ultimately the catch was upheld and the kicker had to kick the FG again and he nailed it again. Essentially made two 60 yard FGs in 2 minutes.  I've seen some plays start off only to get stopped to replay the last play but I don't recall ever seeing a time called for replay after a FG had already been made. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 minute ago, KL2 said:

The Giants did turn the corner, are still in line for playoffs and we are still below .500 despite today's win. Or do you think a head to head win means the rebuilds are going the same?

It was satire.

I don't defend them at all costs. You, however, continue to lie repeatedly about what I say so just fuck off.

I know one team is 4-6 and the other is 7-3 but I refuse to believe that the Giants are a better bet going forward than the Lions. In the volatile flukey nature of the NFL all it takes is a few breaks to drastically change your teams record and the Giants have benefited more than the vast majority of teams by breaks and that doesn't even bring up their soft schedule thus far. 

On 11/19/2022 at 5:33 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

No one sans, Hutch, Rodrigo, Okudah, and an injured Tracy Walker looked all that impressive on our defense. When the offense looked bad as a unit, Lynn paid the price for it, not a position coach. When the defense looked bad as a unit, Pleasant, a position coach, paid the price for it, instead of Aaron Glenn. I just can't help but think that was scapegoating in order to protect Campbell from having to fire yet another coordinator. If the argument is that Aaron Glenn doesn't have the raw talent yet to work with on defense, don't Pleasant and all of the position coaches deserve the same leeway?

The thing is that not all situations are the same.  Campbell obviously though Lynn wasn't doing a good job with the assets he had and felt he could do better.  It's possible that Campbell thinks AG is doing the best he can with limited assets.  It could be that Campbell is telling AG that he's got to improve massively or he's gone after 2022 and that he's not "firing" AG like he did with Lynn because he (Campbell) doesn't feel comfortable calling the defense and figures they'd be worse so AG is just the best option right now.  

There's too many variables, imho, to say: Offense is bad, OC fired; therefore if Defense is bad, DC should be fired.  There's too many other things that come into play so say if A happened and B didn't happen that it's hypocritical.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 3:29 PM, RedRamage said:

I don't know that the Lions are necessarily bad against the run.  Now, they aren't great, but I don't know that they are bad against standard running teams.  Now, if the QB is a good running QB, then the Lions have serious problems.  But outside of that they are just on the bad side but not horrendously bad.

Not to toot my own horn too much but...

image.png.8217f89540fdd27158beed62974abc51.png

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I know one team is 4-6 and the other is 7-3 but I refuse to believe that the Giants are a better bet going forward than the Lions. In the volatile flukey nature of the NFL all it takes is a few breaks to drastically change your teams record and the Giants have benefited more than the vast majority of teams by breaks and that doesn't even bring up their soft schedule thus far. 

Giants have two games against the Eagles and two against the resurgent Commanders. They also have games against the Vikings and Cowboys and against the Colts who are no gimme.

Cowboys currently boat racing the Vikings in Minny 29-3, that Minnesota team isn't that good, they are better than the Lions but like the Giants they aren't nearly as good as their record.  They're currently 8-1 when in reality I think their true talent level is more of a 6-3 or even 5-4 type of team. 

7 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I think some of it has to do with the fact that Dan Campbell made some very baffling decisions in a couple of games that absolutely hurt his team and Daboll has been more conservative.       Notice that Campbell has taken his foot off the gas during this streak and hasn't been gambling as much.   The Minnesota and Miami games should have been wins.  Gambled too much and at the wrong time in both games.   This team should be 6-4 right now, right in the thick of the playoff chase.  Maybe there was a Come To Jesus meeting at some point.  

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Cowboys currently boat racing the Vikings in Minny 29-3, that Minnesota team isn't that good, they are better than the Lions but like the Giants they aren't nearly as good as their record.  They're currently 8-1 when in reality I think their true talent level is more of a 6-3 or even 5-4 type of team. 

I think they are beatable at home for the Lions. At the risk of "homerism and blindness to just defend them at all cost know no bounds," I don't think it's impossible for the Lions to beat the Vikings and get to 9 wins. Carolina, Jacksonville and Chicago are bad, the Jets are cratering back to earth, so that would mean picking up a win against Minnesota, Green Bay or Buffalo. I would say Minnesota is the most winnable of that three.

2 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

No more swift. No more. He is so slow out there. 

I don't think he really is that slow, I think he's just over thinking things too much.  Instead of just reacting and going, he's constantly trying to find the homerun, and that means he strikes out way too much.  Singles and Doubles aren't as sexy as the HR, but put enough of them together and they'll get the job done just as much as a HR, with a lot fewer strike outs.

7 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I don't think he really is that slow, I think he's just over thinking things too much.  Instead of just reacting and going, he's constantly trying to find the homerun, and that means he strikes out way too much.  Singles and Doubles aren't as sexy as the HR, but put enough of them together and they'll get the job done just as much as a HR, with a lot fewer strike outs.

i think swift is looking to avoid contact and not get hit, that's his current problem.  his overarching problem is that he gets hurt all the time.

34 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

The thing is that not all situations are the same.  Campbell obviously though Lynn wasn't doing a good job with the assets he had and felt he could do better.  It's possible that Campbell thinks AG is doing the best he can with limited assets.  It could be that Campbell is telling AG that he's got to improve massively or he's gone after 2022 and that he's not "firing" AG like he did with Lynn because he (Campbell) doesn't feel comfortable calling the defense and figures they'd be worse so AG is just the best option right now.  

There's too many variables, imho, to say: Offense is bad, OC fired; therefore if Defense is bad, DC should be fired.  There's too many other things that come into play so say if A happened and B didn't happen that it's hypocritical.

campbell fires lynn and the offense gets better.

campbell fires pleasant and the defense gets better.

its possible that dan campbell knows football and knows what is or isnt working with his team much better than a bunch of us morons on a sports message board.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Yeah, I have to agree. While the Lions are playing good, there's no excusing, explaining or defending their history. As a product, the Lions would have been out of business years ago. But success doesn't matter in the NFL. The Lions still made money, stinking up the league.

Other than those three sacks against Washington, Hutchinson got off to a slow start.  Sacks can be flukey and he was not having that much impact on the game.  Two things have turned around his season.  The Lions are using him more like Michigan used him as a stand up edge rusher.  And he is not just trying to sack the quarterback every play.  You see him containing the zone read, spying the quarterback (if we are facing a mobile quarterback), and dropping into coverage at different times.  It's definitely helped the defense improve.  

He did get burned on at least one qb zone read today but it happens to every edge player occasionally.  And Daniel Jones runs it very well.  

Edited by Hart
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hart said:

Other than those three sacks against Washington, Hutchinson got off to a slow start.  Sacks can be flukey and he was not having that much impact on the game.  Two things have turned around his season.  The Lions are using him more like Michigan used him as a stand up edge rusher.  And he is not just trying to sack the quarterback every play.  You see him containing the zone read, spying the quarterback (if we are facing a mobile quarterback), and dropping into coverage at different times.  It's definitely helped the defense improve.  

He did get burned on at least one qb zone read today but it happens to every edge player occasionally.  And Daniel Jones runs it very well.  

It was amazing how well the Lions stopped Barkley. Good job by the coaching to concentrate on him. But it did allow Jones to have several meaningful runs.

They just showed the standings on the Steelers/Browns game and the lead announcer was like "how about those Detroit Lions winning 3 straight?" and the analyst chimed in with "They're a team better than their record and are playing well now, looking at their schedule and I can easily see them running the table." Yeah I think that's quite a bit hyperbolic but it's good to see that not just Lions fans see the team and schedule and think that they could make some noise the rest of the way.

My favorite 2 plays today...Giant center doesn't snap the ball and the entire OL jumped. The official had his pick of players to call it on but picked out one player. Picking on him...lol

The other play that was funny was late in the game with a huge lead. The Lions dropped every single player in coverage, not rushing anyone. The Giants OL was standing around looking for someone to block..lol