Week Eleven: Detroit Lions (3-6) @ New York Giants (7-2)

MichiganCardinal

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

They just showed the standings on the Steelers/Browns game and the lead announcer was like "how about those Detroit Lions winning 3 straight?" and the analyst chimed in with "They're a team better than their record and are playing well now, looking at their schedule and I can easily see them running the table." Yeah I think that's quite a bit hyperbolic but it's good to see that not just Lions fans see the team and schedule and think that they could make some noise the rest of the way.

Buffalo is a big test... if they were to somehow beat them, though, they do have room for a soft landing with the stretch of games after it.

At 4-6 though, it's hard to see them threading that needle... it's theoretically possible, but there isn't much margin for error.

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

Buffalo is a big test... if they were to somehow beat them, though, they do have room for a soft landing with the stretch of games after it.

At 4-6 though, it's hard to see them threading that needle... it's theoretically possible, but there isn't much margin for error.

I can easily see 8 wins which very well could be enough in the NFC.

34 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Giants, with a 7-3 record, are only +1 in point differential. This is a team that won some games they shouldn't have and now have a tough schedule ahead. I think this game may have been the game the Giants came back to earth.

Looking past the Lions to the Dallas game on a short week. Big mistake.

14 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Hockenson was the Vikings leading receiver with 5 catches and 34 yards in their 40-3 loss.

I watched the highlights of his chances in the game against Buffalo last week and watched a bit of this game.  He's not right.  I think the Lions finally got rid of someone who needed getting rid of.

Well, that was certainly a nice win I'd say.

Kind of like buddha in Bears Country, I'm here in Giants/Jets land and was surrounded by Giants fans today so it was nice to stick it to them after today. 

I don't want to get too excited because...Lions but you just get the feel of a team that is about to turn a corner. Of course it could all blow up this week if the Bills manhandle them but you can see the confidence growing with the young guys and there's plenty of good talent on IR that will help out in the coming weeks/next season so I think some cautious optimism is there to be had which is a major upgrade from the apathy of felt for this organization for way too long.

Also, that Rams bean continues to become more magical so... good day indeed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

The heck with high draft choices, I wanna see more wins. Maybe the Rams pick will be higher than our pick? Lol

Yep, that's what I've been saying for a couple of weeks. Lets root for Lions win and for this group to build a winning culture and just root for the Rams to continue to lose to get that high draft pick. I'm done with rooting for losses and the tank unless it was the last game of the season and big draft position was at stake.

36 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Well, that was certainly a nice win I'd say.

Kind of like buddha in Bears Country, I'm here in Giants/Jets land and was surrounded by Giants fans today so it was nice to stick it to them after today. 

I don't want to get too excited because...Lions but you just get the feel of a team that is about to turn a corner. Of course it could all blow up this week if the Bills manhandle them but you can see the confidence growing with the young guys and there's plenty of good talent on IR that will help out in the coming weeks/next season so I think some cautious optimism is there to be had which is a major upgrade from the apathy of felt for this organization for way too long.

Also, that Rams bean continues to become more magical so... good day indeed.

For me there is no particular game that is critical at this point. You could stencil in a loss to the Bills and the rest of the schedule still has enough potential wins for a team that can play moderately well to make for a very successful segment of the rebuild.

Edited by gehringer_2

30 minutes ago, buddha said:

minny is 8-2 with a negative point differential.  the giants are 7-3 with a +1 point differential.

methinks those teams are more lucky than good.

We need to move that Minnesota game to 8pm.   We'll just have a little power outage like the Orioles did when Cal Ripken Jr. was late for a game during the streak.    You take Cousins out of the 1pm slot, and it's a Lions win !

1 hour ago, buddha said:

minny is 8-2 with a negative point differential.  the giants are 7-3 with a +1 point differential.

methinks those teams are more lucky than good.

Jets too. All teams that have been scraping by and got exposed a bit today.

This is what I said earlier this week in this thread. The Lions might have been 3-6 and the Giants 7-2 but I feel there was very little separating these teams so while I didn't think the Lions would win today especially as convincingly as they did, I thought it was pretty much a coin flip. The margins are razor thin in this league. There's a few elite teams and a few really bad teams but about 18-20 teams are pretty evenly matched and the Lions are in that group. Even Minnesota I don't think is much better than the Lions despite what the record states.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

For me there is no particular game that is critical at this point. You could stencil in a loss to the Bills and the rest of the schedule still has enough potential wins for a team that can play moderately well to make for a very successful segment of the rebuild.

Oh I agree. I think the Lions are in house money territory now that they topped last years' win total. Of course losing out would be brutal but I think the Lions have shown enough at this point in the season to be confident that this is a team headed in the right direction. Unless it completely goes off the rails in the last 7 games, I think there should be some good vibes going into the offseason even if they only end up with 6-7 wins or so.

13 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

It was amazing how well the Lions stopped Barkley. Good job by the coaching to concentrate on him. But it did allow Jones to have several meaningful runs.

And for those who are Daboll fans, I think it's worth noting here that he failed to plan appropriately or adjust to what the Lions where doing. 

13 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

They just showed the standings on the Steelers/Browns game and the lead announcer was like "how about those Detroit Lions winning 3 straight?" and the analyst chimed in with "They're a team better than their record and are playing well now, looking at their schedule and I can easily see them running the table." Yeah I think that's quite a bit hyperbolic but it's good to see that not just Lions fans see the team and schedule and think that they could make some noise the rest of the way.

Rest of the schedule:
Bills (7-3) - Bills are the better team... never say never but I'm going to assume a loss.
Jaguars (3-7) - Lions should win at home.
Vikings (8-2) - It'll be interesting. Can the Lions redeem themselves? I'm going to be pessimistic and same no.
@ Jets (6-4) - I think the Lions can win this one.
@ Panthers (3-8) - Lions should be able to win.
Bears (3-8) - I'll be very disappointed if the Lions don't win.

@ Packers (4-7) - Why does it seem like we always play @ GB at the end of the year? Loss.

4-3 the rest of the year is very realistic and of the three losses really only the Bills game is one where I'd feel like we pulled a massive upset.

Obviously anything can happen and injuries can effect stuff.  Should at least be an entertaining end to the season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1