Week Eleven: Detroit Lions (3-6) @ New York Giants (7-2)

MichiganCardinal

2 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

I was hoping Williams would come back for the Thanksgiving day game. Would have added an extra element of excitement.

I think Williams will be a star, I just hope Goff has the arm to fully utilize him.

I don't think you need to chuck it 40 yards to fully utilize Williams. Williams should be devastating on those play action crosses that the Lions are so good at running. I do think Goff has the arm if Williams can take the top off the defense. The Lions really don't have that player right now. 

52 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

I was hoping Williams would come back for the Thanksgiving day game. Would have added an extra element of excitement.

I think Williams will be a star, I just hope Goff has the arm to fully utilize him.

Goff probably doesn’t have the accuracy to consistently utilize the deep ball.  I think Jaymo can be effective for this offense without even getting the ball.  His speed, even as a decoy,  forces a deep safety account for him opens up more of the middle of the field for our slot WR’s.    Need to get him some game action before the season is over. 

7 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I was PLEASANTLY surprised at how well they did containing Barkley. I really thought we were in for a 100+ yard, multi TD game from him and our Dline stood up to the test and shut him out. 

This is something we have not figured out all year but BAM! It looked like Hutch was the spy most times and got him that interception. I think we have turned a major corner.

10 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Alim McNeil is not being talked about enough. I'm not sure I have seen an interior DLine play like that since Suh.

Also Derrick Barnes is quietly getting better.

I think the reason McNeil isn't being celebrated more is that we're all kinda wondering if this is a one-hit wonder game for him or if he'll start to consistently be a force.

37 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Alim McNeil is not being talked about enough. I'm not sure I have seen an interior DLine play like that since Suh.

Also Derrick Barnes is quietly getting better.

I mentioned it during the game but I hadn't seen as dominant game from a Lions interior dlineman since prime Suh. Seemed like he was in the backfield every play. 

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Goff probably doesn’t have the accuracy to consistently utilize the deep ball.  I think Jaymo can be effective for this offense without even getting the ball.  His speed, even as a decoy,  forces a deep safety account for him opens up more of the middle of the field for our slot WR’s.    Need to get him some game action before the season is over. 

I watched a lot of Jamo at Alabama. He's much more than just a deep threat. He's like Tyreek Hill where he's always a threat to take a short crossing route a long way, he also catches the ball in traffic and addition to having the ability to stretch the field. 

Edit: I see that bombers posted a video of exactly what I was talking about.

Also of note about Jamo's impact. Alabama offense struggled mightily against Auburn last season after he went down early in the game and in the National Champioship without Jamo after destroying Georgia's defense with Jamo in the SEC Championship. He's a major impact player and will transform this offense to a different level once he gets his footing at this level, which might be next season but when he does, he's going to be a massive addition.

Edited by NYLion

4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I don't think you need to chuck it 40 yards to fully utilize Williams. Williams should be devastating on those play action crosses that the Lions are so good at running. I do think Goff has the arm if Williams can take the top off the defense. The Lions really don't have that player right now. 

Yes, Goff is pretty accurate on shorter passes. Just get the ball in Williams arms and watch him go go. 😁

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

I think the reason McNeil isn't being celebrated more is that we're all kinda wondering if this is a one-hit wonder game for him or if he'll start to consistently be a force.

That's where I am at with him. He never had more than two tackles in any game prior to this and look average against the run. He had a solid game and I hope this is one of many to come. It would allow us to address other needs on defense if McNeill is a real interior presence on this line.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stanley70 said:

This seems to be a common opinion, but I think Williams's ability to turn a 5-20 yard target into an 80-yard reception is more important than his ability to catch bombs, because he's going to see far more of the former than the latter irrespective of who's throwing him the ball. If he can get open, Goff can get him the ball.

• Like 1