Week Twelve: Buffalo Bills (7-3) @ Detroit Lions (4-6)

MichiganCardinal

Don't agree with that 3rd and 1 throw but hey if it was completed everybody would be jumping for joy but otherwise I don't know how anybody could say they were outcoached. Buffalo is one of the 2 most talented teams in football and we're in the bottom half if not bottom third and were starting backups at several key positions yet still hung in there to the end.  That doesn't happen if you were out coached during the game. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Don't agree with that 3rd and 1 throw but hey if it was completed everybody would be jumping for joy but otherwise I don't know how anybody could say they were outcoached. Buffalo is one of the 2 most talented teams in football and we're in the bottom half if not bottom third and were starting backups at several key positions yet still hung in there to the end.  That doesn't happen if you were out coached during the game. 

The biggest mistake I saw was not taking advantage of 32 seconds being put back on the clock. On a 3rd and 1, you have to go to something more high percentage and try to get it. 

In general, I didn't mind that they let a lot of time off the clock, but a low percentage throw on 3rd and 1 is not a good strategy imo. 

Edited by mtutiger

Just now, mtutiger said:

The biggest mistake I saw was not taking advantage of 32 seconds being put back on the clock. On a 3rd and 1, you have to go to something more high percentage and try to get it. 

In general, I didn't mind that they let a lot of time off the clock, but a low percentage throw one 3rd and 1 is not a good strategy imo

I agree, that was my main gripe but for all we know that could've been on the QB, Goff may have saw single coverage at the line and decided to try to go for the kill. 

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I agree, that was my main gripe but for all we know that could've been on the QB, Goff may have saw single coverage at the line and decided to try to go for the kill. 

Very possible... 

As far as the clock management is concerned, 32 seconds with 32 yards to go was actually a good place to be in. Maybe it looks conservative, but when you play a Buffalo, you have to burn as much clock as possible. As they proved in that final drive, if you give them any time at all, they will put it to use.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

That game was there to be had and boy did they botch that final drive. Clock management was questionable then they refuse to run or throw a short pass on 3rd and 1 and I would have gone for it on 4th down. Playing conservative against the Bills is usually a losing strategy. I hope this doesn't start a spiral downward similar to when they blew the Vikings game.

7 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

They played for OT. It’s the exact right take. 

I usually don't agree with you but you're right in this case. You play to win these types of games against elite teams, not simply not to lose. They played aggressive the entire game then wussed out on the last drive, I just didn't understand that at all.

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

So if they were in FG range and played for the win and turned it over you wouldn't have came on here and bitched about how stupid they were for not taking a FG and going to OT at home? 

if they won by three touchdowns he would bitch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Being conservative now is throwing deep on 3rd and 1.

Conservative is bleeding a ton of clock, they were clearly playing for the FG, and then not going for it on 4th down and short. I knew right there and then that Allen would take them down the field and kick the game winning FG.

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

I still don't think the clock management was bad it was just that 3rd down decision. We had our timeouts so time was never going to be factor, if we sneak it and pick up that 1st down we would've been in perfect position time wise. 

It was poor. They left no choice but to play for the field goal at the end with only 30 seconds left and still not over the 30 yard line. It made going for a TD a lot more difficult even if they converted the 3rd down.

Just now, NYLion said:

It was poor. They left no choice but to play for the field goal at the end with only 30 seconds left and still not over the 30 yard line. It made going for a TD a lot more difficult even if they converted the 3rd down.

30 seconds and 2 timeouts is plenty of time, in fact I dare say that is the perfect time if you want to score and leave no time on the clock. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYLion said:

Conservative is bleeding a ton of clock, they were clearly playing for the FG, and then not going for it on 4th down and short. I knew right there and then that Allen would take them down the field and kick the game winning FG.

If they scored a TD without bleeding the clock, there would be bitching about click mangement. They were about 30 yards from the end zone with all their timeouts. They were playing it perfectly but didn't convert on 3rd down.

• Like 1