Week Twelve: Buffalo Bills (7-3) @ Detroit Lions (4-6)

MichiganCardinal

1 minute ago, buddha said:

wait, people wanted them to go for it on 4th and 1?  why?  to make it a closer field goal?

the bad call was 3rd and 1 when they were too aggressive.  

Probably about 25 seconds left and 2 timeouts. Of course it would have made scoring a TD tougher because they bled too much clock prior to that but by kicking a FG, you're giving the ball back to Allen with too much time left. I think a higher percentage play would have been to have some shots at the end zone then kicking a shorter FG as opposed to giving Allen another shot.

9 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Agree that the 3rd and 1 play was a disaster. They needed the first down and to milk the clock. 

But imagine this team next year with Jaymo, two firsts, and two seconds. 

That's what give me hope, huge hope. Just wait til next year. Yeah, we've been saying that for decades but this time we REALLY mean it. 😁😁

22 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Don't agree with that 3rd and 1 throw but hey if it was completed everybody would be jumping for joy but otherwise I don't know how anybody could say they were outcoached. Buffalo is one of the 2 most talented teams in football and we're in the bottom half if not bottom third and were starting backups at several key positions yet still hung in there to the end.  That doesn't happen if you were out coached during the game. 

Coached well for 58 minutes.......Crapped the bed the last 2. 

Just now, NYLion said:

Probably about 25 seconds left and 2 timeouts. Of course it would have made scoring a TD tougher because they bled too much clock prior to that but by kicking a FG, you're giving the ball back to Allen with too much time left. I think a higher percentage play would have been to have some shots at the end zone then kicking a shorter FG as opposed to giving Allen another shot.

the percentage play was to sneak the ball for a first down on 3rd and 1 rather than throw a fade down the sidelines to a covered receiver.

i remember grbac to howard as fondly as the next guy, but goff to reynolds just doesnt have the same chances for success.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

If they scored a TD without bleeding the clock, there would be bitching about click mangement. They were about 30 yards from the end zone with all their timeouts. They were playing it perfectly but didn't convert on 3rd down.

As I said before, if they had like 50 seconds left and 2 timeouts, that opens up the playbook and at worst, you're giving Allen something like 30 seconds or so left if you score in the next 3-4 plays and needing to go the length of the field, or kick a shorter field goal and give him no time left. That drive played out as poorly as possible, outside of a turnover or missing the FG.

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

But it also brings up the possibility of scoring "too early".

Not really unless they throw a 30 yard TD pass on the next play which was exceedingly unlikely. Chances are that it would have taken at least several plays to get into the end zone which would have bled a lot of the remaining clock.

Edited by NYLion

Just now, buddha said:

the percentage play was to sneak the ball for a first down on 3rd and 1 rather than throw a fade down the sidelines to a covered receiver.

i remember grbac to howard as fondly as the next guy, but goff to reynolds just doesnt have the same chances for success.

Buffalo was stacking the line and you have backup guards. I doubt a QB sneak works. We also assume the playcall was a deep pass. That may have just been the read by Goff and there were likely shorter routes.

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

You let the clock roll if you are going for a tie............but then they called a time out with 30 seconds left.      If they were going for the tie all along they should have let it run down and made Buffalo call a timeout.     Criminal clock management. 

But they weren't going for the tie all along.

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

we all expected this to be a loss and they lost.  

if they lose to jacksonville next week that will be the epitome of "same ol lions."

I guess that's my feeling... I expected this to be a loss... I was worried it would be a blow out (especially with Okudah out).  I'm not happy with the loss... they had a chance to win this one.  But I didn't expect it.

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

Is anyone starting to rethink our need for a QB? 

no.  even if you like goff, you could use a younger qb to groom for the position.

this is a qb league and goff is an average to below average one.  they could use an upgrade at the position.

now, becsuse theyre the lions, they could use an upgrade at A TON of other positions too...

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Buffalo was stacking the line and you have backup guards. I doubt a QB sneak works. We also assume the playcall was a deep pass. That may have just been the read by Goff and there were likely shorter routes.

it worked earlier in the game.

3 minutes ago, NYLion said:

It sure seemed like it with all the time they were bleeding off the clock although that 3rd and 1 call was aggressive.

They had three time outs. They didn’t want to give the ball back after scoring. The problem was taking a shot on 3rd and 1 to a receiver who has missed most of the season and who was not in sync with the QB. 

Another thing to consider in regards to that 3rd down throw, if it was on Goff and he made that choice I wonder if A. he thought it may have been 2nd down or B. assumed they would be going for it on 4th so he thought it was worth taking a shot before presumably sneaking it for the 1st on the next play.