Week Eighteen: Detroit Lions (8-8) @ Green Bay Packers (8-8)

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Cleanup on Aisle Lunatic: NFL Edition

What a piece of shit. A young man is potentially battling for his life and you make a statement like this? You cancel the damn game because another human beings life is on the line and worry about anything else, playoff position or otherwise, later on.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

23 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

What a piece of shit. A young man is potentially battling for his life and you make a statement like this? You cancel the damn game because another human beings life is on the line and worry about anything else, playoff position or otherwise, later on.

I love sports, but at the end of the day, it's entertainment. When it comes to a life and death situation with a player needing 10 minutes of CPR, entertainment comes second and life comes first.

I know Skip plays a character on TV and all, but that should be a line too far for his bosses at Fox.

Edited by mtutiger
Skip works for Fox, not ESPN

Skip is a douche who shouldn’t be on television. That tweet though? He said the quiet part out loud. Not justifying it at all, but I guarantee you those are precisely the thoughts that were running through the minds of NFL execs after this happened.

The sense I am getting from Twitter is that the NFL wanted to play - or at least wait and see - and the Bills told them they could shove their game up Roger Goodell’s ass. Good for them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Skip is a douche who shouldn’t be on television. That tweet though? He said the quiet part out loud. Not justifying it at all, but I guarantee you those are precisely the thoughts that were running through the minds of NFL execs after this happened.

The sense I am getting from Twitter is that the NFL wanted to play - or at least wait and see - and the Bills told them they could shove their game up Roger Goodell’s ass. Good for them.

Credit to Zac Taylor for crossing the field and conferring with McDermott as well.

Neither team wanted to resume, nor should they have. It was a traumatic event for everyone there. To a degree, it was to everyone watching in the stands and at home as well 

39 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The remainder of the Red Wings game was cancelled when Jiri Fischer collapsed if I remember correctly was it not?

Yes, they replayed it at another date and started with Nashville maintaining their 1-0 lead. 

Fuck the standings, Skip,  you fucking ghoul.   Two teams will just have one fewer game -- or they can finish it tomorrow if the young man survives.    I don't think the Bills, Bengals or Chiefs really give a shit about that right now. 

Blow to the chest just at the precise time in the cardiac cycle. 

And John Stockton, before you even go there - shut the fuck up, it was a blow to the chest, like the boy that died from a line drive in the little league game,  the boy didn't have trained emergency staff to help him but Hamlin did, so hopefully those seconds made a difference.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

19 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I’ve never seen anything more horrifying than soccer player Christian Eriksen collapsing on the field at Euro 2021.   He was able to make to a full recovery after needing CPR on the field.    Hopes and prayers the same is true for Damar Hamlin.  

Dale Earnhardt is the only thing I remember seeing that reminded me of this, although is didn't follow Euro 2021 too closely...

Didn't look that bad, but to this day still remember Darrell Waltrip ominously saying that he hoped Dale was OK.

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Dale Earnhardt is the only thing I remember seeing that reminded me of this, although is didn't follow Euro 2021 too closely...

Didn't look that bad, but to this day still remember Darrell Waltrip ominously saying that he hoped Dale was OK.

The fact that he had trained medical experts there, less than 15 seconds after he collapsed, will probably save his life.  I hope so.  It saved Reggie Brown's.  

Dale Earnhardt was part of a sport where every single lap death is a possibility and was he so aggressive with his car.  He didn't deserve to die, but he flirted with danger all the time, not just the standard driving but the "rubbing".....rubbing at 200 mph is insane.    Hamlin plays a violent game where guys are bigger and faster than ever and it was just a freak hit.    Jiri Fischer will be the one that always gets me, because his could have happened if he was driving or sitting at home and he's lucky his happened where it did.  

I don't know what you do if you are the NFL but we have seen several incidents this year in prime time games.   There was nothing dirty about the play.  It was routine, it was just freak timing.    People aren't supposed to do this kind of thing to their bodies, like crash test dummies out there sometimes, and that's even when the game is played cleanly.  

19 minutes ago, TJ Rollercoaster said:

Expanding on what MCS said

Not a Doctor but it sounds like what I feared initially when I first saw the play. I couldn't remember the medical term I just remember the pro wrestler Jerry Lawler talking about it happening to him like 10 years ago. It didn't happen right away like it did with Hamlin here but Lawler ended up collapsing at the announce desk some 15-20 minutes after his match. The Doctors said that it was likely due to the impact on his chest during the match disrupting his heart beat, so when I saw this play that incident was the first thing that came to my mind.

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not a Doctor but it sounds like what I feared initially when I first saw the play. I couldn't remember the medical term I just remember the pro wrestler Jerry Lawler talking about it happening to him like 10 years ago. It didn't happen right away like it did with Hamlin here but Lawler ended up collapsing at the announce desk some 15-20 minutes after his match. The Doctors said that it was likely due to the impact on his chest during the match disrupting his heart beat, so when I saw this play that incident was the first thing that came to my mind.

As a pro wrestling fan I remember when this happened on WWE Monday Night Raw. All of a sudden Lawler passed out and was gone from the broadcast. Michael Cole, the other announcer, was suddenly alone announcing what happened to Lawler. WWE continued their show, as they shamefully did when Owen Hart fell to his death at a PPV event. Lawler didn't die but his situation as extremely serious.

14 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Jerry saw it too

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Heart's in the middle of a rhythm something disrupts it (Commotio Codis = Commotion of The Heart) and it starts trying to find it's rhythm again and seizes up, like a gear coming loose in a machine and grinding it to a stop.  It could happen to anyone if you are struck in the chest.   Surprise this does not happen more often in football, actually.      

This happened, do a much lesser degree, to Chris Pronger in a game against the Wings when he blocked a shot with his chest and he collapsed to the ice a couple seconds late, but he never passed out and his heart never stopped but it was beating erratically for quite some time. Scared the hell out of him, let getting the wind knocked out of you.   Temporary injury but it is scary as hell.  

42 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Heart's in the middle of a rhythm something disrupts it (Commotio Codis = Commotion of The Heart) and it starts trying to find it's rhythm again and seizes up, like a gear coming loose in a machine and grinding it to a stop.  It could happen to anyone if you are struck in the chest.   Surprise this does not happen more often in football, actually.      

This happened, do a much lesser degree, to Chris Pronger in a game against the Wings when he blocked a shot with his chest and he collapsed to the ice a couple seconds late, but he never passed out and his heart never stopped but it was beating erratically for quite some time. Scared the hell out of him, let getting the wind knocked out of you.   Temporary injury but it is scary as hell.  

The was some controversy more than 25yrs ago in youth baseball that the solid core "soft" safety baseballs might have more potential to induce commotio cordis than a standard baseball because the softer sphere could transfer more total energy to the chest instead of it being reflected off. After my kids stopped playing I lost track of where the debate went. We never moved off the 'safety' balls in our league, but I'm not sure if they didn't modify them from the original design in response to the concern.

Edited by gehringer_2