Week Eighteen: Detroit Lions (8-8) @ Green Bay Packers (8-8)

890454089_LionsLogo.png.2f4d77d8ad02132cc2e1cf3a9c2a7e1a.png          vs.          packers.png.76f3bc5bb0f4bf9b712ddb0fcddc3a60.png

Setting: 01/08/2023 TBD on FOX

Site: Lambeau Field in Green Bay, WI

Weather: 30° High, 23° Low, 19% chance of snow, 8mph Wind

Opening Spread: Packers -4

All-Time Series Record: Packers lead, 105-74-7

Last Meeting: 11/06/2022, Lions won 15-9

Green Bay Packers (8-8)

Head Coach: Matt LaFleur (4th Season: 47-18)

Projected Starting QB: Aaron Rodgers (18th Season: 147-74-1)

Last Week: 41-17 W v. Minnesota Vikings (12-4)

Playoff Situation: Win and they are in

16724087725810.thumb.jpeg.db96bd3e3f588991a2247a2b3ffb292a.jpeg

Your Detroit Lions (8-8)

Head Coach: Dan Campbell (2nd Season: 11-21-1)

Projected Starting QB: Jared Goff (7th Season: 53-45-1)

Last Week: 41-10 W v. Chicago Bears (3-13)

Playoff Situation: Win + Seattle Seahawks Loss (v. LA Rams), and they are in

1453648583.0.thumb.jpg.2d4f8ab25c78a8edc9fdc9e9254bd1c0.jpg

Elsewhere in the NFL

Saturday: Chiefs @ Raiders (4:30pm), Titans @ Jaguars (8:15pm)

Sunday (All Times TBD): Buccaneers @ Falcons, Patriots @ Bills, Vikings @ Bears, Ravens @ Bengals, Texans @ Colts, Jets @ Dolphins, Panthers @ Saints, Giants @ Eagles, Browns @ Steelers, Cowboys @ Commanders, Chargers @ Broncos, Rams @ Seahawks, Cardinals @ 49ers

Still wondering when this game will be played. I think the fair thing would be for our game to either go on first or at the very least be on at the same time as the Seahawks game.

Reason I say that is that if our game is on after if the Seahawks win than we'd be eliminated so theoretically the game would be easier for the Packers since we'd have nothing to play for. Of course I think that we would go balls to the wall regardless because that just how this team is but you never know how the players may respond after seeing their hopes get crushed. They may be just a little dejected which could be enough to give the Packers the advantage which wouldn't really be fair to the Seahawks.  

16 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Still wondering when this game will be played. I think the fair thing would be for our game to either go on first or at the very least be on at the same time as the Seahawks game.

Reason I say that is that if our game is on after if the Seahawks win than we'd be eliminated so theoretically the game would be easier for the Packers since we'd have nothing to play for. Of course I think that we would go balls to the wall regardless because that just how this team is but you never know how the players may respond after seeing their hopes get crushed. They may be just a little dejected which could be enough to give the Packers the advantage which wouldn't really be fair to the Seahawks.  

That’s logical, but I do think they would be motivated to spoil it for Aaron and the Packers.

i would be STUNNED if the seahawks lose at home to the rams.  the rams have nothing to play for, its on the road, and the seahawks are a better team right now with all the rams' injuries.

i give the rams a 10% chance to win at best.

knowing the lions' luck, seattle will losr and then the lions will lose to the packers, giving us no playoffs and a worse draft pick because...its the lions.

• Like 1

I brought it up in the week 17 thread but considering the Colts are playing the Texans there's a relatively good chance the Rams move up to 5 and possibly even up to 4 with a loss, if they win they're picking at 9 if none of the 3 six win teams win on Sunday. So going from potentially picking at 4 with a loss to 9 is a pretty big drop off so if the Rams do indeed pull the upset we better take advantage of it.

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

i would be STUNNED if the seahawks lose at home to the rams.  the rams have nothing to play for, its on the road, and the seahawks are a better team right now with all the rams' injuries.

knowing the lions' luck, seattle will losr and then the lions will lose to the packers, giving us no playoffs and a worse draft pick because...its the lions.

Seattle and the Lions both win. Lions can enjoy their first winning season since 2017  but they'll do it at home.

I really want the Lions to make the playoffs just cause I do think the NFC is pretty wide open and I could potentially see them making a run, particularly if they get to draw Minny in the 1st round. If it was a normal year and we were just going to go on the road and face a 2 seed that would likely kill us I wouldn't be as invested in making it but I don't think that is the case this year at all.  I think they'd be damn near 50/50 against Minny and probably 40% against a Brock Purdy led 49ers team so a relatively good chance for them to finally get that playoff win so we don't have to hear about that drought anymore. 

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't think the team's game plan will change in the slightest based on the results of the Seahawks game. I do think we will be slotted to SNF.

If the Bengals lose tonight the Bengals ravens game next week is for the afc north.

Another possible one to throw in.

3 hours ago, buddha said:

Baker Mayfield has something to play for. 

1 hour ago, number20 said:

Not sure about this GB game. I think the Lions are the better team, but they won't be playing at home in Goffistan this time. It's still Lambeau, and it’ll be a fired up Rodgers and a super fired up crowd

Goffistan…love it

20 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Not even sure it's the right outcome, but it seemed inevitable

If I was a Seahawks fan I’d be pissed, but I really don’t think the Lions knowing that they were or were not eliminated will have any impact on the game’s outcome. This isn’t a team that quit last year while 0-11-1, I don’t see them quitting at 8-8.

The only scenario where it might matter is in quirky situations surrounding a tie. If Seattle loses and the Lions/Packers goes to OT then Green Bay would need to win, but Detroit could play for a tie. OTOH, if LA and Seattle tied, then a tie in Green Bay would actually send Seattle (I believe).

Edited by MichiganCardinal

45 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

The league said SOL all 1pm games. We went out and earned our way to prime time. Regardless of outcome you tell me this after week 7…

the lions "earned" a primetime game by being the packers' opponent in a game the packers have to win to make the playoffs.  😉

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, buddha said:

the lions "earned" a primetime game by being the packers' opponent in a game the packers have to win to make the playoffs.  😉

I think the Lions have earned a prime time game by going 7-2 in the last 9 games.  However, this game got flexed because it will be playoff relevant regardless of how the other games finish.  

Regardless if the Lions make the playoffs or not I want to keep Rodgers out of the playoffs.

• Like 1

Since the Seahawks beat the Rams by 4 in week 13, the Rams actually have a better record than the Seahawks (2-2 vs. 1-3).

I wouldn’t count the Rams out. I wouldn’t say it’s likely either, but I think McVay and Mayfield would love to eliminate the Seahawks just as much as the Lions would like to eliminate the Packers if that’s how the cards lie. It should be a good game, the Rams won’t just lie down.

A really scary situation on Monday Night Football for Buffalo Bills Safety Damar Hamlin. They were administering CPR on the field to him. I haven't felt like this since I was a kid watching the Reggie Brown injury with the Lions. Prayers and strength for Damar Hamlin. 🙏

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad