Week Eighteen: Detroit Lions (8-8) @ Green Bay Packers (8-8)

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Don't forget how hard it is to win in Seattle. I don't see the Rams even keeping it close. A no-lose situation for the Lions...Rams lose, we get a better pick. Rams win and we get a playoff game after beating Green Bay.

I don't know that I'm the best person to respond to this, because I think the "12th Man" is just quality marketing that isn't really backed up in a ton of fact (any more than any good team's fanbase provides their team an advantage). Seattle is 4-4 at home this year and had lost three straight at home before their win against the rib-less Mike White last week. Their losses to the Falcons, Raiders, and Panthers have all come at home this year.

I think when Ford Field and US Bank Stadium are rocking they are both better home field advantage than Seattle, but don't get the same credit via ESPN. I'm sure a Seattle fan would be very offended by this assertion.

8 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't know that I'm the best person to respond to this, because I think the "12th Man" is just quality marketing that isn't really backed up in a ton of fact (any more than any good team's fanbase provides their team an advantage). Seattle is 4-4 at home this year and had lost three straight at home before their win against the rib-less Mike White last week. Their losses to the Falcons, Raiders, and Panthers have all come at home this year.

I think when Ford Field and US Bank Stadium are rocking they are both better home field advantage than Seattle, but don't get the same credit via ESPN. I'm sure a Seattle fan would be very offended by this assertion.

Every study I have seen of this says that home field advantage is the result of officiating. Last time I looked, home field advantage had been generally declining in baseball and football - almost certainly as the result of instant replay. It would probably disappear completely if more calls were reviewable, though I wouldn't want to see more delays just for that purpose. 

I tend to believe that this is a big reason that Major League Baseball has been so reluctant to use an automated strike zone -  home field advantage is good for ticket sales, and in baseball a computerized K zone would remove the last big factor contributing to it.

Edited by gehringer_2

25 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Every study I have seen of this says that home field advantage is the result of officiating. Last time I looked, home field advantage had been generally declining in baseball and football - almost certainly as the result of instant replay. It would probably disappear completely if more calls were reviewable, though I wouldn't want to see more delays just for that purpose. 

I tend to believe that this is a big reason that Major League Baseball has been so reluctant to use an automated strike zone -  home field advantage is good for ticket sales, and in baseball a computerized K zone would remove the last big factor contributing to it.

Officiating is a piece. So is "friendly confines", especially in football and baseball. The Lions success at home this year is probably in part thanks to the fans, but also being in a dome with a team and QB that does better inside. In baseball, your outfielders learn the ins and outs of that field like the back of their hand over 81 games. To a lesser degree, your pitchers know what they can get away with up in the zone too.

I can't remember what exact game but there was a Lions home game recently where the crowd was going crazy and the TV analyst point blank asked the rules guy in the booth(may have been Blandino) if the home crowd ever effects how you officiate and he said something to the effect of it shouldn't and you try not to but sometimes it's hard not to get caught up in the moment. Basically admitting that yeah sometimes you may get the benefit of the whistle at home. 

7 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I can't remember what exact game but there was a Lions home game recently where the crowd was going crazy and the TV analyst point blank asked the rules guy in the booth(may have been Blandino) if the home crowd ever effects how you officiate and he said something to the effect of it shouldn't and you try not to but sometimes it's hard not to get caught up in the moment. Basically admitting that yeah sometimes you may get the benefit of the whistle at home. 

Like obvious pass interference on the Cowboys in Dallas and just picking the flag up because you don’t want to upset the fans?  🤫

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

Like obvious pass interference on the Cowboys in Dallas and just picking the flag up because you don’t want to upset the fans?  🤫

I still think that if Brandon Pettigrew gets up and sells that call by "looking" for the flag, or threw his hands up in outrage, the flag stands. I think in that case the officials were influenced by the Dallas sideline and crowd as much as they were the lack of reaction from Pettigrew.

16 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Maybe against Seattle this year when they killed a play for a "clock malfunction" without blowing the whistle and took a Lions defensive stop off of the board? Naturally immediately followed up by a Seattle TD (that could be the difference in making the playoffs or not).

That's the only time I remember the Ford Field crowd going ape shit on the officials this year.

40 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Maybe against Seattle this year when they killed a play for a "clock malfunction" without blowing the whistle and took a Lions defensive stop off of the board? Naturally immediately followed up by a Seattle TD (that could be the difference in making the playoffs or not).

That's the only time I remember the Ford Field crowd going ape shit on the officials this year.

We're gonna get ALL the calls Sunday. The NFL owes us, they know and we know it. No more cheating for Rodgers...fake face-masking or anything.

We. Are. Going. To. Blow. Them. Out.  <I'm never wrong> 😂

The Packers have beaten the last place Bears, last place Rams, a free falling Dolphins teams and arguably the worst team in football the past month the Vikings during their 4 game winning streak, plus Rodgers numbers have been very pedestrian during that time and no where near what Goff's have  been  yet the national media are acting like him and the Packers have been this unstoppable force of late. 

The only thing that worries me about the game is the potential officiating and how Goff will fair in the cold weather. If he holds his own I think we will be fine. 

Of course now that I say this watch Rodgers turn back the clock and the Packers end up winning by a million. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I’m going to put this into the world now in case I’m disappointed in 24-30 hours…. No matter what happens tomorrow, this season was a resounding success.

With that being said…

Rams 24 Seahawks 15

Lions 40 Packers 34 (OT)

seattle 30 rams 17

packers 31 lions 26

Seeing Mitch Albom weighing in on the Lions gave me the "run in the other direction" vibe.  The minute you get to the cab-drivers-giving-you-stock-advice stage of economy, get out of the market.   Mitch, for all his feelgoodery is...not really plugged in.

• Like 1