Week Eighteen: Detroit Lions (8-8) @ Green Bay Packers (8-8)

7 hours ago, sagnam said:

Good for them, and fuck the NFL for not making the right choice on their own.

But think of the money they lost.   It was money.   They lost money, man.   All that ad revenue that has to be paid back.   Can't lose money.   Player health and safety,  yeah, that's all well and good,  but the money, think of the money !

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

But think of the money they lost.   It was money.   They lost money, man.   All that ad revenue that has to be paid back.   Can't lose money.   Player health and safety,  yeah, that's all well and good,  but the money, think of the money !

Sarcasm, for those who don't understand me.   The ironic thing about it is that ESPN probably had way more people tuning in after 10pm than during a normal MNF game. 

16 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Player health and safety,

When will that 18th game be introduced?

15 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Sarcasm, for those who don't understand me.   The ironic thing about it is that ESPN probably had way more people tuning in after 10pm than during a normal MNF game. 

Obviously the teams & players were in a bad spot last night.  But the TV crews, particularly the studio crew who I thought were ready to just walk away at a few points.  Booger McFarland said it best, just put some other programming on and cancel the game.

17 minutes ago, casimir said:

When will that 18th game be introduced?

Thursday games after teams just played on Sunday too.    No time to recover so not only do you risk player safety, you get shitty games too.    Add a second bye week, put in a rule that all teams must have 6 days between games at the least.  Sure, one of the Lions bye weeks would always be the week before Thanksgiving.  Okay.    I know it makes it more complicated for schedulers, but we crashed a rocket into an asteroid and knocked it off course........I'm sure we can do this. 

Just now, chasfh said:

I wonder whether Chuck Hughes went down with the same thing fifty-some years ago?

I think he had a heart defect that got missed.  He hadn't gotten hit on the plays before he collapsed.    He had complained of chest pains before that happened and the diagnosis was missed.  For him it was a time bomb.      I think last night was an freak injury. 

18 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Baker Mayfield has something to play for. 

Yep, was just going to say that. He's playing for an opportunity next season so you know he'll come out guns blazing, plus you know Ramsey will be fired up to play against his buddy Metcalf. The Seahawks are also missing their top tackler in Brooks and Lockett is banged up.

I wouldn't call it 50/50 but the Rams have a decent shot to win that game. The Seahawks are vulnerable.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Thursday games after teams just played on Sunday too.    No time to recover so not only do you risk player safety, you get shitty games too.    Add a second bye week, put in a rule that all teams must have 6 days between games at the least.  Sure, one of the Lions bye weeks would always be the week before Thanksgiving.  Okay.    I know it makes it more complicated for schedulers, but we crashed a rocket into an asteroid and knocked it off course........I'm sure we can do this. 

they should just cancel all the games.  

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

they should just cancel all the games.  

Come on, man.  Asking those guys to wreck themselves 3 days after they just did it is wrong.   They can figure that out.   Plus the teams can't really prepare for the other teams.  Most Thursday games are garbage anyway.   They added a 17th week, give the players a 2nd bye week.  It would be good for football - extend the season an extra week.  So what if the Super Bowl is in Mid February.  That's a sports dead zone anyway.    

8 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Come on, man.  Asking those guys to wreck themselves 3 days after they just did it is wrong.   They can figure that out.   Plus the teams can't really prepare for the other teams.  Most Thursday games are garbage anyway.   They added a 17th week, give the players a 2nd bye week.  It would be good for football - extend the season an extra week.  So what if the Super Bowl is in Mid February.  That's a sports dead zone anyway.    

so you want to cancel the thanksgiving day games too?

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

so you want to cancel the thanksgiving day games too?

No.........just have Thursday night teams where the two opponents had a bye the previous Sunday.   Okay, there would have to be a bye every week until the final week...........So what?    They had 31 teams for several years - meaning they had a bye team every single week and it didn't hurt the game a bit. 

If you're worried about teams playing on a short week perhaps you could make it where any team playing on a Thursday has to play it coming off their bye week.  Not sure how that would work logically scheduling wise but it seems like it could be an option. 

edit: Sorry didn't see MCS suggest that above. 

Another option if you don't want to have bye weeks at the start of the year would be just like they have Saturday games at the end of the season they could have Saturday or even Friday night game(if they don't want to compete with CFB) the first few weeks of the year and the teams that play on Thursday have to play on Friday/Saturday the week before. Yeah it wouldn't be a full 7 days but it would give them an extra day or two which would help.

Edited by RandyMarsh

16 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

this seems like a bit of an extreme over-correction--Hamlin's injury was horrific, but I don't think it would have been impacted differently based on the number of days in between games.  I agree that 3 days rest is less than ideal, and that's what they should be working to minimize through better scheduling.  If they were willing to distribute the national games more evenly amongst all teams, then they could schedule a BYE week adjacent to a Thursday night game.  However, I don't seem them doing that.

The day after a game is considered an Off Day, so there are no physical football activities, no practice.  But players still come in, some of them come in to work out, some of them come in to work with the training staff on injuries and some of them come in for game film or bull sessions with their position coaches.   Every once in a while the coach tells them take the full day off - meaning you earned it, take a break.   But after the Carolina game, you can bet that every player on the Lions team game in to work on something.    With Thursday games that recovery/rest day is taken away and game prep gets cut down to two days and the road team has to travel on the 2nd day or the day of the game.  It's a joke and it needs to stop.  

5 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

this seems like a bit of an extreme over-correction--Hamlin's injury was horrific, but I don't think it would have been impacted differently based on the number of days in between games.  I agree that 3 days rest is less than ideal, and that's what they should be working to minimize through better scheduling.  If they were willing to distribute the national games more evenly amongst all teams, then they could schedule a BYE week adjacent to a Thursday night game.  However, I don't seem them doing that.

Nothing to do with Hamlin's injury, that was a freak occurrence, but just overall for player safety and for the quality of the games.    Players deserve that 2nd bye week.  It should have been automatic when the 17th game was announced.  

Plus using the Bye Week Buffer for Thursday games insures that you get more variety on Thursday games and pretty much everyone would get a chance to be in the spotlight.   Some teams don't deserve to be, but when they make the schedule in advance they have no idea how good someone will be.    Look how many Prime Time games the Lemmy-Awful Colts got this season.    As entertaining as watching ice cream melt. 

I've long been an advocate against the short week so I have no problems if they change it up. I never liked them not only for player safety but just because I don't think the result of the game is that reliable since you're not getting teams playing at the health and readiness level that they play at in other games.  I think it makes a game/league who's game results already have extreme volatility that much more extreme.