Week Eighteen: Detroit Lions (8-8) @ Green Bay Packers (8-8)

The 8th seed rumor being floated around would add a whole new wrinkle to playoff possibilities with this game.

If it happens, a Seattle win over LA would secure them a playoff berth, and make the Lions/Packers a play-in game. If Seattle loses though, that puts the Packers into the playoffs even with a loss. Would Green Bay rest starters? A Seattle loss would also create a weird situation where a tie puts both the Lions and Packers in the playoffs.

How about the Seahawks lose, the Lions win, Packers and Lions run the table, and the Lions host the Packers for the NFC Championship? 😆 

12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

If it comes down to the Chiefs and Bills in  the AFC Championship game the game will be held at a neutral site,  so hey maybe Ford Field will finally host a playoff game after all.lol

Ford Field probably is on the short list. They’ve done it before (though not in the playoffs obviously), and are about as close as you’ll get to equidistant from KC and Buffalo in a dome. They’re also guaranteed to not host a playoff game.

Other options are probably Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Dallas, and Minneapolis, but those are all a considerable further distance away from one or both clubs, and/or have their own possibility of hosting a Conference Championship. Indianapolis would be a good possibility as well.

9 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Ford Field probably is on the short list. They’ve done it before (though not in the playoffs obviously), and are about as close as you’ll get to equidistant from KC and Buffalo in a dome. They’re also guaranteed to not host a playoff game.

Other options are probably Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Dallas, and Minneapolis, but those are all a considerable further distance away from one or both clubs, and/or have their own possibility of hosting a Conference Championship. Indianapolis would be a good possibility as well.

indianapolis would probably get it.  very centralized.

Edited by buddha

On 1/4/2023 at 6:57 PM, buddha said:

im more worried about how they plan to stop the green bay offense.  no christian watson the last time tjey met, and rodgers threw three red zone ints.  i doubt that happens again.

The Lions were missing a bunch of guys in the last Green Bay game as well. Rodgers hasn't seen Da Problem yet to name a big one. Watson played the Detroit game btw, he just hadn't broken out yet.

In any event, I'm more worried about the Lions defense against the Packers running game, in the cold, than Rodgers torching them. The Lions will need to run the ball and control the clock to have a chance, it'll be really tough to win in that environment without a stout running game and/or being able to stop the run.

Edited by NYLion

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

The Lions were missing a bunch of guys in the last Green Bay game as well. Rodgers hasn't seen Da Problem yet to name a big one. Watson played the Detroit game btw, he just hadn't broken out yet.

In any event, I'm more worried about the Lions defense against the Packers running game, in the cold, than Rodgers torching them. The Lions will need to run the ball and control the clock to have a chance, it'll be really tough to win in that environment without a stout running game and/or being able to stop the run.

Just make sure they bring every possible type of footwear to deal with a turf that could be messy or somewhat frozen. 

Team needs to own "That Team" heading into this game. .   Wear it like a badge of honor and be "That Team:" that stopped the Packers from getting into the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

im worried about all aspects of the lions defense against green bay.  but on the whole, i am more worried about aaron rodgers than aaron jones.

50 minutes ago, buddha said:

im worried about all aspects of the lions defense against green bay.  but on the whole, i am more worried about aaron rodgers than aaron jones.

I disagree. I'm more worried about the Lions run defense in a cold weather game, and their ability to run the ball on the road, but... agree to disagree. Rodgers is always a worry but this isn't MVP Rodgers anymore.

Edited by NYLion
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I read somewhere yesterday Ford Field is reserved for an event that weekend.

Rap tweeted this but if there is an event, it’s private and presumably able to be rescheduled. I don’t know how an NFL venue books an event for the weekend of the Conference Championships unless it comes with a clause that it can be rescheduled if there will be a conference championship played here.

I think Detroit and Indy are the two that make the most sense.

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The Lions are at best the #7 seed if they make it, so they couldn’t host a playoff game anyway.

The NFL adds an 8th team, Seattle loses to the Rams, Lions beat the Packers, Seattle and the Lions make it to the NFC Championship lol

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

5 hours ago, NYLion said:

I disagree. I'm more worried about the Lions run defense in a cold weather game, and their ability to run the ball on the road, but... agree to disagree. Rodgers is always a worry but this isn't MVP Rodgers anymore.

Even a washed-up has-been is capable of playing good in limited playing time. I'm sure not worried about Rodgers scrambling ability. He should be very, very worried about the Lions pass rush. Maybe sack him into retirement?

I think the Rams have a puncher's chance to beat the Seahawks. Even beyond 'any given Sunday', I don't think the Seahawks are very good and the Rams are a team with a very good coach (despite a very punchable face) that is playing with nothing to lose. I would take the Rams and the points if I bet.

I am also feeling pretty good about the Lions tomorrow. I've said it before, but this is a Dan Campbell game. I think this team will be absolutely ready to go, no matter the result in the 4:00 game. I think the Lions at their best have been better than the Packers at their best this year, and it should be a very good game.

This is the kind of game that the Jim Caldwell led Lions would come into lethargically and lost by two scores. I think it's what can set this era apart.

57 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think the Rams have a puncher's chance to beat the Seahawks. Even beyond 'any given Sunday', I don't think the Seahawks are very good and the Rams are a team with a very good coach (despite a very punchable face) that is playing with nothing to lose. I would take the Rams and the points if I bet.

I am also feeling pretty good about the Lions tomorrow. I've said it before, but this is a Dan Campbell game. I think this team will be absolutely ready to go, no matter the result in the 4:00 game. I think the Lions at their best have been better than the Packers at their best this year, and it should be a very good game.

This is the kind of game that the Jim Caldwell led Lions would come into lethargically and lost by two scores. I think it's what can set this era apart.

Don't forget how hard it is to win in Seattle. I don't see the Rams even keeping it close. A no-lose situation for the Lions...Rams lose, we get a better pick. Rams win and we get a playoff game after beating Green Bay.