Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

I remember hearing that there was/is actual consideration to move the Jags to London for half their home season.

They basically would play half their home games at Jax and the other half in London, considering they play in Europe seemingly every year and in some cases multiple times it may be their way of easing into that move.

Its funny to somebody like me who has never been to Europe it feels like half a world away when in reality getting there from JFK doesn't take a whole lot longer than some domestic flights depending on where you're from and going.

I think it takes about 7hrs from NY to London vs. about 6 to LA but to me it just feels like London is so much further away.

Edited by RandyMarsh

12 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

<Tinfoil Hat Time>

I had a thought this morning. What if the reason that the gambling companies "ratted out" various NFL players was because they were winning too much? Oh, you're going to take a bunch of our money? Fine... maybe we'll just leak to the NFL where you were placing those bets. Let's see how you like that, shall we?

</Tinfoil Hat Time>

Obviously this is just pure conjecture on my part. I have ZERO evidence that this is why it happen. I was just trying to figure out why a betting company would actively try to remove customers. I suppose the other very plausible reason is that it's part of their contact with sports leagues that they will monitor and report on players activity.

With the NFL and the betting companies being so in bed with one another, it would be remarkably easy to 'force' compliance among NFL players and have zero, or close to zero, gambling related suspensions. The ones that remain would have intentionally circumvented the rules. If they can tell Jamo placed a bet from the Allen Park training facility, they can block bets from the Allen Park training facility. They choose not to. They could also block access to any and all illicit bets from the devices of players. They choose not to.

I'm sure part of this has to do with the (relatively little) time and energy this would cost. More likely it does have to do with money, as if millionaire players want to be stupid and bet their millions, I'm sure the betting companies don't mind collecting it (until the NFL comes calling and they can tattle to dad).

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

<Tinfoil Hat Time>

I had a thought this morning. What if the reason that the gambling companies "ratted out" various NFL players was because they were winning too much? Oh, you're going to take a bunch of our money? Fine... maybe we'll just leak to the NFL where you were placing those bets. Let's see how you like that, shall we?

</Tinfoil Hat Time>

Obviously this is just pure conjecture on my part. I have ZERO evidence that this is why it happen. I was just trying to figure out why a betting company would actively try to remove customers. I suppose the other very plausible reason is that it's part of their contact with sports leagues that they will monitor and report on players activity.

A) it might be required by the various states

b) avoids a PR nightmare of being linked to a major scandal or falling out of the league's graces when contract time comes up

c) there is always someone else to fill the gap, they ain't hurting for money.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

With the NFL and the betting companies being so in bed with one another, it would be remarkably easy to 'force' compliance among NFL players and have zero, or close to zero, gambling related suspensions. The ones that remain would have intentionally circumvented the rules. If they can tell Jamo placed a bet from the Allen Park training facility, they can block bets from the Allen Park training facility. They choose not to. They could also block access to any and all illicit bets from the devices of players. They choose not to.

The thing is that the player are already circumventing the rules. They know they're not supposed to do this and did it anyway.

Yes it's possible to put in various complex network or device/location blocks, but these wouldn't be super simple AND would be very easy to get around with a VPN. The amount of extra effort put in to try to electronically block people from break the rules would probably only stop the accidental situation where a person just forgot for a moment. Any one who wanted to get around the tech block could do it easily.

25 minutes ago, KL2 said:

A) it might be required by the various states

b) avoids a PR nightmare of being linked to a major scandal or falling out of the league's graces when contract time comes up

c) there is always someone else to fill the gap, they ain't hurting for money.

Well I mean sure... if you want to look at it logically. But that takes all the fun out of it.

3 minutes ago, sagnam said:

I’m not convinced they knew they couldn’t. 

I think there is “knew they couldn’t and did it anyway”, “should have known by common sense and did it anyway”, and “should have known by reading and fully understanding the rules and did it anyway”.

The difference between #1 and #2 is insignificant, and is what everyone who got the year-long bans did by betting on football. I am okay putting Jamo in the third category.

53 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Vikings should consider trading Cousins but I'm not sure there would be any takers this late in the offseason.

It feels like they're trying to split the baby and enter a rebuild without saying they're entering a rebuild, which is a sure-fire way to go between 6-11 and 9-8 for the next 3-4 years before the administration is fired and you hire new people to rebuild.

3 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

That's called a "someone please pay this man because we can't" trade

Forgive my ignorance of not knowing a lot about football.... But aren't you praying 1st round DE's give you 10 sacks in a season? They basically picked this guy up for free and will get at least two seasons out of him for essentially nothing.... Why would a team sell so cheap? And why can't we trade all of our picks for proven All-star talent and win the Superbowl? Based on this logic, we should be able to get the best CB in the game for a 2nd rounder, the best O-line player for a 3rd.... Why would a team trade a stud player for nothing? I get salary relief, but if this guy got 10 sacks, HOW did they not get a 1st or 2nd rounder out of it? That makes no sense at all........

On 5/10/2023 at 6:48 PM, sagnam said:

I am shocked that they couldn’t gamble in a hotel.

Now, could they have gambled in the hotel, but not in their room?  I mean, technically the team is paying for the room but like if you're in the lobby the team isn't paying for that. I could walk into a lobby of a hotel without having a room there.

(Yes, this is a joke comment... I'm not seriously questioning if this would be "legal" or not... I'm trying to highlight the absurdity of the rule.)