Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

On 5/31/2023 at 8:22 AM, RandyMarsh said:

The Hopkins practice news isn't encouraging but I don't necessarily think it's a deal breaker like it would be if he was a draft prospect.

I'd be more concerned about "He can't run or separate anymore."

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm treating anything we get from him as found money but Campbell says that Levi is on track to return to training camp from his back surgery and all signs have been positive about his recovery. 

Even with him being at the weakest position group on the roster, I'll be surprised if he makes it past final cuts.

7 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Even with him being at the weakest position group on the roster, I'll be surprised if he makes it past final cuts.

That's probably the safe bet but maybe we'll get lucky and this surgery will have cured the ailments holding him back the last couple years and now he is free to fulfill the potential we had in him when we drafted him in the 2nd round.

Not counting on it or expecting it but atleast it sounds like there could atleast be a possibility. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I wonder if the NFLPA can file a grievance on behalf of the players... who didn't bet on their own sport or team.

PS: I've heard chatter that Jaymo placed bets at a hotel while with the team but I don't know if this is confirmed or accurate. 

We get a story how Goff is essentially in the best qb shape of his life and then one where he’s being outperformed by our defenses. That’s either very good news or very bad news … or offseason fluff that should be completely ignored.  Who know which it is?!?!

23 minutes ago, sagnam said:

We get a story how Goff is essentially in the best qb shape of his life and then one where he’s being outperformed by our defenses. That’s either very good news or very bad news … or offseason fluff that should be completely ignored.  Who know which it is?!?!

Yeah the tweets posted literally said none of that. 

40 minutes ago, sagnam said:

I don't know if practicing against a better pass D makes a better pass O, but I believe it does does work the other way - more likely to get to a good pass D when it has to practice against a good pass O.

1 hour ago, sagnam said:

None of the above.

It's called the receivers getting...

separation.

"The most notable nugget of Dan Campbell’s morning news conference came when discussing Goff. This is a quarterback who made two Pro Bowls and took the Rams to a Super Bowl before joining the Lions. And yet, Campbell said he believes Goff is even better now.

“We ask him to do a lot more, in my opinion, than what they were actually doing out there,” Campbell said. “They had a lot of pretty good pieces out there as well, as we know. Damn good defense, all of those things. But I just feel like — I know from speaking with him and then watching him really over the last two years … we put a lot of things on him where I am not so sure that was ultimately what they were doing.”

Don’t read that as a slight. It wasn’t. Campbell genuinely believes Goff has matured as a QB, leading to strong play while carrying more on his plate.

Goff agrees.

“I think as you get older and get more mature in the league that happens, and I’d certainly say so,” Goff said Tuesday. “I think I said that a handful of times last year, that I thought I was playing the best football of my career and plan on continuing to do that.”

When Goff was traded, the narrative out of L.A. was that Sean McVay’s offense got the most out of Goff, and the limitations in his game forced the team to move on to Matthew Stafford. But now that Goff has had a Pro Bowl season with a new franchise, while having more of a say in the offense, taking better care of the football and taking on more of a leadership role, that narrative might need to be put to rest.

Viewed as a stopgap by fans when he initially arrived in Detroit, Goff now has the respect of the locker room and quarterbacked a top-five scoring offense last season. Campbell noted Goff’s strong grasp of the offense, the protections, where the issues are, how to check into better looks — all the things that come with time as a QB. General manager Brad Holmes said there have been internal dialogues about a contract extension. The Lions simply feel he’s on top of his game. 

“I think he has settled in with us,” Campbell said. “He has gotten very comfortable with what we want to do. … Everybody knows what he came from and that wasn’t the easiest thing. … He hung in there, and I think what you are seeing is a guy who just put his head down and went back to work and worked on what he could, tried to improve on what he could, and now his confidence has really grown, and along the way he has matured as a quarterback.”

https://theathletic.com/4586957/2023/06/06/lions-minicamp-observations-jared-goff?source=user-shared-article

Campbell's comments had nothing to do with OTA and never mentioned what shape Goff was in. This was an observation made over two years with the team and his play on the field bears that out as well.