Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

Locked on Lions was talking about the Jet's DT Quinnen Williams and his contact disputes with the Jets. Here's a story talking about it. The short version is that apparently he is looking for just shy of Aaron Donald-level money. Dery, on his podcast, was saying Holmes should be on the phone with the Jets kicking the tires to see if they might be thinking of a trade.

So two part discussion question:

1. Would you want to trade for Williams? If so, what would you be willing to give up? I'm sure it would start with at least a 1st round pick and would require more along with that.

2. What would you be willing to pay Williams contract-wise?

I don't think there's any question DT could us an upgrade and this would be a big upgrade for the Lions. But at what cost?

I was more eager to trade before the draft when the Lions had two picks and we knew where they were at. You can try to bank on it being a late 1st and I would be happy with that for Williams. I'm not sure why the Jets would trade him though vs paying him. They went all in with Rodgers. Got to keep the defense together. 

Yeah Id probably still deal a 1st for Williams but I'm not as eager to as I was say for Simmons last month even though Williams may be the superior player. Im just apprehensive about dealing future 1sts cause you just never know where you're going to be picking a year from now. Even though I like to believe it will be in the 20s you just never know, we could have bad injury luck, turnover luck or have a terrible record in close games and that pick ends up being in the top 10 or even top 5. 

Also its hard to know what the draft class is going to look like a year from now.

With that said for a player of Williams talent Id probably still do it but like MB said I wouldn't be as gung ho about it as I would've been a month ago. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

8 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Locked on Lions was talking about the Jet's DT Quinnen Williams and his contact disputes with the Jets. Here's a story talking about it. The short version is that apparently he is looking for just shy of Aaron Donald-level money. Dery, on his podcast, was saying Holmes should be on the phone with the Jets kicking the tires to see if they might be thinking of a trade.

1. Would you want to trade for Williams? If so, what would you be willing to give up? I'm sure it would start with at least a 1st round pick and would require more along with that.

I don't think there's any question DT could us an upgrade and this would be a big upgrade for the Lions. But at what cost?

The Jets are in a very tough spot, but I think there is (nearly) a 0.0% chance that Quinnen Williams is traded before the 2023 season. Their first priority has to be restructuring the Rodgers deal. His cap hit is $1.2MM this year, but is scheduled to be an outrageous $107.55MM next year. That's not feasible, even in a New Orleans world where the cap is made up and the points don't matter. Both sides probably know that's not feasible, but Rodgers holds all of the leverage there. He's a total douche, and will want to keep the option of retirement open at all times. If something goes wrong for the Jets this year and they go up like the Hindenburg, Rodgers could totally hold the entire franchise over a barrel for the near future.

They have to know what their 2024 (and beyond) cap looks like before they can ink Williams to a nine-figure deal. Which Williams obviously, and understandably, doesn't like. He wants his deal and he wants it now.

The thing that is known right now though is that they are in a win-now mode. The Jets are entering a period where they are looking to win a Super Bowl. It may only last one year, it may be a couple, but either way, you don't trade your defensive anchor when you are entering this window. You just don't, under any circumstance. If Quinnen Williams threatens to hold out, you call his bluff. He is under contract for another year, and there are franchise tags after that that would allow you to extend him for a single year at a time, at or below what he's asking for in a long-term deal. There is just no reason to panic and trade him.

Of course, if the Jets are absolutely moronic (they are the Jets after all) and he is available, you need to be on the phone. I would do a 2024 1st and 3rd and a 2025 2nd with no hesitation. I think he is one of the best defensive players in the NFL, and I would have zero issue signing him to a 4 year / $120MM deal. That 1st should be in the late 20s at the earliest, and I think he could catapult you from being just the NFC North favorite to being a serious Super Bowl threat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

1st+3rd and even add a bit if need be and I'd give him 4 years $110m. 

First of all, I find it to be an extreme longshot that the Jets part with him just like the Jeffrey Simmons fantasy but if they did make him available, Holmes should be the first one on the phone with them doing what it takes to bring him to The Motor City.

Edited by NYLion

5 minutes ago, NYLion said:

1st+3rd and even add a bit if need be and I'd give him 4 years $110m. 

First of all, I find it to be an extreme longshot that the Jets part with him just like the Jeffrey Simmons fantasy but if they did make him available, Holmes should be the first one on the phone with them doing what it takes to bring him to The Motor City.

I think Jeff Simmons was more realistic. The Titans are in purgatory and should really rebuild.

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Struggled a bit last year but worth taking a look at. 

Was coming to post the same thing, looking at his splits though he has basically been automatic from the 40-49 yard range the past 5 years(I think he missed 1 or 2 total in 5 years) which to me is the most important range for the Lions. Reason I say that is with how aggressive the team is they aren't going to be kicking many 50+FGs which is the distance where he kinda struggled this past year, from that distance Campbell and company just assume go for it than try to kick it so as long as you are reliable in that medium range like McMannus has been I think that is what matters most for us. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

43 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Was coming to post the same thing, looking at his splits though he has basically been automatic from the 40-49 yard range the past 5 years(I think he missed 1 or 2 total in 5 years) which to me is the most important range for the Lions. Reason I say that is with how aggressive the team is they aren't going to be kicking many 50+FGs which is the distance where he kinda struggled this past year, from that distance Campbell and company just assume go for it than try to kick it so as long as you are reliable in that medium range like McMannus has been I think that is what matters most for us. 

I thought the opposite. The lack of a reliable kicker from 50+ makes them go for it more since they are just as likely to convert as they are to make the field goal. With the Lions having high expectations, I want to be able to bring in a reliable kicker at the end of a playoff game. 

barnwell taps the lions with the 5th worst offseason in the nfl.

he says they used their resources poorly and prioritized low value positions like rb, safety, and off ball linebackers.  this was the offseason to improve at more valuable positions like edge and they didnt do it.

Edited by buddha