Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

Not sure if this necessarily means these are the only teams he is interested in but Hopkins did say last week that the 5 QBs he would love to play for are Allen, Mahomes, Lamar, Herbert and Hurts so going by that it appears that it will indeed be another "rich get richer" outcome. 

On 5/25/2023 at 10:35 AM, buddha said:

barnwell taps the lions with the 5th worst offseason in the nfl.

he says they used their resources poorly and prioritized low value positions like rb, safety, and off ball linebackers.  this was the offseason to improve at more valuable positions like edge and they didnt do it.

Barnwell is an idiot. So there’s that. He always goes against the grain for clicks. 

On 5/25/2023 at 1:15 PM, buddha said:

i think positional value is real and the lions invested a lot of money and high picks in lower value positions.  but i think barnwell is wrong.  he doesnt really know the lions and only has a cursory knowledge of their players.  they have more talent at edge than he gives them credit for, and gibbs is a multifacted offensive player who can play as much receiver as running back.

as for the linebacker and db issue, he does have a point on the lions spending a ton of money and capital on anzalone and campbell, but he seems to fall into the trap of assuming draft picks are made to play next year.  campbell will eventually replace anzalone and should be an upgrade on rodriguez.  his point on the deals cjgj and mosely signed seems to be grasping at straws (that they werent as values around the league seeing as how their contracts were so low).

Very little money was spent on anzalone and Campbell is on a rookie deal. 

Valenti and Costa were talking about Hopkins today on 97.1 and Valenti kept insisting that Hopkins is going to want the premium share of targets and a 3-4 year deal with a boatload of guaranteed money up front. He was insinuating that if Hopkins can't be guaranteed a certain number of targets or get a 3-4 year contract that he won't sign there because he's a diva.

Listening to what Hopkins demands were the other day, I think Valenti is incorrect and off base. There aren't many teams that can afford to, nor will they, give Hopkins 3 or 4 years with $50-$75 million in guaranteed money. I also don't think that's what he wants at this point in his career. The guy is 31 years old, declining in play, and is on the last years of his career. I don't know what team out there is making him their #1 WR, giving him 110+ targets a year, and the kind of guaranteed money and contract length Valenti was insinuating.

I think it is much more likely that Hopkins signs a 1-2 year deal at $15 million per season with it fully or at least 75% guaranteed than it is he signs for 4 years and $100 million with $50 million fully guaranteed.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

4 minutes ago, sagnam said:

That is oddly specific wording.  Seems likely to me it’s directed at Murray.

I think the whole quote may have been directed at the Cardinals honestly. I expect Hopkins to go to a top 10-15 team that should make the playoffs, but beyond that he will go to whomever will pay him the most.

16 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Nobody cares that Hopkins was seen at DTW today?

The post I saw on this was a meme… the one that started like five years ago when a black dude with dreds was confused for Larry Fitzgerald and it went viral. Now you’ll see the pic all the time with the caption “(insert athlete) was spotted today at (insert airport)!”

image.thumb.png.2e1283894b5d8ef0d2d7360b7ec7c1d6.png

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

kind of surprised i havent seen anyone link hopkins to detroit.

Yeah same here. I've been looking around the net and the closest I have found was CBS listing us a the number 1 "dark horse candidate". Not saying this cause I'm a fan but even if I was an outsider it seems like the perfect fit. By most accounts the Lions are a NFC contender, they have a bunch of money to spend, have a clear need for him and have a potent offense around him so it wouldn't all be on him.  He maybe able to play with a better QB or team but I think he'd be sacrificing money and potential targets/production in doing so where as here that wouldn't really be the case. 

I think it is very dependent on what he wants. I’m sure Holmes has already called his agent and inquired about an asking price (as I’m sure the vast majority of teams would).

If he’s okay signing a one-year deal worth $14-18MM to go to a contender - maybe a two-year deal that is heavily incentive laced in the second year - and he views Detroit as a contender, I think he makes a lot of sense. We have the cap space, something of a need (though I don’t think it’s dire), and we should have a good football team this fall.

If his agent says he wants a three or four year deal though at $15MM per, no thanks. I’m not going to get into a bidding war for an aging WR with diva tendencies. Holmes’ history says he probably feels the same. Let someone else overpay and/or overcommit.