2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

30 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Just a question here.

Who is better.  Javier Baez or  Zack Short/Niko Goodrum/Isaac Paredes/Willi Castro/Harold Castro ?       

Javy might not be a first choice of many here, but he is FAR superior to anything the Tigers can cobble together.  

What about Kreidler?  

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/11/top-50-mlb-free-agent-rankings.html

1. Carlos Correa.  Ten years, $320MM.

Tim Dierkes: Tigers / Steve Adams: Phillies / Anthony Franco: Tigers

In this winter’s star-studded class of free agent shortstops, we consider Correa the best.  The Astros drafted Correa first overall out of Puerto Rico Baseball Academy back in 2012, and he won the 2015 AL Rookie of the Year award despite debuting in June.  The 2016 season was a continuation of that success, and Correa seemed unstoppable.

13 minutes ago, KL2 said:

In this winter’s star-studded class of free agent shortstops, we consider Correa the best.  The Astros drafted Correa first overall out of Puerto Rico Baseball Academy back in 2012, and he won the 2015 AL Rookie of the Year award despite debuting in June.  The 2016 season was a continuation of that success, and Correa seemed unstoppable.

if we end up with him...I'd be very happy.    

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Just a question here.

Who is better.  Javier Baez or  Zack Short/Niko Goodrum/Isaac Paredes/Willi Castro/Harold Castro ?       

Javy might not be a first choice of many here, but he is FAR superior to anything the Tigers can cobble together.  

this is the logic you apply when you call someone  up from AAA, I'm not sure it's what is going to apply when you decide to spend a quarter billions dollars. I think when you do that the question is more like - 'is this exactly the guy that is a good long term fit with the team we are trying to build?"   That is a higher bar. It's interesting to try and weigh up all these guys on various kinds of scales, but the only yardstick that is going to matter is the one that Avila is going to apply, and it's a good bet that is not one anyone of us are using. So basically I'm ready to be a little surprised by where they end up on this.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

And I'm not sure if even Hinch could control his child-like behavior. 

If a clubhouse needs to be controlled, Hinch has already proven that he can't do it.  But I haven't heard anything to suggest that Baez would hurt "clubhouse chemistry".  Correa, on the other hand, was in that Astros clubhouse that defied Hinch and cost him his job.

1 hour ago, KL2 said:

It feels weird to see how many people nationally think he's going to the Tigers.

(The pessimist in me assumes that it will not happen lol)

21 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

It feels weird to see how many people nationally think he's going to the Tigers.

I am expecting the Tigers to land one of the big five.  It will be a bit disappointing if they don't.  I am less confident they'll get Correa specifically, but I think they will make a legitimate offer.  

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

They're only doing that because of Hinch.

But if we actually get Correa, partly because Hinch, well then... Hell Yeah!

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

They're only doing that because of Hinch.

But if we actually get Correa, partly because Hinch, well then... Hell Yeah!

Apparently, it's a done deal. Too bad it's not real;

12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not sure if it's legit or not since it's just reportedly Reynolds confirming it but I believe it. Ive learned over the years to never doubt Verlander's ability or competitiveness. 

That would be good for JV but TBH, velo is usually not  JVs problem. He could gear up and throw harder even in 2015 when he was hurt but it was flat. It's the spin on that 96 mph 4 seamer that makes JV, JV. If he's got that, he'll be good.

44 minutes ago, Useful Idiot said:

Don't you suppose the use of that explanation is based at least in part on the players being granted immunity? 

Rather than allow the blame to mushroom up the chain of command....

No, I don't think so at all.  I think we never would have heard about it if he was a strong enough, respected enough leader to have them do what he wanted them to.  But they were star players, unlike today's Tigers, and they knew that they were more important than he was, and did not accept his leadership.

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Add me to the believe it won't happen list.  I don't think the Tigers are willing to commit to a deal like that yet.  They have a history of big deals not panning out so I think they are more likely to sign a guy like A. Simmons for a year than do a big long term deal. That's my two cents and now they might sign Correa tomorrow???