Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

yeah outrage culture... and republicans are the victims.

Damn.... this is straight up.

People are pissed and get mad easily.  Don't coddle the liberals.  Coddle the tough conservatives that have guns because they might shoot you but don't away the guns. Just coddle.  Coddle for me but not for thee.

Again, these are all just red herrings to ignore the 1000 lb gorilla in the room.

It's really hard for me to get worked up about this shit, sad as it is, because this playbook is as old as watching the Detroit Lions F it up on Sundays. We'll sit here and argue for a couple of weeks, the anti-gun regulation folks will talk about their concern about mental health and video games (which will be backed up with zero policy action or money because it's all nebulous talk to run out the clock on the debate) and then, once the debate subsides, we'll wait for the next one, where the cycle begins anew.

It's been going since at least Columbine, and I see no reason why it won't continue.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Only way to fix gun problems is with legistlation right? So lets do it! In the mean time if tighter security could prevent the next school shooting right? I am perplexed that this gets so much static. 

Many blue states have done it and which is why their rate of gun violence is lower than red states. 

4 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Only way to fix gun problems is with legistlation right? So lets do it!

We have a federal government that, for years, has struggled to renew basic and uncontroversial things like the highway trust fund before their expiration date - there isn't a world where anything is being done on this issue.

4 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

In the mean time if tighter security could prevent the next school shooting right? 

Didn't Michigan Cardinal just share a study that suggested that metal detectors are largely ineffective?

Edited by mtutiger

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

We have a federal government that, for years, has struggled to renew basic and uncontroversial things like the highway trust fund before their expiration date - there isn't a world where anything is being done on this issue.

Didn't Michigan Cardinal just share a study that suggested that metal detectors are largely ineffective?

From what I skimmed, I didn't see anything real concrete one way or the other. I don't think metal detectors and security checks should be the only means, but I don't see a reason against them. I know it's anecdotal, but apparently the attackers in France in 2015 chose that theater because they didn't check for weapons. Certainly they would have found somewhere else to attack but they did reconnaissance on that theater for that very purpose. France is a country with tight gun control but you should keep open all options.  

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

No idea. But somone walks into building alarm goes off and SRO searches student, finds gun. How does this not work? Also if said student knows there is a metal detector they don't try to bring gun? I know these are out in leftfield ideas sorry to waste anyones time. Please, refer back to your study.

6 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

No idea. But somone walks into building alarm goes off and SRO searches student, finds gun. How does this not work? Also if said student knows there is a metal detector they don't try to bring gun? I know these are out in leftfield ideas sorry to waste anyones time. Please, refer back to your study.

Come on.

I'm not saying don't spend money on metal detectors, I'm saying that they aren't a substitute for addressing the actual, bigger problem. Which isn't gonna happen because nobody seems particularly interested in fixing it.

This is why I generally have been avoiding these debates... nothing will change. We'll just get more of the status quo.

Edited by mtutiger

43 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Come on.

I'm not saying don't spend money on metal detectors, I'm saying that they aren't a substitute for addressing the actual, bigger problem. Which isn't gonna happen because nobody seems particularly interested in fixing it.

This is why I generally have been avoiding these debates... nothing will change. We'll just get more of the status quo.

The real problem is what is happening long before the explosion.  

I don't know  how much metal detectors would stop it, but it probably would put some people at ease, but because schools need to have exits available and unlocked (for events like this), I don't think it would be too difficult for a kid to stash a gun near an exit and then go through the detectors and go retrieve their guns.     Plus now people are posting how-to videos on making plastic guns with 3D printers that won't be detected in metal detectors.  And 3D printers are getting cheaper every day.    

46 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Archie is getting owned by all you liberal meatheads.  

Huh?  We were having a discussion mainly on what all is wrong.  

I was reading a couple articles on the shooting and the suspect and family have lawyered up.  Neither article came out and said it directly but were eluding to father could be in a lot of hot water for his role in purchasing and giving the gun to his kid. Its all being looked at.

1 hour ago, Archie said:

Huh?  We were having a discussion mainly on what all is wrong.  

I was reading a couple articles on the shooting and the suspect and family have lawyered up.  Neither article came out and said it directly but were eluding to father could be in a lot of hot water for his role in purchasing and giving the gun to his kid. Its all being looked at.

If his father purchased it for him, he should undoubtedly face murder charges. The kid was just charged with a host of charges, including 4 first degree murder charges as well as terrorism charges. 

8FBF1CE5-AD78-4DBE-B3EF-41BB02AA5B94.jpeg

1 minute ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Awful.... Yes he should be charged. I have multiple fire arms, my kids have never seen them because they stay locked in a safe. If we can't change the law to stop this kind of dumb shit then please charge with the full extent of the law. Does Michigan have the death penalty?

Michigan does not. Fun fact, it was the first state in the union to abolish it. 

This reminds me of another 15 year old from Oregon.  In 1998 Kip Kinkel was having rage issues.   School talked to the parents.   Psychologist told the parents that they had to be VERY careful and that they should not have any weapons within reach, not even in the house.    So what does Dad do?  He buys his son a gun two weeks later.    The very gun Kip used to kill his parents and two kids at his school, and if it hadn't been for a kid named Jakob Ryker tackling him it would have been more.   

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Michigan does not. Fun fact, it was the first state in the union to abolish it. 

Michigan was the first English-speaking jurisdiction in the world to abolish the death penalty. Personally, I always felt a lot of pride in that fact.