Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The next logical step is to start arming the students. If kids can drive at 16 given how dangerous automobiles are, then they can surely carry guns. 

I can imagine an executive for a large gun manufacturer saying this without a shred of irony...

We did passion fruit already.

You know, in the early '70s that was the most absurd thing that the Pythons could think of, and that is really saying something.  And let us remember the most prescient aspect of that skit.  When Graham Chapman attacks with a banana, Cleese kills him with a 6-shooter.  50 years later, that is reality.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Interesting, I would’ve struck you for the “This never would’ve happened if he just obeyed the police “ crowd.   

I certainly am more of a “why didn’t you just listen”, but even with that, there are various degrees.  If he had a knife and no cop was there and managed to kill the clerk that was just standing there it would have been a real life version of the Austin Powers steamroll scene.

4 hours ago, Archie said:

Apparently the guy in the wheelchair had a knife.  Why don't you let the facts come out before you crucify someone.  I know some of you like to assume things you have no idea about so remember this is the USA and a person is presumed innocent until proven guilty.  

IMO, you looked at the facts of Rittenhouse vs the feeling that it wasn’t right.  Yes, some stuff might mitigate what that video shows. although I’m pretty sure it was a white victim and the police department already fired the guy so take that for what it’s worth.  Back to the video, even if you could get me to believe the first seven shots were self defense, that eighth shot, I’m convicting on that alone.

I gather that the guy who the kids in the Oxford school video were thinking might be the shooter at the door was actually a cop sweeping the building who just chose to sound like a "kid" by saying "bro" to gain their confidence.  The mental agility of the kids to not let him in seems like legit paranoia for the situation.

I'm hearing also that Tate charged the shooter.  I am dubious about that but if true, that's pretty damn heroic. 

11 hours ago, Archie said:

Apparently the guy in the wheelchair had a knife.  Why don't you let the facts come out before you crucify someone.  I know some of you like to assume things you have no idea about so remember this is the USA and a person is presumed innocent until proven guilty.  

If he had a semi-automatic rifle, he'd be a hero. 

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

I gather that the guy who the kids in the Oxford school video were thinking might be the shooter at the door was actually a cop sweeping the building who just chose to sound like a "kid" by saying "bro" to gain their confidence.  The mental agility of the kids to not let him in seems like legit paranoia for the situation.

I'm hearing also that Tate charged the shooter.  I am dubious about that but if true, that's pretty damn heroic. 

It was confirmed by the sheriff yesterday that it was not the shooter.  They said it was likely a plains clothes officer.  Absolute smart move by the kids though.

37 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

So,  just checking to see if the bleeding heart liberals kicked the kid loose yet? 

Oh, you mean he's still charged with murder?   Damned Liberals.  They just won't let you play with your god-given guns.  

Too bad they can't be like those Conservative Law & Order Texans who let kids who shoot up schools go home

Wait, weren't you calling for the moderators to kick Archie off of this forum because of a dig at the Texas kid that went home after shooting up his school?   Now that you've figured out how it fits in a narrative you agree with, comments about that are fine?

7 hours ago, ewsieg said:

Back to the video, even if you could get me to believe the first seven shots were self defense, that eighth shot, I’m convicting on that alone.

Clarifying this for those that don't want to watch the video.  When he shoots, he shoots 8 times total, but it's 7 immediate shots, pause, 8th shot.  

7 hours ago, ewsieg said:

I certainly am more of a “why didn’t you just listen”, but even with that, there are various degrees.  If he had a knife and no cop was there and managed to kill the clerk that was just standing there it would have been a real life version of the Austin Powers steamroll scene.

IMO, you looked at the facts of Rittenhouse vs the feeling that it wasn’t right.  Yes, some stuff might mitigate what that video shows. although I’m pretty sure it was a white victim and the police department already fired the guy so take that for what it’s worth.  Back to the video, even if you could get me to believe the first seven shots were self defense, that eighth shot, I’m convicting on that alone.

When we discussed Rittenhouse all the facts had been out for a long time.  Even then a couple things came out at trial that was new.  All I'm saying with the officer is wait for all the detail to come out.  He might be 1000% guilty or he might not.  A police officer is different than the everyday civilian carrying a concealed handgun.  The officer has a duty to protect the public and him or herself.  If the guy in the wheelchair had a knife and if the officers felt he was a danger to others they couldn't let him go back in the store.   What would have happened had the guy went back in the store and stabbed someone or took hostages?  Just because he's in a wheelchair doesn't make him harmless.

In all officer involved shootings there is one thing in common and that is they don't shoot just once.  They are trained to remove the threat and fire multiple times.  The police bureaucrats may have jumped the gun and fired the officer or maybe they know things that haven't been released.  When all is said and done the officer might spend the rest of his life in prison or he might sue for back pay and reinstatement.  Nobody here knows they just think the bad guy is the one with the gun legally.   There is a lot of jumping to conclusions and bad information on the politics part of this forum.

I've seen a lot of video's that appear pretty damning but as a full investigation comes out, it doesn't look as bad or you see an entirely different side.  This one though, this has the same feeling I had as I did with the Chauvin video, to me at least.

As for a knife, you're right and some of the comments by others about a knife are ridiculous.  It's extremely dangerous.  But this is where I was talking about various degrees of dangerous earlier.  A fit young man with a knife can be on top of you in a blink of an eye at a distance that most people might initially assume is safe.  That wasn't the case here.  

As Hongbit eluded to earlier.  If this guy would have just listened to the cop, none of this would have had to happen.  And if he was tasered, or knocked over with something and dragged away from the knife before being aggressively (but within reason) detained, I would have defended the cop from anyone complaining they were too rough with that exact statement.  But C'mon...

1 hour ago, Archie said:

When we discussed Rittenhouse all the facts had been out for a long time.  Even then a couple things came out at trial that was new.  All I'm saying with the officer is wait for all the detail to come out.  He might be 1000% guilty or he might not.  A police officer is different than the everyday civilian carrying a concealed handgun.  The officer has a duty to protect the public and him or herself.  If the guy in the wheelchair had a knife and if the officers felt he was a danger to others they couldn't let him go back in the store.   What would have happened had the guy went back in the store and stabbed someone or took hostages?  Just because he's in a wheelchair doesn't make him harmless.

In all officer involved shootings there is one thing in common and that is they don't shoot just once.  They are trained to remove the threat and fire multiple times.  The police bureaucrats may have jumped the gun and fired the officer or maybe they know things that haven't been released.  When all is said and done the officer might spend the rest of his life in prison or he might sue for back pay and reinstatement.  Nobody here knows they just think the bad guy is the one with the gun legally.   There is a lot of jumping to conclusions and bad information on the politics part of this forum.

I’m beyond comfortable saying the person who wasn’t in the wheelchair that killed the guy that was in the wheelchair moving away at about 9 inches per second with 9 shots in the back from about 15 feet away is the bad guy in this situation. 

Cops are not allowed to just kill anyone. Even if the person is not doing what they are told. We don’t live in a police state.  

The governor in Pennsylvania vetoed a bill that would have allowed open carry anywhere in the state without permit or background check similar to Texas. This Republican legislature also passed restrictive election bills making it harder to vote. Republicans are literally making it easier to own and carry a gun than vote. I wonder if in Canada it is easier to vote or own a gun? What type of country, that calls itself a democracy, would make access to guns easier than voting? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ewsieg said:

I've seen a lot of video's that appear pretty damning but as a full investigation comes out, it doesn't look as bad or you see an entirely different side.  This one though, this has the same feeling I had as I did with the Chauvin video, to me at least.

As for a knife, you're right and some of the comments by others about a knife are ridiculous.  It's extremely dangerous.  But this is where I was talking about various degrees of dangerous earlier.  A fit young man with a knife can be on top of you in a blink of an eye at a distance that most people might initially assume is safe.  That wasn't the case here.  

As Hongbit eluded to earlier.  If this guy would have just listened to the cop, none of this would have had to happen.  And if he was tasered, or knocked over with something and dragged away from the knife before being aggressively (but within reason) detained, I would have defended the cop from anyone complaining they were too rough with that exact statement.  But C'mon...

It looks bad, there's no disagreement on that.  I want to know more before I condemn someone like this.  Its more than political banter of throwing accusations over something.  RIttenhouse looked bad too until we saw the entire video.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Apparently charges against the parents in the Oxford shooting are going to be announced today. 

The kids will most likely spend a good portion of his life behind bars.  The bigger question is will one or both of his parents share the same fate?  Even if convicted, I doubt the parents would get more than a few years but it still destroys their life.  Their life is already destroyed at this point but it doesn't make up for the lost lives.