Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

43 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Bellevue and Lafayette is the area where my grandparents first opened their business way back in the day. That is one desolate and rough area now. I can't imagine why they would hide out in Detroit unless their next move was to sneak into Canada. 

There’s a really nice brewery that opened just a block away (Brewery Faisan), as well as the Detroit City Football Club Clubhouse, but other than that it is indeed pretty desolate. Maybe they knew it was desolate and thought it would be easy to hide. Who knows what these people were thinking as we know they don’t exactly make sound choices. 

2 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

There’s a really nice brewery that opened just a block away (Brewery Faisan), as well as the Detroit City Football Club Clubhouse, but other than that it is indeed pretty desolate. Maybe they knew it was desolate and thought it would be easy to hide. Who knows what these people were thinking as we know they don’t exactly make sound choices. 

The building they were at is some kind of art building and I think they knew the owner.     I don't know if Canada was the plan.  Are they stupid enough to think the Canadian officials wouldn't know who they are?   It may be another country but the authorities at the border work together all the time.    Wait, they are stupid enough.  Sorry to waste your time with such a silly question. 

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The building they were at is some kind of art building and I think they knew the owner.     I don't know if Canada was the plan.  Are they stupid enough to think the Canadian officials wouldn't know who they are?   It may be another country but the authorities at the border work together all the time.    Wait, they are stupid enough.  Sorry to waste your time with such a silly question. 

They just might be dumb enough to try and cross the border, which would have made it easier to get caught. 

8 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Even if they got into Canada, they would be just as wanted and I'm sure the Canadian authorities would be searching just as hard. 

I understand that this case is high profile, and that these are significant charges, but this entire “manhunt” was outrageous.

It is not unusual for someone to take a day or two to turn themselves in when a warrant is issued. What is unusual is for a prosecutor to refuse contact with a defense attorney, hold a press conference as the day ends on a Friday, and then basically turn off the podium and claim “we can’t find them! They’re running!”

McDonald is playing games. She wants public perception to be that these parents were making some break for it, when I think they fully intended to turn themselves in on Monday. If they wanted to go to Florida or Canada, they’d have been there by now. They were hiding from the media circus, as any reasonable person would have.

Since every agency under the sun wants to stick their nose in though, I’m sure the FBI and US Marshals won’t have any problem now that they’re in custody devoting these kinds of resources to finding the 100s of children who go missing from the Michigan foster care system ever year right? Right? No? Hmm.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I understand that this case is high profile, and that these are significant charges, but this entire “manhunt” was outrageous.

It is not unusual for someone to take a day or two to turn themselves in when a warrant is issued. What is unusual is for a prosecutor to refuse contact with a defense attorney, hold a press conference as the day ends on a Friday, and then basically turn off the podium and claim “we can’t find them! They’re running!”

McDonald is playing games. She wants public perception to be that these parents were making some break for it, when I think they fully intended to turn themselves in on Monday. If they wanted to go to Florida or Canada, they’d have been there by now. They were hiding from the media circus, as any reasonable person would have.

Since every agency under the sun wants to stick their nose in though, I’m sure the FBI and US Marshals won’t have any problem now that they’re in custody devoting these kinds of resources to finding the 100s of children who go missing from the Michigan foster care system ever year right? Right? No? Hmm.

everything the prosecutor does - or doesnt do - is for political purposes.

see the jussie smollett trial going on right now in chicago.

I'm not disagreeing with background checks but there needs to be some changes made so they work better.  When myself or anyone goes to buy a gun most times that check takes about 15 minutes but it can take days depending on the how well staffed they are on the government end.  I don't know what they want to do to expand them.  It may be a good plan and maybe not.  No matter what it wouldn't have stopped the kid from getting the gun because the father was the legal purchaser.

There are much bigger issues in the criminal justice system that needs to be looked at.  One of the big ones is proper sentencing,  bail reform and the no bail guidelines in NY and other places.  They let violent offenders walk around free because they don't want to be offensive to certain people.  Other are given light sentences.  For example the two girls who killed the Uber driver in a carjacking in Washington DC.  They are in Juvenile Detention until they are rehabilited or until they are 21 years old at the latest.  They should be spending a lot of time in prison.  You like to blame things on the GOP but its the democrats that are letting these criminals walk free and continue to commit violent crimes.  

2 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Been to Faisan right before the pandemic.  My running store sells their beer so I get it pretty regularly. Good stuff. That area is close to west village and is getting some spillover as the Brooklyn trust fund kids are pushing out the normal people.