Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

5 minutes ago, casimir said:

There were probably common sense ways for the "parents" (if one can call them that) to avoid the media circus that would have also avoided the death and turmoil that we saw this week, but I'm probably just speculating here.

I think avoiding the media is nearly impossible.  When you are in their position I don't think they are getting much help from anyone.  The last big case was the Landry case in Florida.  The media followed the parents of the boy all the time, flew drones over their home and used their neighbor's property to get closer.  A lot of the media act more like activists than journalists in these situations and I don't blame people for trying to avoid them. 

I don't think any of us have sympathy for the parents but think about the position they are in.  Their child will likely spend decades in prison being Bubba's girlfriend and he will never live a normal life.  They will go broke paying for attorneys and if they have any money left there will be civil suits from the victims.  Now they face years of jail time for themselves.  Even if they don't it will be hard for them to get jobs or be out in public.  They will have to relocate and the stigma will follow them where ever they go.  Their life is crap and their future isn't any better.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The child will almost certainly receive a life sentence. The only thing I could see changing that is if the prosecutor will offer a small carrot (like life with the possibility of parole instead of without the possibility) to the child in exchange for testimony against the parents.

Whitmer recently signed a bill regarding minors charged as adults and sentencing guidelines for them.  I don't know if or how it will affect this case.  Maybe it won't.

22 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't think the parents are blameless. They should live with the full guilt of what their son did, their role in it, and what their role could have been in preventing it, for the rest of their lives. They are not good people and they are not good parents.

But they still deserve their day in court.

Yeah, well, they get to live, unlike some of the victims.  So pardon me for not having sympathy for the "parents" having a bit of uncomfortable time this week.

24 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Says the guy who is supposedly a "weapons expert".

Exactly!  Any firearms person makes light of someone using the word "clip" to describe a magazine.  Using the word clip is a indication they don't know much about firearms.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Let's think about the position that these monsters have put other families in.

They are in the position they should be in.   If other families don't learn from this and take measures to secure their guns, then they should be in the same position should someone use those guns.    Enough plea bargains, enough probation, that doesn't work.   It didn't work with multiple DUI offenders and it won't work here.  (same goes for those making school threats- serious or not, no more deals).  

When little kids get hold of a gun and accidentally shoot themselves or their siblings or friends, the parents are often arrested for not securing the guns.   How is this different?    

I love the fact that their own social media post (at least mom's) clarified that they did indeed buy a 15 year old a gun that he's not legally allowed to own in Michigan, the one he used to murder 4 kids.   Makes the case a lot easier for the prosecution.      It's amazing how many of these idiots so concerned with government prying into their lives end up burning themselves on social media.  You don't own your posts,  Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Snapchat own them.  Read the fine print before you click "I Agree".    Just like the owner of the server on this site technically owns the posts on it.   If you really want privacy, you should stay offline as much as possible.   Good luck with that.   I think you'd have to build a shack in the middle of nowhere like the Unabomber.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Archie said:

I think avoiding the media is nearly impossible.  When you are in their position I don't think they are getting much help from anyone.  The last big case was the Landry case in Florida.  The media followed the parents of the boy all the time, flew drones over their home and used their neighbor's property to get closer.  A lot of the media act more like activists than journalists in these situations and I don't blame people for trying to avoid them. 

I don't think any of us have sympathy for the parents but think about the position they are in.  Their child will likely spend decades in prison being Bubba's girlfriend and he will never live a normal life.  They will go broke paying for attorneys and if they have any money left there will be civil suits from the victims.  Now they face years of jail time for themselves.  Even if they don't it will be hard for them to get jobs or be out in public.  They will have to relocate and the stigma will follow them where ever they go.  Their life is crap and their future isn't any better.

I really couldn't give a fuck what they or their son will go through.  I care about the parents and friends and families of those 4 children who were killed.  Imagine how they will have to live the rest of their lives.  

Also don't care what Brian Laundrie's piece of shit parents went through either.  They knew their son was a murderer and let him leave the home with a gun and lied to law enforcement.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Archie said:

Its just proof that you and many of your fellow liberals don't know what you are talking about when discussing firearms.

with all due respect Archie, if you really think using clip and magazine as interchangeable indicates anything about what someone knows about firearms, I honestly would have to say it says more about your knowledge of how language works on the net than others' knowledge of how firearms work.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yeah, you guys don't know anything about assistive devices.

Wife and I are both runners. When we are near our home and we see a runner we check them out to see if we know them 

wife is a therapist. If we are downriver where she works and she sees someone in a wheelchair or on crutches or a Walker she’s:

1) checking out to see what kind of gear it is

2) checking to see if they are using it correctly.  Very often people with walkers and  crutches don’t need them based on how they are being used

3)  checking to see if it’s a former patient. 

17 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

with all due respect Archie, if you really think using clip and magazine as interchangeable indicates anything about what someone knows about firearms, I honestly would have to say it says more about your knowledge of how language works on the net than others' knowledge of how firearms work.

I would add that it's the one political issue where requisite knowledge is often treated as a requirement to opine, at least by some.

Because people comment on Healthcare, taxes, monetary policy all the time without knowing what the fuck they are talking about.

21 hours ago, Archie said:

Their child will likely spend decades in prison being Bubba's girlfriend and he will never live a normal life.  They will go broke paying for attorneys and if they have any money left there will be civil suits from the victims.  Now they face years of jail time for themselves.  Even if they don't it will be hard for them to get jobs or be out in public.  They will have to relocate and the stigma will follow them where ever they go.  Their life is crap and their future isn't any better.

Good.

• Like 1