Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

20 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I approve. The same issues of unwanted pregnancies apply to countries outside of the US as well. 

So, suppose in situations that, after being “informed about abortion” a majority of women, we’re talking international here, wanted to give their child up for adoption as opposed to abortion. Would you also approve of your tax dollars supporting international adoptions? 

13 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Different dynamic. Our economy requires dual income for families especially non college educated. Even with the wife working you had both parents in the home. 

Of course. Time changes dynamics. Just saying, that thinking being widespread is within my living memory. 

12 hours ago, 1776 said:

So, suppose in situations that, after being “informed about abortion” a majority of women, we’re talking international here, wanted to give their child up for adoption as opposed to abortion. Would you also approve of your tax dollars supporting international adoptions? 

If it came out of the US defense budget, sure. 

There was an episode of Seinfeld where George decided to do the exact opposite of what he would normally do.  His life got much better.    The Crumbleys need to try this.  Whatever instinct you have, do the opposite because everything you've done since Thanksgiving has been a complete opposite of what you needed to do.  I am sure it pre-dates Thanksgiving, but I am just going on what we've seen so far.   Maybe there is another side to this, but when you try to flee (and don't give me this bullshit they were turning themselves in, they were hiding out in a basement in a Warehouse), we find it hard to believe that you've made a lot of right decisions.    Loved your guns more than your kid.  That's sick.  

33 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think I heard on the radio that Parents Of The Year  James and Jennifer Crumbley  have hired an expensive attorney for their case, but their son?   Yeah, not so much.      

yes, they have Larry Nassar's defense attorney.  Kid has public defender.  Funny how that worked.

25 minutes ago, pfife said:

yes, they have Larry Nassar's defense attorney.  Kid has public defender.  Funny how that worked.

actually make sense though. Defending the parent's case is going to be of interest to gun advocacy groups. Those same groups don't care if the boy is found guilty because 'people kill people' is consistent with the narrative.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

actually make sense though. Defending the parent's case is going to be of interest to gun advocacy groups. Those same groups don't care if the boy is found guilty because 'people kill people' is consistent with the narrative.

See, but if I was the parent, I would demand that they defend him too.............

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

While I agree, sounds like they got this lawyer before any advocates had a chance to stand up.  

6 hours ago, pfife said:

I didn't think I could feel sorry for this kid several days ago.....

3 hours ago, Archie said:

According to the article I was reading today (Freep?) the attorney for the kid is a good attorney that is highly recommended for her ability in criminal law and with juvenile law.  It doesn't sound like he got the run of the mill PD. 

He got a PD, there are plenty of quality lawyers that still act as PD's from time to time.  There is a part of me, that believes in this country, believes in it's views, and wants him to get a great defense.  Than there is a large part that just doesn't care.

Personally I think PD's get a bad rep from movies and crime shows on TV.

I used to belong to an APBA League, one of our members was a supervisor in the Cook County Public Defender's office. Nice guy, had his quirks and smoked bad cigars when we played face to face, but he knew his stuff and if I needed an attorney to defend me I'd consider him if he was in private practice.

Long ago in a galaxy not too far away, my son got into a spot of trouble. On a recommendation from a business acquaintance we hired an attorney. Walked into the office, it was the firm that handled Jeffery Dahmer and Mark Chmura's cases.  The case was never prosecuted but the guy they sent us seemed nice.

18 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

So teachers have to be armed and psychiatric profilers now? I can't wait until a school sends home a black kid for drawings and everyone gets outraged. 

For real... We need more social workers, counselors, etc.  People trained in detecting this kind of thing.  But to do that we need more of them and to get more of them we need to pay the field a salary to attract people to it. That means raising property taxes in Michigan.  Our millages have consistently been voted down.  I have a social worker friend.  Got her master's from UM, one of the top schools in that field.  He started out in debt and has made under $50K a year for the last 25 years.  For most social workers it's poverty level wages.

So this is the result.

What a great recruiting tool for more teachers.  Become proficient in firearms and spend all it takes to do that.  Don't forget the gun and ammo.  Study psychology and in particular the kind of thing that would make you spot a killer. Learn the field you are going to teach.  Learn how to teach..... I'm sure I am leaving out a lot of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

What a great recruiting tool for more teachers.  Become proficient in firearms and spend all it takes to do that.  Don't forget the gun and ammo.  Study psychology and in particular the kind of thing that would make you spot a killer. Learn the field you are going to teach.  Learn how to teach..... I'm sure I am leaving out a lot of it.

That's on top of taking care of your own family, especially if you have young kids. I imagine it's even harder these days with older kids as well

25 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Plymouth-Canton-Salem High School on Lockdown After Possible Threat

DAMNIT!!! Here we are again with this. Plymouth-Canton is where I graduated from HS. I certainly hope everything is ok over there and that this was a precautionary measure, not an actual incident.

These threats have been happening all over, and there needs to be serious consequences for those making fake threats.