Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

I read back through this topic and realized this is your political soapbox to yammer on about guns.  A couple weeks ago a guy drove through a Christmas parade severly injuring dozens and killing six people. There's not a peep from you about this guy, the tool he used for killing, or the fact he was out on rediculously low bail from a liberal prosecutor.  Based on how a you blame a gun I assume you blame the SUV for this heinous crime and killing. Do you people own killing machines called automobiles or do you ride bicycles?

12 minutes ago, Archie said:

I read back through this topic and realized this is your political soapbox to yammer on about guns.  A couple weeks ago a guy drove through a Christmas parade severly injuring dozens and killing six people. There's not a peep from you about this guy, the tool he used for killing, or the fact he was out on rediculously low bail from a liberal prosecutor.  Based on how a you blame a gun I assume you blame the SUV for this heinous crime and killing. Do you people own killing machines called automobiles or do you ride bicycles?

You are right. We didn’t talk in the gun thread about a guy who didn’t use a gun to kill people.  It’s not as controversial because Ron Desantis said it’s ok to drive cars thru parades. 

10 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Archie still pushing that automobiles = guns faulty logic I see. 

You guys don't care about what happened in Oxford any more than you care about what happened in Waukasha.  Its all political about banning guns and the liberal agenda.

Edited by Archie

2 minutes ago, Archie said:

You guys don't care about what happened in Oxford any more than you care about what happened in Waukasha.  Its all political about banning guns and the liberal agenda.

Again for the 582662th time. Automobiles are made for transportation. Guns are made to kill. It’s not hard to understand. 

19 minutes ago, Archie said:

Maybe there’s no mention of the parade incident here because it’s not actually pertinent to the topic of the thread?

also it’s been clearly stated by many in this thread that only guns are specifically designed to kill people. Not cars, not knives, not airplanes, etc. Also, since you don’t seem to be aware, car ownership is actually very highly regulated.

35 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

Oh, I didn't know we were horse trading. So when abortions are banned, then we get gun control? 

If we were horse trading over abortion law, I'd go in a different direction. My opening position would be a national DNA database, so the father of every one of those children carried to term could be identified and required to be financially responsible for it until it was 18. Put that on the books and watch the demand for abortions in the US go to zero.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

If we were horse trading over abortion law, my opening position would be a national DNA database, so the father of every one of those children carried to term could be identified and required to be financially responsible for it until it was 18.

Fantastic Idea! I have an uncle who was a dead beat. He would work somewhere long enough for the government to hit his check for child support (1980'-90's). Nowadays it's alot harder to get away with that crap.

7 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

Maybe there’s no mention of the parade incident here because it’s not actually pertinent to the topic of the thread?

also it’s been clearly stated by many in this thread that only guns are specifically designed to kill people. Not cars, not knives, not airplanes, etc. Also, since you don’t seem to be aware, car ownership is actually very highly regulated.

Yup. If Archie wants to start a thread about responsible car ownership, he can have at it. Otherwise, his nonsensical comparison is just a red herring. 

7 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Yup. If Archie wants to start a thread about responsible car ownership, he can have at it. Otherwise, his nonsensical comparison is just a red herring. 

Just ask: "How many murders are committed with automobiles in the US in a year as compared to handguns" and the issue frames itself easily. The simple way to put it is that >99.9% of vehicle deaths in the US are accidental. Probably 95% of gun deaths are intentional - though I wouldn't be surprised if the 5% accidental guess it too low, it is sadly not all that unusual for people do kill themselves by accident with their own guns.

It is not logically conceivable to remove the possibility of accidental death in the real world, though we work toward that aim constantly. Conversely, not only is It is easy to imagine a world with out significant gun violence, I can, amazingly,  simply look beyond the border and see any number of them!

37 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

We can't have this conversation until he can properly identify the specific car including make, model, year, engine size and transmission and in the exact terminology.  

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I agree with everything you are saying. I also feel a HUGE problem in the Black community is a lack of a family structure. I would be interested to see the stats of married families or at the very least the amount mother and father homes. I bet the number is extremly low. Compare that to black families in the 60-70's I bet it's night and day. 

This is the answer I was fishing for earlier today when I asked what was different now as opposed to 75 years ago with the black families in America. It’s the lack of two parent families!
Currently, and for some time now, the number of single parent homes for black Americans is around 70%. Of course, the single parent is most always the mother. It is an ongoing tragedy in this country. 

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

it is sadly not all that unusual for people do kill themselves by accident with their own guns.

Tragically this is what happened with my childhood friend's brother. He was "showing off" with it and shot himself. 

It's too bad though that I don't really care about gun safety, and just use it to earn liberal points.

4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

At least Republicans want to force more single women to have babies. 

US President Joe Biden has reversed a ban on federal funds going to international aid groups that perform or inform about abortions.

The above subtitle is from an article from the BBC on January 28th of this year. I don’t think I need to post the entire article. I know Joe “is a good Catholic,” but what is your take on the above? 

3 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Yes, the fabric of our society is unraveling. I don't mean it as a religious thing either. Two income families goes a long way, dead beat Dad's everywhere.....

I had to chuckle at this a little because I'm old enough to remember when wives working outside the home for a second family income was itself considered an unraveling of society's fabric.

3 hours ago, Archie said:

Over forty-five thousand gun deaths occurred in the United States last year. How many murders last year from people being plowed over by SUVs driven through a crowd? Thirty? Thirty-five?

Come on.

Edited by chasfh

32 minutes ago, 1776 said:

US President Joe Biden has reversed a ban on federal funds going to international aid groups that perform or inform about abortions.

The above subtitle is from an article from the BBC on January 28th of this year. I don’t think I need to post the entire article. I know Joe “is a good Catholic,” but what is your take on the above? 

I approve. The same issues of unwanted pregnancies apply to countries outside of the US as well. 

23 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I had to chuckle at this a little because I'm old enough to remember when wives working outside the home for a second family income was itself considered an unraveling of society's fabric.

Different dynamic. Our economy requires dual income for families especially non college educated. Even with the wife working you had both parents in the home.