Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

7 hours ago, oblong said:

The gun owners I know already do this.

Same here.  Which is why this law should be supported by all, including the NRA.  But nope, won't happen.

That said, i'm not sure how much this law will help either.  Those responsible already do this, now we have to hope the irresponsible follow suit because it's now a law on the books.  Still, if it helps in one case, it's worth it.

7 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

I do not know about the "but Freedom" comment, but I agree that owners of firearms whose kid uses that firearm to hurt or kill someone should be held responsible and do jail time.

is the equivalent cars or perhaps alcohol?

if you give your kid a car and he kills someone, i dont think parents should be held liable criminally.  however, if they give their kid alcohol and they kill someone  they probably should.

im not sure where guns fall on that scale, but its probably closer to alcohol considering guns are inherently dangerous.

1 hour ago, pfife said:

It's awesome that this dude is celebrated b/c he shot liberals.    Not at all fucked up. 

All coming from the same folks who trash Greta Thunberg.

Almost like the concern isn't about using young people for political ends but rather what political ends they are being used for 🤔

8 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Ohio, I just don’t get this at all. 

Doesn't make any sense at all.

I've been driving for over 30 years.  Have not had a moving violation for 20 years.  Yet my vehicle requires for governance than a machine designed to kill?

And for the political party that "backs the blue", how does this accomplish that?  Wouldn't you want patrol units to be notified if they are dealing with someone that's packing heat?

Edited by casimir

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Doesn't make any sense at all.

I've been driving for over 30 years.  Have not had a moving violation for 20 years.  Yet my vehicle requires for governance than a machine designed to kill?

And for the political party that "backs the blue", how does this accomplish that?  Wouldn't you want patrol units to be notified if they are dealing with someone that's packing heat?

When they get their wish for a citizen army and patrols this just makes it easier.  The cops don't have to get involved.  As long as you "look" ok, meaning you're white, have a goatee, and a cap on with a tractor logo, it's all good.  If you are a minority and your cap looks a little flashy then things get dicey.

19 minutes ago, oblong said:

When they get their wish for a citizen army and patrols this just makes it easier.  The cops don't have to get involved.  As long as you "look" ok, meaning you're white, have a goatee, and a cap on with a tractor logo, it's all good.  If you are a minority and your cap looks a little flashy then things get dicey.

The police have gone though an interesting transition my lifetime. Rationally, they know that nothing makes their jobs harder or more dangerous than the ubiquity of guns, and PDs in the main used to support gun control. But what has happened in this generation is that the membership of PDs have become radicalized toward RW philosophies, and so have become guns advocates even in contradiction to their own daily best interests.

13 hours ago, buddha said:

is the equivalent cars or perhaps alcohol?

if you give your kid a car and he kills someone, i dont think parents should be held liable criminally.  however, if they give their kid alcohol and they kill someone  they probably should.

im not sure where guns fall on that scale, but its probably closer to alcohol considering guns are inherently dangerous.

I had about a page of discussion on this topic typed up, but on this board it would just get flamed to death so I will keep my opinions to myself.

11 hours ago, smr-nj said:

Totally fucked up

Shameful

11 hours ago, pfife said:

It's awesome that this dude is celebrated b/c he shot liberals.    Not at all fucked up. 

Almost as fucked up as people cheering conservative deaths because of covid...ALL over this board, but let the sounding board continue..

and to protect others.  Both through covid and due to lack of care and resources for non covid issues that necessitates a trip to the ER or hospital visit.

95% of covid hospitalizations could be prevented now but it's not due to stubborness, ignorance, and idiocy.

1 hour ago, John_Brian_K said:

Almost as fucked up as people cheering conservative deaths because of covid...ALL over this board, but let the sounding board continue..

Many people have observed the irony of Trumpers killing off their own supporters by encouraging the stupidity of resisting vaccinations and masking.  But "cheering the deaths of conservatives"?  You are better than that.

5 minutes ago, oblong said:

and to protect others.  Both through covid and due to lack of care and resources for non covid issues that necessitates a trip to the ER or hospital visit.

95% of covid hospitalizations could be prevented now but it's not due to stubborness, ignorance, and idiocy.

Yep this too. 

1 hour ago, John_Brian_K said:

I haven't done this.

but I'd say cheering death is way less fucked up than causing death.  YMMV.

Edited by pfife

I think I may have misinterpreted the comparison.

"What it feels like is the conservatives are celebrating a kid for killing liberals."

To compare to the board re: conservatives/covid:

"What it feels like is the liberals are celebrating a virus for killing conservatives."

If this is a fair summary of the comparison, I do not agree that the board is celebrating a virus for killing conservatives.