Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

1 hour ago, Archie said:

You anti gun people can only see one side.  While we stop making guns, let stop making anything that is used to kill people.  The will be no more vehicles produced because they kill people everyday and are used as a weapon to kill.  Stop producing knives, hammers and even staplers for the same reason.  By all means stop building and flying airplanes.  We all know what they are capable of. 

See how rediculous your anti gun rhetoric is. If you are afraid of guns or don't like them you should not have them but it doesn't mean other people aren't capable of owning and using them properly. Same as vehicles, knives, airplanes etc.

This is a flawed argument that is most often used by stupid people   

It should be very clear to anyone what the difference is between a gun and a car, knife, airplane, or whatever else you want to try to use in your stupid rationalization.

A gun is a weapon.  It is used to inflict bodily harm or physical damage.  That Is what it was intended for and is  its only use. 

Everything that you mentioned has a different primary use and multiple secondary uses of which doing harm or physical damage happens to be one.    

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Archie said:

You anti gun people can only see one side.  While we stop making guns, let stop making anything that is used to kill people.  The will be no more vehicles produced because they kill people everyday and are used as a weapon to kill.  Stop producing knives, hammers and even staplers for the same reason.  By all means stop building and flying airplanes.  We all know what they are capable of. 

See how rediculous your anti gun rhetoric is. If you are afraid of guns or don't like them you should not have them but it doesn't mean other people aren't capable of owning and using them properly. Same as vehicles, knives, airplanes etc.

The banning guns and airplanes has to be the most tiring of logical fallacies. Guns are made to kill. Vehicles and airplanes are not. It’s that simple. 

1 hour ago, Archie said:

You anti gun people can only see one side. 

As opposed to Archie's world, where everyone who doesn't agree 100% is a gun grabber?

Maybe, just maybe, the only two options in this debate aren't "unfettered access to guns" and "eliminate all the guns". 

4 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Isn't part of the problem that comments from Archie about the importance of safely handling weapons aren't being matched by public policy more broadly?

My state just became a Constitutional Carry state during this recent legislature... no need for a Concealed Carry permit or training, just carry it as you please. I'm not familiar with Michigan's laws, but I'd be surprised if there weren't a significant subset of the state GOP who would love to adopt such a law as well.

I take Archie at face value that he believes in proper training and handling of a weapon, but in a country of 330m, the honor system ain't gonna cut it - it needs to be reflected in policy. If anything, we are going backward on that front.

This just baffles me. It feels as though Republican legislators simply want the people to shoot and kill each other on a massive scale, since they definitely know that this will happen, and yet they still want to make guns as easy to obtain as any items you might impulse-buy at a Walmart.

I'm still trying to figure out why they would want this.

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This just baffles me. It feels as though Republican legislators simply want the people to shoot and kill each other on a massive scale, since they definitely know that this will happen, and yet they still want to make guns as easy to obtain as any items you might impulse-buy at a Walmart.

Insanity or evil - take your choice.

46 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

As opposed to Archie's world, where everyone who doesn't agree 100% is a gun grabber?

Maybe, just maybe, the only two options in this debate aren't "unfettered access to guns" and "eliminate all the guns". 

That's a good point.  To most people its like the abortion argument in that its all or nothing.  They need to start properly enforcing the laws on the books and start punishing people beyond a slap on the wrist for their crimes no matter who or what they are.  Yesterday the prosecutor in the Oxford case said we need more gun laws.  The kids already broke several laws so what makes you think he would abide by any more laws.

43 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Banning the manufacture of semi-automatic weapons is not some radical new thought.  Your country did exactly that from 1994 to 2004.  It even called them "assault weapons" in the legislation lol.

You should just give it break. You are so far out in left field that your not even in the ballpark anymore.  I'm trying to be nice but you really have no idea what you are talking about in regard to firearms in the US and its more obvious with every post.

5 minutes ago, Archie said:

They need to start properly enforcing the laws on the books and start punishing people beyond a slap on the wrist for their crimes no matter who or what they are.  

I'd be more receptive of this argument if states like mine weren't busy eliminating existing regulations on guns (as I mentioned before).

2 minutes ago, Archie said:

You should just give it break. You are so far out in left field that your not even in the ballpark anymore.  I'm trying to be nice but you really have no idea what you are talking about in regard to firearms in the US and its more obvious with every post.

I never said even once that I understand the attitude to guns in the US.  It is impossible, bewildering, for anyone who was not raised there.  No one who lives in any other country in the world could even begin to understand it.  There is no disagreement on that point.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I never said even once that I understand the attitude to guns in the US.  It is impossible, bewildering, for anyone who was not raised there.  No one who lives in any other country in the world could even begin to understand it.  There is no disagreement on that point.

It's bewildering to many Americans. For instance, I can go to a store and buy more rounds of ammunition than Sudafed. 

30 minutes ago, Archie said:

They need to start properly enforcing the laws on the books and start punishing people beyond a slap on the wrist for their crimes no matter who or what they are.  Yesterday the prosecutor in the Oxford case said we need more gun laws.  The kids already broke several laws so what makes you think he would abide by any more laws.

It doesn't matter if he is predisposed to follow the law if the gun had not been available. It may be hard for the government to control personal motivation, it is easier by far (even if not always 100% here either) to control economic activity. Pretty hard to hide a gun factory and most overseas manufacturers would still have enough legitimate business in the US (LEO, those bolt action hunters....)  that allowing their product to be smuggled in the face of things like US banking or SEC sanctions would probably be a losing proposition.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

They are more afraid of being called a “pussy” by their Neanderthal voters than people dying. That’s what it is. Macho bullshit. 

We could end the gun problem tomorrow if we could just figure out a way for gun control to be a vehicle for the GOP to gain control and make money to line their pockets.

That’s all they care about now.  

The Republicans would flip their position in a second if it would help them win.   They could easily convince their supporters since most have been brainwashed to the point of zombie status already.   

Edited by Hongbit

16 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The constitution says the right to bear arms, but what if we ban all ammunition? The Republicans would still get to play with their penis enhancers and we would all be safe.  

the thing that is so ridiculous is how is dead children even a partisan issue? How do we come to a society where half the people think their right to go out and put holes in pieces of paper at the range is actually more important than the lives of the kids they are going to end up relying on to change their diapers at the end of their lives? And half the leadership caste of the nation without the.....leadership --- to try to turn their own followers around?

The 2A is not the problem. We've amended the constitution 30 times and we can amend it 30 times more. The problem is a population that is all too happy to embrace death, to count it as a small thing as long it's the other guy and their recreations are not inconvenienced. If there is a God like the one in the OT who had a penchant for judging nations as nations, this one has chosen the road to perdition with its eyes wide open.

Edited by gehringer_2

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

the thing that is so ridiculous is how is dead children even a partisan issue? How do we come to a society where half the people think their right to go put holes in pieces of paper at the range is actually more important than the lives of the kids they are going to end up relying on to clean their diapers at the end of their lives? And half the leadership caste of a nation without the.....leadership --- to try to turn their own followers around?

The 2A is not the problem. We've amended the constitution 30 times and we can amend it 30 times more. The problem is a population that is all too happy to embrace death, to count it as a small thing as long it's the other guy and their recreations are are not inconvenienced. If there is a God like the one in the OT who had a penchant for judging nations as nations, this one has chosen the road to perdition with its eyes wide open.

What are you talking about, Republicans are going to ban abortion. They love life and children. Just ignore that the pro life state Texas executes more people than any other state in the country and allows you to carry guns anywhere and any place. 

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

I have lived here my entire life and I have zero understanding of our gun culture.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

We could end the gun problem tomorrow if we could just figure out a way for gun control to be a vehicle for the GOP to gain control and make money to line their pockets.

That’s all they care about now.  

The Republicans would flip their position in a second if it would help them win.   They could easily convince their supporters since most have been brainwashed to the point of zombie status already.   

Blacks and Trans people need to take up a pro gun stance... that'll scare them.

2 hours ago, Archie said:

That's a good point.  To most people its like the abortion argument in that its all or nothing.  They need to start properly enforcing the laws on the books and start punishing people beyond a slap on the wrist for their crimes no matter who or what they are.  Yesterday the prosecutor in the Oxford case said we need more gun laws.  The kids already broke several laws so what makes you think he would abide by any more laws.

They are already enforcing the laws on the books and are punishing people beyond a slap on the wrist. Cruel and unusual punishment won’t reduce crime. It never did.

4 hours ago, Archie said:

You anti gun people can only see one side. 

I mostly see the side where people get killed.

However, I understand that people like to hunt and some people even eat what they hunt.  I understand that some like to protect their home.  What I don't understand is people carrying guns around everywhere they go, people owning dozens of guns, people making guns the most important thing in their lives and won't even consider any regulations, people who think they need guns to protect them from our military,  people who see a school of kindergartners get shot up and their only solution is more guns!  I view that all of that as disturbing

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1