Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

7 minutes ago, pfife said:

Rittenhouse wasn't in his town when he killed people.   He wasn't even in his home state. 

Then again, small town Aldean is from Macon so apparently the cosplay makes for consistent comparison 

He was right across the border, closer to Kenosha (when he lived with his mom) than I live to Detroit, which I know isn't 'my' town, but I treat it like it is.  If I remember correctly, he worked in Kenosha and his dad was even closer.  To him, it was his community he was defending (in such an incredibly naive way).

1 minute ago, ewsieg said:

He was right across the border, closer to Kenosha (when he lived with his mom) than I live to Detroit, which I know isn't 'my' town, but I treat it like it is.  If I remember correctly, he worked in Kenosha and his dad was even closer.  To him, it was his community he was defending (in such an incredibly naive way).

Gotcha, so we agree it wasn't his town.   Cool!

24 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Protests come in every shape and size and even small towns have had them.  If a small protest, with a smaller number of rioters started looting/burning in a small town, maybe there is no difference, maybe Aldean is right and it wouldn't end up well for them.  

I know this site hates Rittenhouse, but he's a hero to some folks on the right because he didn't want to see his town destroyed.  He had pride in his community.  Aldean is basically defending that stance, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just the (literal) execution of it that becomes the problem.

It wasn't Rittenhouse's town or even his state.  He was a misguided kid looking for trouble and he found it.  He is no better than the rogue BLM rioters  

3 minutes ago, pfife said:

Gotcha, so we agree it wasn't his town.   Cool!

Quick google search and his dad lived there.... so 50% of the time it was his town.   Why so many folks continue to point 'he came from another state' without taking a second to look at a map and understand the story is beyond me.  

9 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It wasn't Rittenhouse's town or even his state.  He was a misguided kid looking for trouble and he found it.  He is no better than the rogue BLM rioters  

His intent was much better, but his naitivity left a few people dead.  I wish he would understand that better rather than being paraded around as a hero from the far right.

55 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Quick google search and his dad lived there.... so 50% of the time it was his town.   Why so many folks continue to point 'he came from another state' without taking a second to look at a map and understand the story is beyond me.  

Gotcha so it wasn't his town, glad we agree!

8 hours ago, ewsieg said:

If CMT said they banned it because it was simply not a good song, i'd find that acceptable, but because of the politics? Seriously?  I just saw an ABC clip and they are talking about how it puts protesters in a bad light...so we're back to pretending there was no rioting in the BLM protests?   

The angry old man in me has no problem with these lyrics and wishes the rioters in the BLM protests 'got theirs'.  That said, based on the beginning of the video where it shows the American flag, I certainly hope Aldean would be equally alright if everyone that went into the Capitol on 1/6 came out in a body bag.  I know there is a part of me that wouldn't have minded.

To clarify though, that's just the anger of these situations talking and not what I think should be done in a civilized society.  He wrote a song about it, that's what artist do, even the ****ty ones like Aldean.

No, not seriously.

CMT did not ban the song because of the "politics". They banned it because the explicit threat of violence against people merely for protesting cops and the flag, the putting of protesters in the same category as carjackers and robbers, and the encouraging of people to use violence against all of them, creates a clear line of liability for them.

CMT is not some Kremlin-funded bomb-throwing MAGA racket like Overthrow America Network. CMT ispart of MTV Entertainment Group, a division of Paramount, which means they have to do business with the rest of America, including its judicial system, and they don't want to be held liable for their part in whatever might happen arising from disseminating the ideas in this song.

Funny how you leapt right to BLM. Even Jason Aldean didn't go all the way there, but looks like you heard  that in his message loud and clear. Looks like the song works as intended, doesn't it?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

His intent was much better, but his naitivity left a few people dead.  I wish he would understand that better rather than being paraded around as a hero from the far right.

I coulda sworn it was his AR-15-style rifle what left a few people dead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The reports I read were that the Aldean video was shot in front of a courthouse where an infamous lynching of a black happened.

I feel strongly that anyone filming a video in that setting with themes that portray mobs, violence and “try that..” has to be either a grossly insensitive/ignorant person, or a racist. Maybe both. Leaving out the setting, just taking the words into account is BS in my opinion.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

CMT did not ban the song because of the "politics". They banned it because the explicit threat of violence against people merely for protesting cops and the flag, the putting of protesters in the same category as carjackers and robbers, and the encouraging of people to use violence against all of them, creates a clear line of liability for them.

<snip>>

Funny how you leapt right to BLM. Even Jason Aldean didn't go all the way there, but looks like you heard  that in his message loud and clear. Looks like the song works as intended, doesn't it?

Watch the video, the clips aren't of protests, they are clips of violent riots, which the BLM protests as a whole were not, but there definitely were elements within some that were legit riots.  The left, and obviously you, are content to ignore that because it goes against your protest message, many on the right see people burning down their neighborhoods (which the vast majority of people in those neighborhoods don't want to see happen) as abhorrent.   Most of these clips were straight out of the BLM riots, which is why I pointed it out.  

18 minutes ago, Dan Gilmore said:

The reports I read were that the Aldean video was shot in front of a courthouse where an infamous lynching of a black happened.

I feel strongly that anyone filming a video in that setting with themes that portray mobs, violence and “try that..” has to be either a grossly insensitive/ignorant person, or a racist. Maybe both. Leaving out the setting, just taking the words into account is BS in my opinion.

My guess is Aldean had no idea about the history of that courthouse.  That said, I do agree with your second paragraph.  It's insensitive/ignorant at best.

18 minutes ago, Dan Gilmore said:

If this is true, case closed.

Not possible to look past this. Not possible to believe using this setting/backdrop was anything but intentional, making it all extremely “in your face” hostile. 

2 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

My guess is Aldean had no idea about the history of that courthouse.  That said, I do agree with your second paragraph.  It's insensitive/ignorant at best.

Oh, that’s got to be baloney. I can’t buy that at all.

5 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Watch the video, the clips aren't of protests, they are clips of violent riots, which the BLM protests as a whole were not, but there definitely were elements within some that were legit riots.  The left, and obviously you, are content to ignore that because it goes against your protest message, many on the right see people burning down their neighborhoods (which the vast majority of people in those neighborhoods don't want to see happen) as abhorrent.   Most of these clips were straight out of the BLM riots, which is why I pointed it out.  

You know as well as I do that not only do right wingers conflate protests and riots, they believe those kinds of protests are riots. They can't be separated. In fact, you are conflating BLM protests and riots right now. In fact, you're calling them "BLM riots"!

Ever see a BLM protest? I saw several, right here in Big Shoulders. Not one that I saw devolved into a riot, even when people were carrying Defund the Police signs right in front of the police. They were marching in a very peaceful and straightforward manner, in broad daylight and along the route the city prepared for them.The looting we saw here after sundown did not arise out of those protests. These were opportunists who saw an opening, and some were proven to be false flag actions. And they weren't "burning down their neighborhoods". All those violent reactions happening on the street were happening downtown, where people of modest means can't afford to live. But right wing media said they were destroying their own neighborhoods because it is in their interests to connect the political movement that is BLM with the lawlessness of individual actors coming together in a place who are purportedly willing to sacrifice the very places they live in order to, I guess, demonstrate what irrational, nhuman scum they are. And that's how right wing media get people hopped up to become responsive to Jason Aldean's message.

But please, tell me more about what I personally am content with. I need to learn more about myself.

12 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Oh, that’s got to be baloney. I can’t buy that at all.

The lynching occurred in the 1920's, but I just rewatched it with a focus on it like my high school English teacher asked us to do when we read the scarlet letter and look for the symbolism.

Opens up with the courthouse and yeah, it looks like a southern courthouse so yeah, no doubt he knew the full history.

:52 - Ford truck.  Added to show Aldean's anti-semite views.  Do you really think the Aldean doesn't know about Henry Ford's views?

1:56 Dodge police car.  The Dodge brothers were some of the first to hire black people in the auto industry.....why, because they wanted to build their company on the back of black people and take all the credit, just like the rest of white america.

2:03 - Fireworks shot off towards police.  An obvious dig at Asian Americans taking over this country.

2:40 - Farmers.  Seriously, is there anything more racist than farmers?  I hate farmers who go out there day in and day out and work their ass off, but deep down, you know they got their 40 acres and a mule.  Smug pricks.

12 minutes ago, chasfh said:

You know as well as I do that not only do right wingers conflate protests and riots, they believe those kinds of protests are riots. They can't be separated. In fact, you are conflating BLM protests and riots right now. In fact, you're calling them "BLM riots"!

Ever see a BLM protest? I saw several, right here in Big Shoulders. Not one that I saw devolved into a riot, even when people were carrying Defund the Police signs right in front of the police. They were marching in a very peaceful and straightforward manner, in broad daylight and along the route the city prepared for them.The looting we saw here after sundown did not arise out of those protests. These were opportunists who saw an opening, and some were proven to be false flag actions. And they weren't "burning down their neighborhoods". All those violent reactions happening on the street were happening downtown, where people of modest means can't afford to live. But right wing media said they were destroying their own neighborhoods because it is in their interests to connect the political movement that is BLM with the lawlessness of individual actors coming together in a place who are purportedly willing to sacrifice the very places they live in order to, I guess, demonstrate what irrational, nhuman scum they are. And that's how right wing media get people hopped up to become responsive to Jason Aldean's message.

But please, tell me more about what I personally am content with. I need to learn more about myself.

I don't understand the need to ignore a point that doesn't fit a narrative.  I'm not conflating anything.  I, unlike the far right, am saying that the vast majority of BLM protests were indeed protests (and peaceful).  There were some BLM riots, caused by pro-BLM folks, and again, I am aware there were instigators that were not pro-BLM that were involved in a portion of that already small portion that turned into riots, but your delusional if you think the only bad things that happen are because of folks that have different political beliefs as you.  

In that small portion that turned into riots, you're also right that you can segment that further into destroying a downtown community versus an area within a few blocks of where they live, which also happened in some circumstances.  All that said, I don't see a difference between someone destroying a Target they normally go to, versus a Target someone else normally goes too.

3 hours ago, ewsieg said:

He sounds like someone that shouldn't be carrying a gun.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I don't understand the need to ignore a point that doesn't fit a narrative.  I'm not conflating anything.  I, unlike the far right, am saying that the vast majority of BLM protests were indeed protests (and peaceful).  There were some BLM riots, caused by pro-BLM folks, and again, I am aware there were instigators that were not pro-BLM that were involved in a portion of that already small portion that turned into riots, but your delusional if you think the only bad things that happen are because of folks that have different political beliefs as you.  

In that small portion that turned into riots, you're also right that you can segment that further into destroying a downtown community versus an area within a few blocks of where they live, which also happened in some circumstances.  All that said, I don't see a difference between someone destroying a Target they normally go to, versus a Target someone else normally goes too.

I have seen no evidence that "BLM riots" were caused by "pro-BLM folks", unless you're suggesting as much since the people the media were showing to be acting out that summer were black, so therefore.

I would also like to see any evidence that "destroying ... an area within a few blocks of where they live ... also happened in some circumstances". Outside of looting a Target here or there, I don't see whether they destroyed entire areas, which was certainly the implication in that coverage. I didn't see where anyone set fire to their own homes, or to their neighbors' homes, or to anyone's homes for that matter, which is what destroying an area would certainly entail, since people do live in areas.

But in the end, who knows, maybe my refusing to take leaps on information I regard as insufficient is a testament to my delusions ...

Edited by chasfh

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

He sounds like someone that shouldn't be carrying a gun.  

The outcome certainly indicates you have a valid argument.  But legally, he did nothing wrong.  The same as I get upset at the left for not recognizing legitimate concerns with crime, it's equally frustrating at the right not recognizing concerns with unregulated guns in this country.

1 minute ago, ewsieg said:

The outcome certainly indicates you have a valid argument.  But legally, he did nothing wrong.  The same as I get upset at the left for not recognizing legitimate concerns with crime, it's equally frustrating at the right not recognizing concerns with unregulated guns in this country.

Also legally, enslavers raping the women they enslaved did nothing wrong.

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I have seen no evidence that "BLM riots" were caused by "pro-BLM folks", unless you're suggesting as much since the people the media were showing to be acting out that summer were black, so therefore.

I would also like to see any evidence that "destroying ... an area within a few blocks of where they live ... also happened in some circumstances". Outside of looting a Target here or there, I don't see whether they destroyed entire areas, which was certainly the implication in that coverage. I didn't see where anyone set fire to their own homes, or to their neighbors homes, or to anyone's homes for that matter, which is what destroying an area would certainly entail.

But in the end, who knows, maybe my refusing to take leaps on information I regard as insufficient is a testament to my delusions ...

200 buildings in Minneapolis/St. Paul were involved in arson.  Looking through the list, many are near the area Floyd was killed.  But hey, my local Kroger, pharmacy, auto repair shop, banks, gas stations, bars, restaurants, and police stations get burned down regularly but my house is never touched, hence I continue to live here as my community is so great.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_arson_damage_during_the_George_Floyd_protests_in_Minneapolis–Saint_Paul

Assigning who was responsible for the damage became a topic of political debate. Right-wing politicians blamed Antifa and radical leftists. Left-wing politicians blamed white supremacists and drug cartels. An FBI analysis of state and federal criminal charges, however, found that disorganized crowds had no single goal or affiliation, many opportunist crowds amassed spontaneously during periods of lawlessness, and that people causing destruction had contradictory motives for their actions.

2 hours ago, ewsieg said:

My guess is the background was selected specifically because of this history.