Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

15 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I understand the concern for local residents.  I would be concerned if there was a large influx influx of new people into my home town just because of logistics (something I mentioned in my post).  However, it's not a bunch of disease infested criminals invading America like many of the MAGA are saying.  There will be bad people among every group anywhere, but they are not committing crimes at a higher rate than native born Americans.  

I believe it matters that a level of order be maintained. In an organized society the public does have a right to expect that government maintain a level of orderliness and that does put it at odds with a situation where the number of people trying to cross the border overwhelms the resources available to insure any kind of orderly process, and this includes the situation downstream with the immigration courts and asylum adjudication. Previous admins, and apparently this one as well, appear to have taken a sort of backhanded approach, trying to make the apprehension experience bad enough to dissaude people. I think that is both cruel and ineffective. I tend more an more to believe that what has to happen is the US simply shut down our asylum policy. It's become a joke anyway. Either we decide to absorb the total population of Central America, or we say no-one is coming here other than by normal application process in your home country. I don't think the first proposition is going to fly poliitically in any version of the US I can conceive, so to me the second option is ultimately the more humane one. Only when the idea that crossing the border ad hoc has any hope of success iis totally removed, will the country regain control of the situation and a more humane system have any chance of existing. Everything else is just spitting into the wind.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Unfortunately, studies have shown than studies are far less effective at getting through to the maga right than something posted by a random guy on Facebook with a flag and the word Patriot in their profile.  

Don't forget the profile pic of them with their boat.  Or the "staring at the screen from the front seat with sunglasses on"

EFHzmqxUYAIyR1I.jpg

• Like 2

San Diego has the busiest international border in the Western Hemisphere. One of the safest large cities in the US. 

"SAN DIEGO — America’s Finest City is also one of the safest in country, according to annual crime statistics.

The San Diego Police Department announced Thursday that last year’s data has revealed an overall decrease of 7.5%, which authorities say is one of the lowest violent crime rates among the nation’s largest cities.

When taking a deeper look at the data, there are annual decreases in four of the seven categories that are considered when compiling the statistics. SDPD says those violent crimes categories include homicide, rape, robbery and aggravated assault and by property crimes like burglary, theft and vehicle theft.

Data shows San Diego saw decreases in both murder and rape, with a slight increase in violent crime due to upticks in robbery and aggravated assault. The statistics also show property crimes had a 9.7% decrease overall.

Other decreases include hate crime reports, which went down 17.4 %, and crimes committed by gang members, which went down 17%, according to the data."

San Diego crime rate; what is the crime rate in San Diego? Is San Diego safe? (fox5sandiego.com)

I can see not much has changed in this forum.  There are still a lot of blind followers of a political party feeding off of bad information or misinformation and ignoring reality.  There’s nothing you can do for those people because they live in their own fantasyland.

There is no point in arguing or debating taking guns away because it will never happen.  And yes millions of people own firearms for self protection. They are walking next to you on the street or in a store everyday.  I’m sure you all have heard the saying “take a knife to a gun fight” and if that is what you prefer to do then that’s up to you.  If you don’t know how to use a firearm or are frightened by one then you shouldn’t have one and that goes for everyone.  As for someone taking your gun away and shooting you with it as a reason people should not have a firearm, well that isn’t even a consideration.  Yes ,it can happen and has happened, even to police and soldiers in battle but its unlikely.  

You can ignore the invasion of the southern border but that won’t fix the problem.  It’s one of the worst security issues the US has ever faced and it was done intentionally by this administration.  I do believe that the majority of these people coming in are not here to be good people.  They bring drugs, crime and violent crimes.  As long as it doesn’t happen to you then it doesn’t matter.  I hate it happening to anyone and we need to border secured and Biden and Mayorcus will forever be known by this failure, like Carter is for Iran.  This situation is unexceptable for even a third world country but that’s where we are headed under the current failed administration.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Archie said:

I can see not much has changed in this forum.  There are still a lot of blind followers of a political party feeding off of bad information or misinformation and ignoring reality.  There’s nothing you can do for those people because they live in their own fantasyland.

Spider-Man: No Way Home's Spider-Mans recreate the pointing meme - Polygon

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, casimir said:

Unless one is full blown Native American, aren't we all descendants of migrants?

yeah but God deemed it so that Nordic and Anglo Saxons were destined to be here.  It's ours.  Never mind those here before.  We gave them the gift of.... whatever.

7 minutes ago, oblong said:

yeah but God deemed it so that Nordic and Anglo Saxons were destined to be here.  It's ours.  Never mind those here before.  We gave them the gift of.... whatever.

Well, I mean, I don't know about anyone else, but appears that most of these shooting sprees involving multiple victims are pretty much committed by the Nordic and Anglo Saxon distant descendant migrants.

I guess the other thing that I find questionable is that if so many people are packing heat these days, why are they not responding immediately in these situations and taking out the perp?  Why is it that so many of these are only stopped with police intervention?

2 minutes ago, casimir said:

I guess the other thing that I find questionable is that if so many people are packing heat these days, why are they not responding immediately in these situations and taking out the perp?  Why is it that so many of these are only stopped with police intervention?

not enough people packing multiple weapons.

7 minutes ago, casimir said:

Well, I mean, I don't know about anyone else, but appears that most of these shooting sprees involving multiple victims are pretty much committed by the Nordic and Anglo Saxon distant descendant migrants.

Even police intervention doesn't stop them. The Uvalde police just stood there. 

Speaking of Uvalde, one thing I don't think gets mentioned enough is that the shooter tried to buy a gun when he was 17 and didn't because it was illegal. As soon as he was legally able to buy a gun, he bought one and committed a mass shooting. When he was legally able to buy gun, he didn't get a hold of a gun and didn't shoot anybody. Flies in the face of only criminals will have guns. 

22 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

El Paso and San Diego are among the safest large cities in the US. 

Possibly in large part because these cities are populated by a high percentage of immigrants, many of them undocumented who are working hard and and keeping their heads down.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Possibly in large part because these cities are populated by a high percentage of immigrants, many of them undocumented who are working hard and and keeping their heads down.

San Diego had fewer Hispanics than I would have thought. Per the 2020 census, San Diego is 40% non Hispanic white, 29% Hispanic/Latino and 17% Asian. It still has more whites than any other race. 

22 hours ago, Archie said:

There is no point in arguing or debating taking guns away because it will never happen.  And yes millions of people own firearms for self protection. They are walking next to you on the street or in a store everyday.  I’m sure you all have heard the saying “take a knife to a gun fight” and if that is what you prefer to do then that’s up to you.  If you don’t know how to use a firearm or are frightened by one then you shouldn’t have one and that goes for everyone.  As for someone taking your gun away and shooting you with it as a reason people should not have a firearm, well that isn’t even a consideration.  Yes ,it can happen and has happened, even to police and soldiers in battle but its unlikely.  

You can ignore the invasion of the southern border but that won’t fix the problem.  It’s one of the worst security issues the US has ever faced and it was done intentionally by this administration.  I do believe that the majority of these people coming in are not here to be good people.  They bring drugs, crime and violent crimes.  As long as it doesn’t happen to you then it doesn’t matter.  I hate it happening to anyone and we need to border secured and Biden and Mayorcus will forever be known by this failure, like Carter is for Iran.  This situation is unexceptable for even a third world country but that’s where we are headed under the current failed administration.

You must live in an extremely dark, disturbing, depressing world. How sad.