Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

Happened to me once at a Chipotle early-ish in the pandemic. They were only open for carry-out so a lot of people were waiting in their cars for their orders to be ready. Just sitting there looking at my phone, and a girl suddenly opened the passenger door and sat down. She screamed and immediately ran out. Scared us both, for a second. 

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

Wrong door, wrong driveway, wrong car. We’ve all done something like that at least once in our lives. 

We’ve become the Wild West 

He probably thought they were drag queens and as we've learned from Bud LIght, nothing is scarier and brings more fear to old conservatives with guns than a drag queen.  They will cower in fear and curl up in the fetal position.

19 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I have done that more than once in my life - especially as I get older!  It last happened when I was tired after a hike in NH.  I tried to open a door of a car that looked just like mine.  It only lasted a second before I realized what I was doing.  This was open carry no license MAGA country, so my first thought once I figured it out was, what could have happened if the owner saw me.  It was maybe an irrational thought...but maybe not.  

These stories have me questioning one of my bike routes that I take.  Its a rails to trails blacktop trail, yellow stripe down the middle, mileage markers, signage when crossing vehicle roads, etc.  Its hard to think that it is not a public space.  But it also butts up against plenty of private properties, a few of which are noted as such.  I've never considered venturing off of the trail and onto someone's domain.  But, who knows, I have two wheels and a brightly colored bike helmet, so that might scare someone.  And I would have no chance to defend myself, I'm only packing a water bottle, phone, and earbuds.

6 minutes ago, casimir said:

These stories have me questioning one of my bike routes that I take.  It’s a rails to trails blacktop trail, yellow stripe down the middle, mileage markers, signage when crossing vehicle roads, etc.  It’s hard to think that it is not a public space.  But it also butts up against plenty of private properties, a few of which are noted as such.  I've never considered venturing off of the trail and onto someone's domain.  But, who knows, I have two wheels and a brightly colored bike helmet, so that might scare someone.  And I would have no chance to defend myself, I'm only packing a water bottle, phone, and earbuds.

A red maga hat is the only thing you could count on to keep you safe in that situation.  

4 minutes ago, casimir said:

These stories have me questioning one of my bike routes that I take.  Its a rails to trails blacktop trail, yellow stripe down the middle, mileage markers, signage when crossing vehicle roads, etc.  Its hard to think that it is not a public space.  But it also butts up against plenty of private properties, a few of which are noted as such.  I've never considered venturing off of the trail and onto someone's domain.  But, who knows, I have two wheels and a brightly colored bike helmet, so that might scare someone.  And I would have no chance to defend myself, I'm only packing a water bottle, phone, and earbuds.

I run/bike on trails like that all the time.  I always get a little nervous when it goes too close to a house.  1. I feel like I am invading their privacy (even though I don't leave the marked trail). 2. What you said.  

9 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

A red maga hat is the only thing you could count on to keep you safe in that situation.  

Well, I am middle aged, doughy, and white, so that might at least get me a warning.

Edited by casimir

10 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I run/bike on trails like that all the time.  I always get a little nervous when it goes too close to a house.  1. I feel like I am invading their privacy (even though I don't leave the marked trail). 2. What you said.  

There aren't many houses close to the trails that I use.  Kind of thinking through it, the houses that are close are within a village township area where the trails are used more frequently, so that kind of foot/bike traffic on the trail shouldn't be a surprise.

I had just purchased a brand new cherokee and was at the barber shop. I finished and went out and got into a red cherokee just like mine and started it up. I couldn't figure out why the radio station was on a religious station. So i started to drive a way and a lady came running up to me. I opened the window and she told me i was in her jeep. I'm like "what"? She repeated "that is my jeep".

Sure enough I looked and right next to spot where i got in her jeep was mine. Not sure how my key worked in her vehicle but it did. I could see my barber laughing his ass off at the door. He reminded me of that for years until he retired.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Gun rights folks always stump on gun safety, I guess that is out the window now.....

Yes, I have heard gun rights people talk about satefy and responsibility in gun ownership before.  I would imagine some of them might not like it when people trivialize gun ownership such as wearing tee shirts glorifying guns or making a family Christmas photo where everyone has a gun.  It seems that the country is getting further and further away from responsible gun ownership all the time.  

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 10:05 AM, Tiger337 said:

The right wing politicians and media have all the old men so scared, they shoot everything that moves.  

I've never understood why are white people so afraid of whose at their door or who could be lurking around a corner. I don't look at every knock on my door as a situation that could harm me. I don't think that I need to go grab a knife from my kitchen or a baseball bat because that knock might be the one that kills me.

2 hours ago, Stanley70 said:

I had just purchased a brand new cherokee and was at the barber shop. I finished and went out and got into a red cherokee just like mine and started it up. I couldn't figure out why the radio station was on a religious station. So i started to drive a way and a lady came running up to me. I opened the window and she told me i was in her jeep. I'm like "what"? She repeated "that is my jeep".

Sure enough I looked and right next to spot where i got in her jeep was mine. Not sure how my key worked in her vehicle but it did. I could see my barber laughing his ass off at the door. He reminded me of that for years until he retired.

Under the MAGA and right wing doctrine of self defense that lady would have been justified to pull out a gun and just start firing it at you. The far right believes that property is sacred and people are not. That without property rights you have no rights and so defending your turf is one of the most important things you can do for yourself and to protect your freedoms.

When I was a kid my dad and I were at a party store on Canton Center and Sheldon Rds. in Canton. My dad had a black Ford Probe and the car next to us was a black car also. As we were exiting the party store this older lady opened the passenger side door of his car and started to sit down inside of it. That was until her husband spoke up and asked her why she was getting into the wrong car. We all laughed about it and she got up and walked into her and her husbands car. I guess my dad would have been justified in blowing her away though under the white persons MAGA doctrine of self defense.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

10 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I've never understood why are white people so afraid of whose at their door or who could be lurking around a corner. I don't look at every knock on my door as a situation that could harm me. I don't think that I need to go grab a knife from my kitchen or a baseball bat because that knock might be the one that kills me.

When I lived in Detroit, we had someone tried to break in through a window. We didn't have a gun but the guy was tampering with my sister's window and she screamed bloody murder and the guy ran off. It got to the point where we didn't answer the door if we weren't expecting someone. This was before doorbell cameras became common. 

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

The gun nuts have already started with their "you can't ban assault weapons because you don't know what an assault weapon is".  

They've literally been banned at the federal level before.   What a bunch of dumb.

Edited by pfife