Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

Amazing that we can't have real, common-sense gun safety reforms and gun control because people want to cosplay as cowboys, police, soldiers, and warriors. I remember hearing the pro life right get worked up over furry and cat cosplayers and non-existent litterboxes in schools. But when kids are actually dying in schools and on the streets at the hands of guns, the pro life right is quick to side with the cosplayers.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

9 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Guns - Hate = Still Living too.  

I'm not against sensible gun laws, but it would be nice to combat some of this hate as well.

Sure, that would be great, but you can't change that by passing a law, like we might could with guns.

6 hours ago, oblong said:

yeah.  There's near term solutions and long term solutions.

I'm all in favor of new term solutions, but they aren't necessarily a panacea and it's not clear that even the incident that took place in Nashville would have been avoided through specific changes.

That's the irony of people (not necessarily Tigeraholic, but the gun nut pols who aren't interested in doing their jobs) who use 'hardening' as a means to avoid the elephant in the room: they will often argue or complain about people bringing up specific gun control measures that wouldn't have applied during a specific mass shooting, but yet will point to specific safety measures that may as well not have applied during same specific mass shooting. Same difference people lol

Edited by mtutiger

9 hours ago, oblong said:

I have a friend who's a retired chief and he's done some consulting, unofficially, for this kind of thing. One guy selling a system reached out to him for advice. One thing that many don't consider is proposed solutions by a man on the street won't meet fire code.  Trying to keep people out also means often keeping people in.

I once tried to explain that to a 2A friend and he responded with some statistic about no kids ever getting killed in fires...

Maybe that's because the doors were open! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

I'm all in favor of new term solutions, but they aren't necessarily a panacea and it's not clear that even the incident that took place in Nashville would have been avoided through specific changes.

That's the irony of people (not necessarily Tigeraholic, but the gun nut pols who aren't interested in doing their jobs) who use 'hardening' as a means to avoid the elephant in the room: they will often argue or complain about people bringing up specific gun control measures that wouldn't have applied during a specific mass shooting, but yet will point to specific safety measures that may as well not have applied during same specific mass shooting. Same difference people lol

I watched security and body cam footage and the shooter blasted thru the glass on the doors. Never even opened them just crawled thru 

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Sure, that would be great, but you can't change that by passing a law, like we might could with guns.

As unlikely as it is, I think we have a better chance at a unifying leader than getting any gun laws passed, let alone any sensible ones that actually could help.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Thre will be no more hating.  It's the law.  

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Unless they're superseded by the Religious Right's interpretation of the constitution

Edited by CMRivdogs

I told a couple ppl this in DM's, but... for those of you who've been in this community for 16+ years now, this is jarring.

On facebook, a colleague of mine showed up in the ppl you may know. I poked around and saw an old profile picture, him in Virginia Tech gear reloading a rifle. That was triggering to me... By my math, he would have started at VT about 3-4 years after the tragedy, but damn...

• Sad 4

14 hours ago, oblong said:

I watched security and body cam footage and the shooter blasted thru the glass on the doors. Never even opened them just crawled thru 

You are right, unless we truly turn schools into prisons there is no stopping this evil. Even if we are able to ban AR's someone could do the same thing with a handgun I would imagine. 

22 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

You are right, unless we truly turn schools into prisons there is no stopping this evil. Even if we are able to ban AR's someone could do the same thing with a handgun I would imagine. 

I meant blast through a glass door. I am all for gun control as stated before. We have more than just a gun problem though we have a massive mental health crisis as well.

Edited by Tigeraholic1

We do.  we need to make it harder to get guns.  I'm sorry it means that a "good" gun owner who is responsible and won't hurt anyone and will protect us if needed has to do more paperwork and perhaps wait a few more days.  If I had to wait a few more days to participate in one of my hobbies but it meant it could prevent someone else from killing others, I would do it.

Too many gun control opponents think the standard is "Unless we can prevent everything then we shouldn't try to prevent anything".

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I meant blast through a glass door. I am all for gun control as stated before. We have more than just a gun problem though we have a massive mental health crisis as well.

You will not get an argument from me about spending more on mental health.... having said that, I don't believe the United States is unique in having people within it's borders who have mental health issues. Our counterparts in Europe and Canada no doubt have people living within their borders who have mental health issues, yet on a per capita basis, they do not have the problems that we have with shooting incidents.

Which brings us back to the overarching point.... I have seen a lot of politicians run for a variety of excuses over the years for why we have gun violence at the scale we have it in this country, or why we have mass shooting incidents in schools and public spaces at the scale we have it. They talk about building design and mental health and video games and any number of subjects. In this case, they are even engaging in identity politics over the individual shooter (see preceding post from Stan 2.0).

But none of that matters.... if something is to be done *at scale* about the problem, we need to talk about the guns. And unfortunately, almost all Republican politicians have shut down any real discussion on that subject in this country. 

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Amazing that we can't have real, common-sense gun safety reforms and gun control because people want to cosplay as cowboys, police, soldiers, and warriors. I remember hearing the pro life right get worked up over furry and cat cosplayers and non-existent litterboxes in schools. But when kids are actually dying in schools and on the streets at the hands of guns, the pro life right is quick to side with the cosplayers.

As opposed to a liberal cosplayer?

u5veUVUvMB7m.jpeg

Amazing how all the people who get bent out of shape when people point out the identity of a white male shooter and their political identity seem to have no problem scoring some points when the shooter comes from a cohort they hate.

Really the identities don't matter.... it comes down to the access to guns.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I have worked in the mental health/substance abuse treatment field for years and my colleagues fret any time Republicans are in charge at the state or national level because they know that means that many mental health and substance abuse and mental health treatment programs are going to be shut down.   

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I have worked in the mental health/substance abuse treatment field for years and my colleagues fret any time Republicans are in charge at the state or national level because they know that means that many mental health and substance abuse and mental health treatment programs are going to be shut down.   

We all know that needs to change. I do like seeing in a smaller scale sports having mental health coaches now. I guess the more mainstream acknowledging mental health as a crisis the more change can occur.