Gun Legislation, Crime, and Events

Tigerbomb13

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Fun Fact, Jacksonville and Miami have higher murder rates than New York and have Republican mayors. 

I knew that only b/c I never saw their mayors referenced on Fox News.  If they were democrats it would be all they talk about.  They're focus now is some Murtaugh murder.... like they are Court TV

New York is actually a really safe city when you consider the population.     Stay out of Central Park at night.  Lots of places to hide and not heavily patrolled at night because it's technically "closed" (as much as you can close an open un-gated area).  You take the Central Park at night factor out of it and New York is actually extremely safe for the population it has.   But you know, can't tell that to a Conservative because it's a cultural melting pot and well, no way THAT can be safe, right? 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

Now their argument is land area and total murders. I didn't even get into the horrible planning in which Jacksonville is twice the size in land area as New York but about 10% the population. Perhaps it's the reason Florida is the least affordable state in the country. It's not California but the media hasn't gotten the memo yet. 

8 hours ago, oblong said:

They'll blame a "woke" prosecutor or something.

Jacksonville...

City Council is 14-5 Republican Majority. Every elected executive is a Republican, including the sheriff and district attorney. The one thing Florida kinda has going for it is the gun laws aren't batshit lax. That is likely to change in the upcoming legislative session, though, as the memory of the Parkland shooting has worn off with NRA help.

17 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Jacksonville...

City Council is 14-5 Republican Majority. Every elected executive is a Republican, including the sheriff and district attorney. The one thing Florida kinda has going for it is the gun laws aren't batshit lax. That is likely to change in the upcoming legislative session, though, as the memory of the Parkland shooting has worn off with NRA help.

When Republicans held public meetings they banned guns there.   But they think college students should be free to walk around campuses with guns?   college students.   i can tell you this with complete confidence.  college kids are too stupid and immature to be walking around with guns.   I include myself in that when I was that age.   Does that mean they can go into football games with guns?   If they allow that I guarantee something really really bad will happen, but they seem to be guns everywhere all the time (except where Ron DeSantis is speaking, of course).    Fuckin' dumbass white people.  

13 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

When Republicans held public meetings they banned guns there.   But they think college students should be free to walk around campuses with guns?   college students.   i can tell you this with complete confidence.  college kids are too stupid and immature to be walking around with guns.   I include myself in that when I was that age.   Does that mean they can go into football games with guns?   If they allow that I guarantee something really really bad will happen, but they seem to be guns everywhere all the time (except where Ron DeSantis is speaking, of course).    Fuckin' dumbass white people.  

To be fair most college age students are what make up war time Soldiers and Marines. Granted they are properly trained but are capable.  

26 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

To be fair most college age students are what make up war time Soldiers and Marines. Granted they are properly trained but are capable.  

There is a BIG BIG BIG BIG difference in the amount of training they get and just some dude on a college campus.    How about cracking down on the people supplying guns to those who can't get them?   Might be a start.  

2 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Young people are capable of doing things better than older people for the most part.  What they lack is training and experience.  I think they make good soldiers because, in part, because they are less resistant to learning new things and less cynical of why we are even at war.  Without the training and discipline, they are dangerous. 

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think they make good soldiers because, in part, because they are less resistant to learning new things

When it comes to soldiering, the young make the best soldiers because they are the least risk averse, and are easiest to condition to reduce scruples about killing other people  - which is the brutal end implementation of your point above.

Yeah I mean we don’t know the whole story so this could be premature but they appeared to be bullies. So…. Yeah the guy was wrong but if you keep going after someone you have to expect a response.  People snap and why help them or push them to that.  Did the vet have some kind of ptsd?

On 2/23/2023 at 5:35 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

The kind of kids who are wired to pursue white-collar and professional higher education at colleges and universities are generally not the kind of kids to walk around campus brandishing weapons.

9 hours ago, oblong said:

Yeah I mean we don’t know the whole story so this could be premature but they appeared to be bullies. So…. Yeah the guy was wrong but if you keep going after someone you have to expect a response.  People snap and why help them or push them to that.  Did the vet have some kind of ptsd?

While It’s hard to feel sympathetic for people who pay the price for egging on and daring others to snap, this is one of the problems with moving about certain segments of society that are highly armed and socially reward tough guy standoff behavior.

12 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

So I was kind of interested in he backstory on that one. Turns out the shooter is a retired Navy vet. I've read some say he was gay and it sounded like they called him queer in the video. They say these people constantly harassed him for being gay. 

We have a guy on our normal dog walk who apparently is the local candy man who sells whatever weird substances out of the house he clearly inherited.  Through inaction he's turned a house worth a lot into the eyesore of the block and to boot he does a lot of car maintenance on a Volkswagen bug and a Mazda Miata (and not the more recent Miata that I think looks awesome) in the driveway.   So, he's also trans.  And walks up and down this street looking like a cast member from Rocky Horror.   Basically, quite the standout in appearance among the frumpy suburban types.

Anyway, I like to tell my kids:  "despite what the movies and tv shows say, the person who is different isn't always secretly a good person"

I mean… on the video the “victim” is like “come on shoot me. I dare you”.  He did.  Guy ran away after his wife was shot but still alive.  

he egged the guy on calling him a pussy.  So the last words he heard were “who’s a pussy now?”  

I just can’t get worked up about this. They share a lot of responsibility for what happened to them.  They were threatening him. 

32 minutes ago, oblong said:

I mean… on the video the “victim” is like “come on shoot me. I dare you”.  He did.  Guy ran away after his wife was shot but still alive.  

he egged the guy on calling him a pussy.  So the last words he heard were “who’s a pussy now?”  

I just can’t get worked up about this. They share a lot of responsibility for what happened to them.  They were threatening him. 

It sounds like, from what I read, he wasn't the only person they bullied.  

2 minutes ago, romad1 said:

We needed a realtor intervention for all three idiots.

The way I read it is they didn't just clear snow off of their cars, they deliberately blew it on to his property.  But it didn't look like that and it was mentioned they threw snow in his yard.   I don't know why throwing snow into a yard would even bother anyone, but throwing or blowing it on to someone's driveway or walk after they had cleared it - yeah, that would be a total dick move.   My next door neighbor, the neighbor on his other side would always blow snow onto his driveway and sidewalk after he'd cleared it and it did it on purpose (mean, drunk idiot)........

My neighbor got revenge the following spring when his son stopped by.   Told him to maybe miss the curb a little bit in his Cherokee and maybe drive on the guy's grass a little bit.........he did it on a day it was raining...........you could see the tracks all Summer.  Revenge is best served cold, but I doubt the guy was sober enough to even notice.  Probably thought he did it himself.   Immature, but certainly better than shooting someone.